Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eryery_zps457e5896.gif

God bless you for bringing this into my life.

And yeah, cobbler... wtf, man.

It's totally embarrassing, but I ended up not going. Rough day at work combined with high fatigue. I'm officially an old man.

the first couple of times you did it, whatever but you keep doing it. It makes you look like some sort of passive-aggressive troll, which I hope is not your intent.

If I kept repeatedly coming in to one of your threads to shit all over Outkast time after time don't you think it would lose it's "idiotic charm" after a while?

Guy Garvey is a national fucking treasure and everyone wants to have a pint with him.

Or so I hear. I don't live in England.

My favorite part of the whole album is this simple line in Charge:

And glory be these fuckers are ignoring me

I love anything he says with the word fuck in it actually.

the first couple of times you did it, whatever but you keep doing it. It makes you look like some sort of passive-aggressive troll, which I hope is not your intent.

If I kept repeatedly coming in to one of your threads to shit all over Outkast time after time don't you think it would lose it's "idiotic charm" after a while?

It's not my intent, no. I didn't think I was coming across that way so often, and it would lose its charm, so I will apologise and stop and this thread can go back to its natural course.

OMG!!! Elbow are coming to my city for an open air show in August. I just found the date by randomly checking their live schedule for this summer, I didn't really think they would actually play here. :yippie:

Well, that was a blissed-out amazing fucking weekend. Ended up first in line for both shows - apparently, Vancouver does not line up. I was the only one in line for hours ... people started showing up after 6. :lol:

But it was worth it, because guess who walked by?

Elbow2_zps5111b069.jpg

Portland, I went a bit later (5:30), and was only alone for a half hour, when a hardcore Elbow gal showed up, and we bonded. The line grew pretty quickly. Then, a first for me, I hung around for two frickin' hours after the show. It was totally worth it, because this happened:

Elbow1_zps028ff386.jpg

There were 5 of us hanging around, and the whole band came out and chatted with us, pictures and hugs and just fun chatting. I had a nice conversation with Richard (the drummer) and their tour manager. Guy remembered me and that I had been driving to both shows from Seattle. I just about fell over. We also sang a little bit of The Way We Were together ... randomly. (And poorly. :lol: )

Both shows were sold out. The Vancouver venue had a barrier, but it was amazing being so close. But then the Portland venue was even smaller, and there was no barrier, so the 9 of us in the front row were practically on the stage. I had to restrain myself from reaching out to touch Guy's shoe.

Both shows were amazing, but the nod goes to the Portland show - the crowd was much better during the hushed songs (Guy had to shush Vancouver a bit more), and he was chattier.

Met tons of big Elbow fans. Was really cool to meet people who "got it" outside of the U2 world - that was a first for me. Lots of people who had traveled to see them, and my new friends were so excited for me to lose my Elbow virginity in Vancouver. :lol:

Hearing The Birds just about brought me to tears. Setlists were exactly the same both nights, but I didn't give a shit. The only remotely negatively thing I could say is that I wish they'd been longer.

Just amazing.

PS: Guy Garvey gives wonderful big bear hugs, just as you'd expect. :heart:

Also, I suspect there is truth to that whole "the camera adds 10 pounds," because he looks a lot slimmer in person than he did even on Fallon just last week.

Lovely man.

I've always thought that he looks more cuddly than he actually would be.

That'd would've been an amazing experience, Cori. Envious!

I do wish they could tweak their set lists a little bit more though. They have a stellar catalogue of potential pleasers.

Very cool, Cori :up: That will be a weekend to remember.

Did you happen to get 'Newborn' at either show?

That's awesome, Cori. And I had no idea what Guy looked like. He looks super sweet and, yes, like someone who would give awesome hugs.

I'm still on a post-concert(s) high. I can't believe all the stars aligned to give me such great experiences for both shows.

I have to write my review today. There will be much gushing.

Did you happen to get 'Newborn' at either show?

No, despite someone at both shows hollering for it. Ha ha. Guy said something to the effect of "We have our setlist all figured out by this point, thanks. Besides, we'd have to rearrange all our drinking plans if we changed something."

The only songs prior to Seldom Seen Kid were Great Expectations (which was gorgeous) and Scattered Black and Whites (which was even more so).

He said Great Expectations was his favorite song he'd written.

The only songs prior to Seldom Seen Kid were Great Expectations (which was gorgeous) and Scattered Black and Whites (which was even more so).

He said Great Expectations was his favorite song he'd written.

Glad to see he's got good taste in his own music. :up:

Also, so glad you got the experience you did. :)

This was nice to listen to. Good interview, good live songs.

Elbow On World Cafe : World Cafe : NPR

Interesting - Guy said there was one song on Build a Rocket Boys that was them trying to create another big hit like One Day turned out to be, but they thought it felt too forced and inorganic, and so they no longer play it.

I'm guessing it's Open Arms, which I love, but yeah, I could see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom