Elbow - Leaders of the Free World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like The Stops too, it's just not one I'd tell people to "listen for". Of the slow songs, Imagined Affair is probably my favorite.

I was waiting for that signature startling moment, like the screaming guitars on Tailfly and the blaring horns on Starlings...the mystery plucking on The Everthere sort of qualifies.

I was just going over the songs on Leaders and other than Puncture Repair - which isn't a bad song -there really isn't anything on that album I would skip regularly...

I think it may have replaced Kid as my favourite Elbow album

Joyful, did you get Cast Of Thousands yet, I'm listening to it now and it's still a decent album on it's own :up:

Not yet but I almost ran out and bought it when it first came out the minute I heard Ribcage but there was always something I wanted more and then I sort of forgot about them for awhile. But it has become clear that I love Elbow and will have it shortly.

:dance: Again, its not a weak album, its just that Elbow albums have set such a high standard now. :love:

I definitely like how we have an active discussion of them, they aren't known enough even now. Particularly in the United States.

I definitely like how we have an active discussion of them, they aren't known enough even now. Particularly in the United States.

When I listen to them I feel like they should be huge but I'm secretly glad they aren't.

I know they performed at one of the bigger festivals this year, as I randomly flipped by and caught the end of their performance on one of the HD music channels a few month ago.

I wonder if they played near me this year and I missed them because they had not yet returned to my radar. :sad:

My secret desires of keeping people I like less known have only to do with me getting a good seat at the show. It's all about me.

I wonder if they played near me this year and I missed them because they had not yet returned to my radar. :sad:

My secret desires of keeping people I like less known have only to do with me getting a good seat at the show. It's all about me.

They played SLC, so it's possible.

Joyful = self-centered music fan?

I can certainly understand the desire to see a band in a smaller venue and actually be able to see, but it can also be a negative thing. Idlewild played here the winter after they had done shows opening for both REM and U2 in Europe, there were about 30 people in attendance. I was directly front and center by the stage, spoke with most of the band after the show, got autographs, etc. Unfortunately for me, they mentioned it as one of the lowlights of the tour and I'm assuming they'll never come back here again. :(

The Elbow show here had a decent amount of people at it, but it was sparse enough that my friend and I got seats that look over the crowds head and can see the stage perfectly. I couldn't have asked for better, and they seemed to have a good time as well. Utah is somehow becoming a decent place for music.

I had a similar experience with Damien Rice. I can't see Elbow coming to NM and even if I had seen them in Denver, I would have had the best seats. So I enjoy those times when they happen but like you, I don't expect to see those bands come back. A lot of people have trouble singing at a high altitude, too. So we're off the beaten path, they have to work harder to sing, and then hardly anyone ever sells out.

When I listen to them I feel like they should be huge but I'm secretly glad they aren't.

I totally agree. I have told a lot of people about them, but I kind of like them not being huge, especially the looks people give you when you tell them one of your favorite bands is called Elbow :lol:

At any rate I think they need a bigger tour in the US in support of Seldom Seen Kid, such as coming to Boston.

I'd probably come up with a really lame band name if I had to, but I really don't get why anyone would want to name their band "Elbow". I'm not surprised if the name does put off a lot of people who don't know their music.

I can't really imagine them getting huge to be honest; maybe because IMO there's something really unassuming about their music.

I've never thought about the name "Elbow" as being weird for a second. They all sound silly if you stop and think about it, so I don't. :D

It is an awful band name, as I rudely pointed out earlier in the thread...but that doesn't really matter does it? No it doesn't.

Anyway, I buckled under the pressure of my own desires and listened to Seldom Seen Kid just now. It really is a gorgeous album. I think I find the singer's voice to be the most appealing aspect of the band. I'm a sucker for the British accent and I like how this guy's accent is clearly audible when he sings. He's got impressive pipes.

It's a soothing album, cool stuff, I'm glad I listened to it. It was strange, though, because the opening track seriously put me off. As I was listening to that one I thought "uh oh I'm not going to like this" but things immediately started to change in the Elbow's favor and by the end of the album I was totally satisfied.

COT is excellent, but not many list it as their favorite. Also, I love "Starlings", its a great opener, but "Any Day Now" is their best first track for me.

Fugitive Motel is the best song off COT, I think.

Any Day Now is awesome, as is Powder Blue - definitely my two favorites off of Asleep In the Back.

Back
Top Bottom