Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing really stood out on first listen, and at least on first (or second, for a few tracks) listen, they don't really go anywhere. Where's that big build I love from Elbow?

Obviously need to spend more time with it. Nothing struck me as "bad" per se, but ... hmmm.

Nothing really stood out on first listen, and at least on first (or second, for a few tracks) listen, they don't really go anywhere. Where's that big build I love from Elbow?

Obviously need to spend more time with it. Nothing struck me as "bad" per se, but ... hmmm.

This is how I feel as well, at the moment I'd rate this as one of my least favourite albums. Nothing is bad but nothing is above average either.

Shit, I liked the album a lot. Very pretty. The last two songs kind of go nowhere for me and take too long doing it, but the other eight cast quite a spell. Nice album.

Last edited:
My first listen was very underwhelming. The album doesn't have stand-outs like previous albums. But I had the same experience as cori: it was much better on second listen. It's definitely a grower. The percussion is mesmerizing. It's a pretty unique combination with the typical Elbow prettiness.

I think this is on par with the last album. Some absolutely outstanding tracks blended with some business as usual Elbow.

K2 is just fantastic.

I *finally* listened to the new album. I like it *SOOOOO* MUCH BETTER than their last album (which I found quite boring, for the most part). There were a couple meh tracks on the new album, but only one or two. Everything else was good!

So happy with this album and can't wait to give it some more listens. Definite thumbs up from me.

Oh yeah! I'm definitely LOVING this album! So much more than the last one, and I think I love it even more than the one before that.

I can't stop listening to 'Gentle Storm'. :drool: :drool: :drool: :love:

The only one I'm not too crazy about is 'Montparnasse' . . . and even that one I don't think is necessarily a bad song -- just a bit unmemorable.

I like a fair amount of material on this album, but I do think it's one of their weaker efforts. A lot of it is just unmemorable to me. That being said, "Magnificent," "Gentle Storm" and the title track are some of the best songs Elbow's ever written.

I did a full review if anyone's interested in more detailed thoughts:

Elbow: Little Fictions - Music Review - No Ripcord

I wish the Chicago show was on a weekend instead of a Wednesday. I'd have to go alone, and it's a 14 hour round trip drive, but I am quite tempted. I've never seen Elbow live, and I'd like to rectify that.

I bought two tickets -- for The Observatory and The Wiltern shows.

And the ticket for The Wiltern is a pit ticket, so . . . that will be very cool: don't have line up for hours and hours before the show, and can just walk right in and be super close!

Have I mentioned, yet, how much I love this new album?

You are dead to me, and that makes me sad. :cry:

The Birds is GLORIOUS. Easily my favorite Elbow song.

Lippy Kids is lovely. Neat Little Rows is great and I so wish they would resurrect it live.

Open Arms feels like an attempt to recapture the lightning in a bottle of One Day Like This, but it's still good.

Count me in as one that loves The Birds. I still need to listen to the new album

At the risk of getting teased on facebook...

Easily my favorite Elbow song.

I can easily think of a dozen (or two) Elbow songs I prefer over The Birds. I don't dislike it by any means, but it doesn't strike me as anywhere near the top of their output.

tl;dr:
Your musical preferences don't line up exactly with mine. THEREFORE YOURS ARE TERRIBLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom