Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blackstar, Blonde, Wildflower, TLOP, A Moon Shaped Pool, Atrocity Exhibition, Malibu and Skeleton Tree came out this year. It's gonna have to get in line.

Been listening to it all day. It's pretty damn great.

Think .Paak might have AOTY when the dust settles.

Blackstar, Blonde, Wildflower, TLOP, A Moon Shaped Pool, Atrocity Exhibition, Malibu and Skeleton Tree came out this year. It's gonna have to get in line.

Aside from my last comment, Atrocity Exhibition is the only one of these that I'm really going to remember for the next 5-10 years.

Blonde, AMSP, Wildflower and (I left it off that list) Teens of Denial are the ones I expect to be returning to frequently in the years to come. They've all made a huge impact on my life and given me a lot of joy in an otherwise terrible year.

Blackstar just isn't something I can put myself through regularly. Same with AE and Skeleton Tree. But they're all undeniably great works of art and expression.

Ooo, I read right over Blonde on your list. That's another one for sure. My top 5 or whatever has seen continuous revision this year.

holy shit. i expected some good 90s level rhymes and some funky nostalgia, but the new tribe is really awesome entirely on its own merits.

OK, yeah, there are quite a few albums from 2016 that I like more than the new Tribe, but this shit is fucking wonderful. I can't stop playing it. The production is fresh and modern while still retaining their classic sound, the lyrics are powerful and relevant and there are so many little details that bring it together as a complete work. A borderline masterpiece.

It'll probably be #6 or #7 in my top 10. All death and misery aside, 2016 has delivered more than its fair share of passionate, cathartic and high quality music. In fact, in the case of We Got From Here, death and misery inspired that brilliant music.

My favorite hip-hop song from last year was Danny Brown's Lost, largely because of the sample it uses. I finally found what it is - highly, highly obscure in the form of a Chinese lounge song:

Why aren't we talking very much about RTJ3?

Am I just of the outside opinion that it's fantastic?

It didn't go over especially well here in our little community, but it has a really high metascore and it has a higher score on RYM than the first RTJ. It's growing on me to the point where I can say I really appreciate and enjoy most of it, but it's my least favorite.

You should listen to Tribe or Danny's new ones and tell us what you think.

RTJ3 is def great but also my least favorite of the three and came out in a strong year of hip hop albums.

It didn't go over especially well here in our little community, but it has a really high metascore and it has a higher score on RYM than the first RTJ. It's growing on me to the point where I can say I really appreciate and enjoy most of it, but it's my least favorite.

You should listen to Tribe or Danny's new ones and tell us what you think.

I haven't been the biggest fan of them in the past, so I'm surprised by how much I fucking love this record. But I do fucking love it.

I finally listened to some old school Tribe and it may have eclipsed NWA for my favorite hip hop album of all time, actually, so I'm ready to give the new one a go. Danny's song on the RTJ3 album was my second favorite, so I'm also more than willing to give that a spin.

Atrocity Exhibition is really some next level shit. That album is going to go down as something visionary even if its aesthetic doesn't catch on more widely.

I've heard three tracks from RtJ3 on the radio. Personally I think El significantly outperforms Mike on all three.

I was not really feeling the Danny Brown album, guys. There were a LOT of songs on it I liked, but just as many I hated. Very mixed bag, but a few songs getting added to the rotation for me.

Really Doe is my shit.

Yeah idk Danny is divisive and I used to hate his voice but now I think everything he does is awesome. AE establishes such a mindbending, detailed universe that's completely unique within hip hop and brings some beats to the table that most rappers wouldn't know what to do with (Ain't It Funny, Golddust, White Lines). Very special album on a purely sonic level. But no, it's not going to be everyone's thing. Same goes for his other albums.

I actually think I prefer XXX to AE these days because it's such a startling, potent album lyrically. My main criticism of AE is that it covers a lot of the same thematic ground as XXX but without as much flair or humor. He wasn't just hungry on XXX, he was fucking desperate and it came through in his rapping. DNA, Pac Blood and Party All the Time are career-defining songs. Beat wise, though, I think AE is better.

Last edited:
For me, I still think his best song is Grown Up. But I didn't really spend enough time with Atrocity Exhibition. Agree on Ain't it Funny. That shit's wild.

Tell you what else is dope as all hell... Conrad Tokyo.

Handful of great songs on Lupe's new album: Law, Jump, Dopamine Lit. None of them are as good as Mural from his last album. Overall a 6.5 album that's worth a listen.

Back
Top Bottom