FRIGHTENED RABBIT: The Winter of Mixed Drinks <3 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 AM
i'll leak on your FACE!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Yeah I officially love this fucking album. And this band are probably in my top 5. <333333333333333

Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
Blue Meth Addict

This music video is highly entertaining

YouTube - Frightened Rabbit "Nothing Like You"
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

gosh, this album is so enjoyable. once track 4 gets underway, the album just grabs me.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

For those of you who were fannies of Midnight Organ Fight and have heard this, do you think I should preorder it or not?

Y/N
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

absolutely. this is one of my top albums of the year so far.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

Fine then, Mikal. FINE.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

*shakes fist
Old 03-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
This music video is highly entertaining

YouTube - Frightened Rabbit "Nothing Like You"
i believe that the internet people invented "lol" for the express purpose of commenting on this video.'

lol

ok song.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #25
Refugee

probably going to be album of the year for me
Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #26
Refugee

P4K are ridiculous, giving this a 6.6 because they're not talking about one night stands and shit. They probably would have blown their top if they didn't change their lyrical content, and now they have, albeit to a minor extent, they're not happy. Damned if do, damned if don't etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

yeah, another awful review from Pitchfork. that's why i tend not to even read anything from them. i do use them as a tool to find new music, but then make my own opinions.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
Refugee

FWIW, I write for our uni's student magazine, and this is the review I wrote:

Oh, the trouble with music criticism. It’s hard enough releasing an album that the ‘the scene’ will collectively praise. It’s even harder following it up – if it’s not every bit as good, those same critics who built you up as the Next Big Thing will take to your pedestal with sharpened axes and flaming pitchforks (no pun intended).

If that’s the case, then with their latest offering, Frightened Rabbit have consolidated the strength and position of their pedestal, if not added a sturdy 10-metre extension to it. Continuing this tedious metaphor, The Winter of Mixed Drinks is every bit as well-built and durable as The Midnight Organ Fight, the pedestal it sits atop – not in superiority, but in mutual admiration.

Frightened Rabbit are from Scotland, and that’s pretty obvious when you listen to the cracked, trembling vox of frontman Scott Hutchison. Frightened Rabbit are essentially Hutchison’s band – their biggest appeal is not only his frighteningly honest and relatable lyrics, but his scruffy-hearted charm and delivery. Combined with the band’s jangly guitar, and thumping drums from Hutchison’s brother Grant, and you get a band that is deeply, deeply personal, and emotionally comforting.

The Winter of Mixed Drinks is, from the fragility and bitterness of opener ‘Things’ to Hutchison’s tenderness in closer ‘Yes I Would’, a consistently brilliant record. For instance, lead single ‘Swim Until You Can’t See Land’, a pulsating anthem balancing Hutchison’s desire for moving on with his fear of drowning in the past, would not be out of place on either BBC Radio 1, or even the staunchest of ternatives’ Spotify playlist. But further listens will reveal the deep cuts like the epic centerpiece ‘Skip the Youth’ and the glorious self-denial of ‘Not Miserable’ are just as rewarding. Rest assured, Frightened Rabbit’s pedestal will be standing tall, long into the future.

9.3/10.0
Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:46 AM
You know what, I really didn't care much for Midnight Organ Fight. Probably my loss, but now I'm quite compelled to give it another listen. My hopes were at rock bottom for The Winter of Mixed Drinks when all of the initial reviews came in. I REALLY have wanted to like Frightened Rabbit, I really have. Well, after one listen to WOMD I think I can say that for at least one album I do. Shearwater will have to stand aside, I have a new favorite album for 2010 /wanking
Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 AM   #30
The Male

Local Time: 03:46 AM
I'm going to use this post as an excuse to rant, and then I have no intention to return to this thread at any point in the future. So yes, this is a drive-by, but I do hope you can forgive that.

I'll preface this by saying that The Modern Leper is one of my favorite songs of the '00s. It has force, grace, passion and an intriguing lyrical metaphor taken to a glorious extreme. It's fucking great music. Sadly, I couldn't get into the rest of Midnight Organ Fight. As a matter of fact, I kind of hated it. There hasn't been a change of heart since: I still feel the album is overly precise, forlorn to a fault and its refusal to stray from the indie sadsack handbook gave it a hermetic quality at times that was in direct contrast to the sort of emotional catharsis they were pushing for.

WOMD though...it's better. It's more unified, a hair more fun (the difference between :'/ and :'| ), the music has greater depth and the hooks are stronger/present. But in spite of the fact that this is obviously a great effort on their part, the "if I'm going to reveal my feelings, I'm only going to do it through over-the-top histrionics and echoing piano chords" genre is wearing VERY thin, and this album absolutely refuses to stray from that. There are SO many albums that attempt the same things, and I actually have personal connections to those records that would make me want to clutch to them in the depressing scenarios that this album was meant to provide the soundtrack to.

Do I like The Winter of Mixed Drinks? No. But I think it's a quality example of a sound I'm beginning to despise. Glad you guys dig it, even if I can't get into it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote