Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok... so I really like Elbow now :grumpy:

I downloaded all their albums and I would rate them like so:

1 - Leaders Of The Free World
2 - Cast Of Thousands
3 - Asleep In The Back
4 - The Seldom Seen Kid

This is not saying TSSK is bad but their other albums are much better imo...

I've had Elbow on repeat for the past two days...

thanks again :angry:

I would put them like this:

1. Leaders
2. Asleep
3. Seldom
4. Cast

Seriously though, you should buy 'em all, Elevated. Downloading is for squares.

I'm hopefully seeing them live tomorrow :pray:

I wanted to mention that 'Any Day Now' has to be one of my favorite songs of theirs. That is all.

I did end up going to see them last night, and it was FANTASTIC. Somehow, they surpassed my expectations on what they'd be like live. Guy's voice is as impressive (if not more) in a live setting. I also never had any idea that he played guitar, my jaw nearly hit the floor when he started rocking the solo to Leaders of the Free World. I took a friend who'd never even heard of Elbow, and he ended up buying an album after the show. They were that good.

Here's what they played from the albums (as I can't put them in order):

Starlings
The Bones of You
Mirrorball
Grounds For Divorce
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
One Day Like This

Station Approach
Leaders of the Free World
The Stops
Great Expectations

Grace Under Pressure

Red
New Born
Scattered Black and Whites

I feel like I'm leaving something out, but I think those are right. I was sad to not get 'Forget Myself', but the rest was so good, that I can't complain. If they're coming through your town, don't hesitate, just go. :up:

Last edited:
I made mention of this in another thread, but, I saw them on Tuesday night at a great little venue here in Chicago.

I'd been a fan since the release of their 1st album, after hearing "Newborn" on MTV 2 of all places.

Anyway, the show was great, I agree with the above review. As was said above, Guy's voice was just fantastic in person. I could have sat there and listened to them play for another two hours.

Ok, I may have left out 'Ribcage'. I honestly am not sure if they played that or not now though.

You get any different songs from what I listed? There were all sorts of people yelling out song requests, and they didn't play any of them, so I'm wondering if they stick to a pretty tight list.

It's funny how the show just sort of, for me, just melded into this two hour thing....so I'm forgetting everything that was played...we definitely heard the six songs from Seldom Seen Kid....The Stops was played, Switching Off was played, Newborn.....Grace Under Pressure....they closed with Scattered....Station Approach was played.....I doubt it was 100% the same, though, cos it was the guitarists birthday so he chose their setlist...if he chose it, that means it must differ a bit....

u2popmofo said:
You get any different songs from what I listed? There were all sorts of people yelling out song requests, and they didn't play any of them, so I'm wondering if they stick to a pretty tight list.

I don't remember the whole setlist from the show I went to, but it looks pretty similar to the one you had. We also had people yelling out requests. One was a girl from Ireland who said she knew Guy's sister, so he actually teased her a bit from the stage, saying "You have no idea what goes into coming up with a setlist," but dedicated a song to her later in the show.

Switching Off is one of my favs as well, I am also currently in love with The Stops and The Everthere :up:

u2popmofo said:
Seriously though, you should buy 'em all, Elevated. Downloading is for squares.

word.

I like to buy my CD's used though and I've only been able to pick up COT so far used... I may be forced to purchase them at full price at this rate :tsk:

Elbow are great.. Easily my favourite band from 2000- .. (next to Wilco and radiohead).
Saw them a couple of times and mostly we take some kind of board with us to the shows to greet them (they record their albums in a Manchester Studio, co owned by a good friend of mine) . And at the Werchter festival they dedicated a song (fugitive motel) to me and my friends. Now that was cool!!
Went to see them in Brixton acadamy a couple weeks ago and it was no less then spectaular. We had free tickets and were invited to the aftershow, but that was nothing special (over 100 paople there) and we were just to tired to keep hanging around to see when they would show up. But they are coming to Brussels in june and my friend promised me we could meet them after that show. keeping my fingers crossed..

elevated_u2_fan said:
I'm starting to change my opinion on The Seldom Seen Kid...

Some Riot is a revelation... I think the term "haunting" sums it up very well.

Cliched, but.....Seldom Seen Kid is an album that settles in after a few listens.

Buy all their albums, Elfa.

So I'll continue here instead...

there was some discusion in this thread:

http://forum.interference.com/f221/elbow-185331.html

I really enjoy it (can you tell by my location? :wink: ), I think Leaders is my favourite but not by much anymore thanks to Kid...

My favourite tracks are:

The Bones Of You
Mirrorball
The Loneliness Of A Tower Crane Driver :drool:
Some Riot
Friend Of Ours

I'd say Leaders is still my favorite as well, but this one is damn close.

And Some Riot is also awesome. :up:

I'm hella-pissed I missed them when they were on tour, now I have to wait for their next album :waiting:

Dang, I was hoping you'd gone. I know how that goes though, I've been a fan since the first album and I just barely got to see them this year for the first time. They were worth the wait though. :up:

uh... they're kind of hard to describe, they have a fairly textured sound, and the lead singer has a Peter Gabriel vibe going with a warm/deeper voice...

They remind me of Doves but not entirely...

:lol: does someone else want to have a go?

Beautiful music is probably their best quality. They have a relatively unique sound wherein they have actually been quite diverse in the musical styles of their albums (prog, britpop, symphonic/orchestrated type tracks, indie, etc), but all if it seems to be easily identifiable as Elbow (a great deal of this is because of Guy's amazing voice).

Generally speaking, their appeal is that they make good music. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom