Green Day - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 PM
I'm not so sure. NLOTH was very low, only 4.2. I could see this being somewhere in the 5 range.

They gave American Idiot a 7.2, which for Pitchfork is amazing.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I'm not so sure. NLOTH was very low, only 4.2. I could see this being somewhere in the 5 range.

They gave American Idiot a 7.2, which for Pitchfork is amazing.
I actually agree with pitchfork on AI, I'd say it's around a 7, maybe closer to a high 7. If Pitchfork gave the new album in the 5s I'd probably agree with them, I still can't get over the 4.2 for NLOTH especially in comparison to Bomb's 6.9

Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
Local Time: 05:17 PM
GDA | Green Day Tour Dates

I might have to wait until 2010 to see them-unless I get lucky this year! too many bands I want to see
Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So, my 17 year old cousin-in-law needs a chaperone for the show in Philly, and is bringing along my brother-in-law. Neither of them knows the city well. Lucky for me. My wife's aunt is paying for all three of us, I only have to get them from our apartment in University City to the show and back. Free Green Day concert =

So, as to the new album. I didn't love it at first, but the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. I don't like all of it, and some songs are just meh. But there are some real highlights. I'd put it somewhere behind American Idiot and Warning but ahead of Dookie. The music itself sounds fantastic overall, but BJ's lyrics are more vague than I think they've ever been. That's the problem I have with both American Idiot and Warning - recurring characters don't necessarily make an album coherent. I miss the self-contained songs with varied isntrumentation on Warning, but this is still a great record.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #140
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
I like it, but I don't get it. The story doesn't seem as clear as AI did. Maybe a few more listens and something will click (cause I can be kind of slow sometimes).
American Idiot was a concept album about how much George Bush sucked, while 21st Century Breakdown is a concept album about recovering from how much George Bush sucked. That's all you need to know.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Its definitely a grower this album. I've probably nearly reached 10 listens, and loving it more with each listen. I think this is Punk/Pop-Rock done right. Its got a little bit of everything.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The setlist from a NYC club show looks quite promising, as posted by Rolling Stone:

“21st Century Breakdown”
“Know Your Enemy”
“East Jesus Nowhere”
“Before The Lobotomy”
“Last Of The American Girls”
“Murder City”
“Viva La Gloria (Little Girl)”
“The Static Age”
“21 Guns”
“American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World)”
“See The Light”

“American Idiot”
“Jesus Of Suburbia”
“Longview”
“Who Wrote Holden Caufield?”
“Dominated Love Slave”
“Going To Pasalacqua”
“She”
“King For A Day”/”Shout” [Isley Brothers cover]
“Minority”

I would rather go to a show like this than one where the entire album is played. I like the mix of singles and more obscure back catalogue tracks. As singles go, "She" is a better chioce than "Basket Case" or "Welcome to Paradise," as well. And I would give my left pinky toe to see "Dominated Love Slave" live. And "Going to Pasalacqua"? I had no idea these guys played anything off of their first album anymore. And two songs from Kerplunk? The only thing I would change is more material from Nimrod or Warning, maybe at least one track from Insomniac even though everyone has forgotten it. Maybe swap the title track from AI for "Holiday" or "She's a Rebel," but still a great set.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #143
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
I'd imagine about the same, I really can't get into this album at all, it's just a sub-par American Idiot to me. And American Idiot wasn't that great an album in the first place anyway...
if you consider american idiot to be not that great an album then there's no chance you'll even consider getting into this album.

american idiot was fantastic.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
if you consider american idiot to be not that great an album then there's no chance you'll even consider getting into this album.

american idiot was fantastic.
American Idiot was a good album with some truly great tracks, it was nothing mind blowing though. The best part of it was the longer songs
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's hilarious that Pitchfork hasn't even bothered posting a review of the album yet. That can't be good.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #146
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Its definitely a grower this album. I've probably nearly reached 10 listens, and loving it more with each listen. I think this is Punk/Pop-Rock done right. Its got a little bit of everything.
I agree, though I have only listened twice now. The first time was really hard not to compare it to AI and feel Oh it's kinda the same but not as good, but the second time I wasn't thinking about AI anymore and I started liking it a lot more, and I'm really looking forward to listen #3. There are some great songs on there, and they seemed to really stand apart on 2nd listen.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow, loving this album with each listen. The songs are so rich. It seems a perfect fusion of mid-career and modern green day. Can definately hear some Dookie and Nimrod in there.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

Ok I officially like it now almost as much as AI. And that's saying a lot for me, I never thought I'd be saying it. I'm afraid the more I listen I may start to like it more than AI even.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

I love the incorporation of strigns and piano in these songs, and the fact that it hasn't taken away from the core sound.

21 Guns has been in my head all day. I think on a whole the songs are better on this album than AI, but AI's cohesion makes it a better album. This though is definately one that is greater than the some of it's parts, and when we properly decipher the story, I think itll be something pretty special
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #150
Blue Crack Distributor

^ I agree. I've listened 3 times all the way through, but I find I also keep skipping around and relistening to a lot of the songs that keep getting stuck in my head. Some of these songs are really catchy with great little melodies. A lot of them actually!

Tags
green day