Desert Island X: Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have fun! On first glance I'm probably digging the looks of the lists by Ashley, LMP, PFan, and Phanan the most.

And now back to mixing my band's record. Mixing is grueling guys.

LemonMelon

dZ6pxY1.jpg

"Tinseltown in the Rain"

Inspired by icy winters and warming alcohol, this playlist hits on that awesome, classically-80s contrast between frigidity and romance. The title was taken from the list's featured Blue Nile track, which perfectly encapsulates everything I wanted to accomplish with this list.

Wow, this is beyond random. Did you post something about this band recently? Because I just downloaded their discography a few weeks ago on a whim, and have been listening to the first two albums frequently. I had never even heard of them before.

Craig Armstrong (who did strings for U2 on some project i can't remember) released together an album of covers/collabs The Space Between Us and produced a beautiful rendition of The Blue Nile's "Let's Go Out Tonight", with that band's singer Paul Buchanan doing a new vocal take. I discovered this track because it's the last song in the film Laurence Anyways which I've been very enthusiastic about here, and it almost made my own list. I got to wondering about where Buchanan came from and it led me to The Blue Nile.

I fell in love with their music a couple years ago, right around the same time I discovered Prefab Sprout. I wish they had more albums but the first two have had so much replay value for me that it doesn't really matter.

The Downtown Lights was also on the longlist for Ashley's entry.

oh. i wasn't sure, because it took about 2 hours to get everything labeled properly, and then i moved a folder and itunes reverted them back to their track numbering based on the albums they came from and i had to do disc 1 all over again (which is why it has lazy album titles). figured either they got screwed up again at some point that i missed, or he didn't like my album artwork/lack of pretentious paragraph, or i didn't use enough quotations or some nonsense. i'm pretty sure i didn't even put anything for the album titles on half of them on other DI lists. :shrug:

I listened to Joey's list first because his lists have ranked in my last couple places every other DI we've ever both played in, and I just wanted to get it over with (probably how he feels about my lists, tbh). On paper, it looks kind of like a pet list full of this place's shitty pitchfork-endorsed favorites, which I assumed I'd hate because I heard a st Vincent song once that I thought sucked, or I fucking hated Fiona Apple back when I was in high school, or because bjork, etc. Basically, at a glance the final 1/3 of it has some stuff on paper that I might not hate, but it's the getting there that's going to be the difficult part. I also wanted to see what groove shark was actually about, so I did the stream option. Liked that quite a bit.

Nah, I actually liked most of it. It starts really strong and makes me think I shouldn't have written off Savages or The Horrors based on whatever silly reasons. Savages' song was particularly cool, like the missing link between the Dead Kennedys and the Violent Femmes or something. I was really digging the darkness up until that Liars track. The final 1/3 was good as I expected it to be--the transition between exit and the downward spiral was about as perfect a transition as you can possibly have. The transitions overall were solid, but that one was absolutely genius. I did absolutely despise mostly everything from Liars til St Vincent, predictably so. Liars would have been good if I could get the image of a douchebag with glow sticks out of my head, but alas, I could not. And the Prodigy...making me think all we needed to go totally off the deep end was that shitty Lo Fidelity Allstars band from however long ago. But once I got to the Smashing Pumpkins, all was good, and stayed good from there on out.

so do i re-sendspace the whole thing for an entirely new link including the 20th track, or you just want the link for that one song seperate.

nevermind, i'll just send LM a pm.

The 22nd track is there, though it's not labeled as 22nd, I believe it's labeled as 2. But no need to re-upload that. Just the 20th.

The 22nd track is there, though it's not labeled as 22nd, I believe it's labeled as 2. But no need to re-upload that. Just the 20th.

What happened was I swapped out a couple songs at the last minute before I uploaded it, and I think I just copied the whole folder and tried to fix the two songs I switched, and then uploaded the wrong one.

The question is, do you have the Templars, superyob, pressure point, and terminus city? Superyob was thrown out, the Templars and terminus city added, and if I typed out pressure point in the list then it's supposed to be there (if not, I trashed it and it snuck back in on its own).

I can't look at the first page of this thread because it crashes my phone.

can we also get a clear explanation of the ranking/voting rules? the set number of points allocated to playlists in a group is fine, until you're allocating points for the group your playlist is in. now presumably no one's ranking their own list/assigning it points/voting on it because who isn't picking theirs 1st/giving it the most points, trying to strategically vote other people ahead of them off the island? so if i have 30 pts per group, presumably the 3 in my group get more points between the three of them than a group of four would because i'm not counting my own list. or i just steal all the points because i like the music on my list better than what you people like.

I think it was the song titles, which weren't in quotes, actually.

well, i was going to, but i figured the seperations made it obvious, and if i was going to get all proper i would have to type out the italics tag for every single album title either. i wasn't about to do that.

can we also get a clear explanation of the ranking/voting rules? the set number of points allocated to playlists in a group is fine, until you're allocating points for the group your playlist is in. now presumably no one's ranking their own list/assigning it points/voting on it because who isn't picking theirs 1st/giving it the most points, trying to strategically vote other people ahead of them off the island? so if i have 30 pts per group, presumably the 3 in my group get more points between the three of them than a group of four would because i'm not counting my own list. or i just steal all the points because i like the music on my list better than what you people like.

This. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

also, i'll try the download again, but 75% of laz's list won't copy out of the folder. unspecified error 00543020202012994393 or something.

I had to use a special archive tool, the Unarchiver, on OS X to get Laz's list to work.

i'm on a pc though. is that even a real thing, or is the unarchiver a joke i just don't get not owning a mac computer.

yeah, cos download #2 didn't work either. i'll wait til someone on a PC tells me how they got it out of the zip folder.

these look great guys, i'm excited to discover so much new music! :heart: upon first glance nielsgov's list looks right up my alley, and Joey's looks like it'll be a standout - any list with Climbing Up The Walls and Exit is :drool: nice to see I'm not the only one who used DJ Shadow too.

so I guess I'll try the Unarchiver to unzip Laz's cuz it's just giving me a .cpgz file. and i need track #20 for IWB so I'm listening to Padj's first. Will post comments when I'm done :)

Yeah, I cannot download Laz's tracks (or any of his included files) either with WinRAR, which is my only application for unzipping files.

there are too many good bands on padj's list for me to not enjoy this.

Yeah, I don't think we discussed this eventuality specifically. Personally, I don't have a problem with people giving their own list 10 points. Back when we used to have polls, people were allowed to vote for their own list. Give the most points to the list you prefer and be honest about it.

so yeah. i didn't like padj's list very much last time. this time, this list could take the competition for me. either i was just blinded by the magnetic fields, and that made me like it (because under what other circumstances could i justify saying something positive about a list also containing the b-52s, julliana hatfield, and liz phair?), or it's just what i happened to be in the mood to listen to today (belle & sebastian, husker du, tom waits, and all the stuff not in english was made of win).

:up:

Back
Top Bottom