I'm starting a thread about the Barenaked Ladies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gordon is great. Stunt is extremely patchy. That's all I've heard besides their Greatest Hits, which is really the only thing I'd play.

patchy? stunt is great. as is born on a pirate ship. everything to everyone is patchy, unless you and i are operating under different definitions of the word, and in that case you should disregard all of this. maybe you should drive and maroon are also good.

the new one's a bit boring. is that why no one's talking about it? it sounds nice, and there are a couple good songs, but it's awfully dull to listen to in its entirety in one sitting.

i never saw the monkey video, and i haven't seen this video. i don't think i've seen a video of theirs since pinch me.

fah said:
My copy of the new record has not arrived via Canada Post yet :mad:

I like the new single 'Easy' and thought the video was good ~ much better than the monkey one :uhoh:
That might be your issue, there. :(

Headache in a Suitcase said:
every time i hear that if i had a million dollars song i want to stab my ear drum with a pencil.

but that's just me.

justin timberlake has that effect on me. :shrug:

Wind It Up
The Old Apartment
Sound of Your Voice
King of Bedside Manor
Life, in a Nutshell
When I Fall
In the Car
Humor of the Situation
Maybe Katie
Adrift
Maybe Not
New Kid on the Block (acoustic)
Fun & Games (acoustic)
Too Little Too Late
Bank Job
Angry People
Pinch Me
Break Your Heart
It's All Been Done
One Week
Brian Wilson
Easy
Another Postcard
If I Had $1000000

it was truly awesome to hear "when i fall" live.

apparently i failed again when i bought the album (like i did when i only bought the one-disc version of everything to everyone--i was distracted by the crappy cover art that time, and the fact that i wasn't even aware they had a new album out until i saw it in the store), and there were things i didn't know. like "fun and games", "angry people," and "maybe not." so i guess i have to give up and buy some mp3s. well, maybe not right now, but sometime in the near future.

Apparently Ed said on stage at the Mohegan show last week they'd bust out some Christmas songs in December. This tour is just to push 'BLAM'.

Eh. I don't really think it's that big of a deal. :shrug: I doubt that he's a hard core user or anything. It was just kind of stupid the way he got caught.

I don't understand his manager's confidence that he will be exonerated, especially when he was caught red-handed, and according to court papers, admitted to using/possessing it. And, the timing is unfortunate, considering that they just put out a kid's album.

OK - yeah I'm bumping this but there is news relating to the mighty BNL.

Looks like the new album will be delayed until March 2010 - there was hope that we'd hear it in December - but no joy. In other news Tyler Stewart has been annoounced as an 'Entertainment Director' for the Ice Hockey venues during the Vancouver Olympics - pretty much guaranteeing a BNL show at one of the victoiry ceremonies at BC Place during the Games :)

Plus they seem to be gigging sporadically (oh 'Cleuless' reference!) throughout North America at the moment.

I like the new live versions of the classics - Kevin Hearn has stepped up to sing most of Steve Page's bits and he does a good job.

So i was at Louis CK show a few weeks back and while I was waiting in line I was all like "hey theres the guy from the barenaked ladies" to my girlfriend. and she was all like "oh ya. it is" It was Ed. He was all typing on his phone and such

I'm wondering when Steve Page will release his next solo album - 'The Vanity Project' wasn't too bad so I live in hope that whatever he does next will be decent.

I'm wondering when Steve Page will release his next solo album - 'The Vanity Project' wasn't too bad so I live in hope that whatever he does next will be decent.

yeah, it wasn't amazing overall, but there were a couple tunes on it i really liked.

i feel weird about them being page-less now.

I like the new live versions of the classics - Kevin Hearn has stepped up to sing most of Steve Page's bits and he does a good job.

i bet he does. he's a damn good musician. i'm still on the fence as far as wanting to hear this, though. i'd compare my curiousity to the morbid curiousity of not being able to look away a car wreck* but as i really hate rubbernecking toolbags and have seen plenty of fucked up people at work, i'm kind of avoiding it. i know they've put out official show bootlegs since moving on as a 4-piece, but i can't really get myself to take a listen.

kind of like the show i went to the last time they came through here...it was depressing. pretty sure it was the "bnl are me" tour, and the mullins center at umass amherst was maybe half full? if i recall correctly, the maroon tour sold out, and the everything to everyone tour did decently well. my decent non-floor (can't think of the word for the actual seat sections at the moment) seats ended up being shitty side-of-the-stage view, almost behind the stage actually, because tickets sold so poorly the stage was moved way up to the middle of the arena. the crowd--atleast from what i could see from where i was sitting--was an unenthusiastic bunch of fatasses who didn't even get up from their seats during brian wilson or one week.

*now i have a strange urge to listen to "tonight is the night i fell asleep at the wheel". yeah, i'm gonna do that.

i know they've put out official show bootlegs since moving on as a 4-piece, but i can't really get myself to take a listen.

I kind of agree. However I did download it (legit) and had a listen. Some of the tracks work OK without Steve - but 'If I Had $1,000,000', 'The Old Apartment' and 'Shopping' in particluar seem really weird with Kevin and not Steven. '$1,000,000' was as much about Ed and Steven goofing off during the verses as the actual song - so that is where I miss him the most.

I'm glad to see that haven't even tried 'What A Good Boy' or 'Alternative Girlfriend' for instance. I always personally preferred the Ed songs so I'm going to keep going with BNL - but it is definitely a different dynamic.

Oh - and they are playing at the Molson House on Feb 13 during the Vancouver Games - $450 but that includes drinks and food and a portion of the money goes to charity apparently. I hope they still do a victory ceremony in Vancouver -they've confirmed they are playing one up in Whistler but there are no buses back to Vancouver after the nightly ceremonies up there and there is no accommodation at all available in Whistler itself...

i don't quite think i could handle hearing "the old apartment" without mr. page on lead vocals. that does not sit well with me at all.

agreed about million dollars being as much about goofing around as anything. i heard the rock spectacle version of that on the radio last night, and it made me happy. forgot how much fun that song was live (minus that whole getting smacked in the back of the head 10 years ago with the entire friggin box of mac n cheese thing).

i've always been a far bigger fan of the steven page songs, so maybe that's some of it. although i think i'd be just as weirded out if it were the other way around and ed robertson was the one out of the band.

good fucking thing they have the sense not to do stuff like "what a good boy." please tell me same goes for "break your heart."

heh. i'm listening to pirate ship now. that's still one of my all-time favorite albums.

Back
Top Bottom