Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual) - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #211
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:28 AM
You guys are driving me nuts "oh wah wah, why did all these classic albums make this list, it should be full of INDIE MUSIC!!!" when on the other hand two really freaking new albums made the top of the list you whine "Oh In Rainbows doesn't DESERVE to be here, on Funeral shouldn't have made the top ten" FFS. The reason those albums made the list is because people who love them, placed them highly on their list. This was NOT based on album sales, or critic recommendations, it was based on the personal taste of 36 people on a message board for a band that has been around for over 30 years!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #212
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Also a little disappointed at the total lack of any Elton John or Billy Joel from the top 100. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Stranger anyone?
I tried to help out Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but it wasn't enough. The Stranger had a number of appearances, but they were lower than necessary.

There were too many repeat artists, I will concede. Imagine what it would have been like with all of the restrictions relaxed!

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #213
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You guys are driving me nuts "oh wah wah, why did all these classic albums make this list, it should be full of INDIE MUSIC!!!" when on the other hand two really freaking new albums made the top of the list you whine "Oh In Rainbows doesn't DESERVE to be here, on Funeral shouldn't have made the top ten" FFS. The reason those albums made the list is because people who love them, placed them highly on their list. This was NOT based on album sales, or critic recommendations, it was based on the personal taste of 36 people on a message board for a band that has been around for over 30 years!
Don't look at me. I didn't contradict myself - the classic albums should be there AND In Rainbows didn't deserve to be that high.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Classic albums are classic for a reason. I couldn't be happier that the list was filled with classic albums! Being an indie snob just to be anti-mainstream and elitist gets a HUGE thumbs down from me!

I generally like music if it sounds good to me. Doesn't matter whether it is indie or mainstream. But I don't get people who fill their list up with indie music and pretty much avoid anything popular just because Rolling Stone or the critics like it!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #215
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
But I don't get people who fill their list up with indie music and pretty much avoid anything popular just because Rolling Stone or the critics like it!
Quote:
Violator is such a "rolling stone" pick!

Now.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
For someone who grew up with a lot of the 'classic' music that made this list, you seem to be taking it for granted.

I think you were the one who asked earlier, so I'll answer: Yes, I do actually listen to Led Zeppelin on a regular basis. As well as the Beatles. As well as Floyd.
Good for you. I have no problem with that. I have conceded several times already that it's good that younger people are discovering the music that I grew up with, and that that music meant a lot to me at the time so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I also think, as someone else pointed out, that some of the music the classics inspired sound better today than the classics themselves, and I was surprised that the list did not include more of a balance of classics and more recent music.

My comment about a post-80s list wasn't necessarily an attack on pre-80s music but more that we've done that, now let's do something else fun. I believe I clarified that as well.

That is my opinion, and that is all..
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #217
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I find it interesting that you cite Arcade Fire when making the argument that the choice was too safe when the Beatles and Zeppelin dominated much of the top 50.
Arcade Fire are a "safe" indie band that a lot of people on here have heard of thanks to them opening for U2...

I'm not saying they are bad, both of their albums were in fact on my list, I'm just saying it's sad when they were the most obscure band to make the list...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Oh snap! Good catch! That "rolling stone" comment was really tongue in cheek. I have no problems appreciating albums that are critically acclaimed. Like I said, if it sounds good, it's good.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #219
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
lol @ The Bends

Listening to Travis > Police Academy or any movie ever produced for that matter.

Nevermind is actually a really good album. I went off it for a few years ago there, and got back into it. It's one those that you appreciate in waves, yet it's something stonger than nostalgia. It flows very nicely and doesn't really have any weak moments on it. If anything, it's only weakness is that we've heard the anthems SOOO many times (Come As You Are, Teen Spirit, Lithium, Polly), and they are really are anthems in the proper timelessness sense. The cultural significance of the album, love it or loathe it and whether or not it has perhaps been over-emphasised due to Cobain's tragic end, is mega.
Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and you being horribly wrong about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Next person who quotes the entire first post of this thread gets their shin kicked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Am I the only person that had Jane's Addiction on their list? What is wrong with you people? Philistines! I am surrounded by Philistines!
Good thing Beav has no legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post

We should do a list with nothing before 1980 allowed.
I would love to do that, actually. A lot of the albums that would fit in my 50-100 range fall within the last 15-20 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I tried to help out Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but it wasn't enough. The Stranger had a number of appearances, but they were lower than necessary.

There were too many repeat artists, I will concede. Imagine what it would have been like with all of the restrictions relaxed!
I had The Stranger on mine, wished it would have made it. The most surprising album was that Love album... the first time I had ever heard of it was on one of your DI lists.

Quote:
Good for you. I have no problem with that. I have conceded several times already that it's good that younger people are discovering the music that I grew up with, and that that music meant a lot to me at the time so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I also think, as someone else pointed out, that some of the music the classics inspired sound better today than the classics themselves, and I was surprised that the list did not include more of a balance of classics and more recent music.

My comment about a post-80s list wasn't necessarily an attack on pre-80s music but more that we've done that, now let's do something else fun. I believe I clarified that as well.

That is my opinion, and that is all..
You acting classy here totally ruins an entertainingly lame argument. Come on, now.

Hey Mel, I think what would make this process more fair is taking the total points, like you did, and multiplying them by the total lists they made it onto or something. That way, list representation and placement are on a little more even field? I don't know.

I would like to re-do the Interference's Top 100 Movies in this format, if it's okay with you and if you guys are all interested.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #220
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and you being horribly wrong about everything.
In case you have forgotten, there is this thing called opinion. It is subjective and differs from person to person. You may think he is always wrong. I may think he is wrong only sometimes and he himself will think he is never wrong. All these opinions are valid.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #221
The Male

Quote:
I had The Stranger on mine, wished it would have made it. The most surprising album was that Love album... the first time I had ever heard of it was on one of your DI lists.
Bonnie used a track from Forever Changes on her DI5 entry, if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Hey Mel, I think what would make this process more fair is taking the total points, like you did, and multiplying them by the total lists they made it onto or something. That way, list representation and placement are on a little more even field? I don't know.
That is an excellent idea. Should have thought of it before. Sounds like good a way to make another Interference Top 100 Albums worthwhile in a few years. Increased accuracy and all that.

Now.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:

I would like to re-do the Interference's Top 100 Movies in this format, if it's okay with you and if you guys are all interested.
I don't like the classic movies either, for the record.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #223
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

NO RAMONES???????
Old 11-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #224
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Quote:
In case you have forgotten, there is this thing called opinion. It is subjective and differs from person to person. You may think he is always wrong. I may think he is wrong only sometimes and he himself will think he is never wrong. All these opinions are valid.
Zoots, I absolutely agree with everything you're saying here, as I always have, but is it wrong for me to assert mine as well? Do I have to preface every post of mine with "in my opinion"? No, I don't. I kind of expect some of the people here to have the wherewithal to understand that.

When I give you shit about liking stuff and you get offended, I apologize... I just hope you realize that it's clearly all in good fun.

Plus, he's my nemesis, it's crucial to the dynamic that this continues.

Quote:
I don't like the classic movies either, for the record.
Hah, it's totally cool. I pretty much reach the '70s, maybe the '60s, and that's about it.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #225
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Zoots, I absolutely agree with everything you're saying here, as I always have, but is it wrong for me to assert mine as well? Do I have to preface every post of mine with "in my opinion"? No, I don't. I kind of expect some of the people here to have the wherewithal to understand that.
Wrong.