Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
It was hard to remember specific songs and it got a bit exhausting by the end of the disc. But I guess that's sort of the point, which is fine.
More evidence that I missed the boat, since no, that's really not the point at all. They apparently bleed together into one same sounding sonic blob to everyone who isn't me.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #92
45:33

Local Time: 11:25 PM
IWB, my friend, we will just never see eye-to-eye on music. Your first disc was pleasant enough - and I will definitely add my voice to the praise for that Morphine song, that was awesome - but it's still not music I'm ever really in the mood for listening to. That's just a personal preference. Soul music has been a blind spot of mine for a long time, which is not good considering how much I love hip-hop but many of the songs you had didn't really do it for me. Some I'd obviously heard before, like Four Tops, Sweet Soul Music, Do the Twist, Twist and Shout, and they're great pop songs, but it's music I don't generally seek out.

I won't sugar coat it, I hated the second disc. I've got some mates who would enjoy it, but I did not enjoy it at all. To me it all sounded like it could be from the same compilation, it definitely ran together. But there was one positive to come out of it - until I looked up The Oppressed on wikipedia I had no idea that skinheads could be anti-fascist. I thought they were all neo-nazis/fascists. So that was something I learnt

Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread

that makes me a lot less cranky. For some reason I'm totally cool with the assessment "I hated this," or "less said about disc 2, the better" from nielsgov.

It's the way gump called it reactionary, scared off by album titles, that irks me into giant walls of text (poorly written on my phone, at that).

That last part about googling the oppressed makes me happier than I think it would have if you'd actually liked any of it. let's be honest, the playlists I make for DIs are for me, getting to inflict my music taste on people I know are going to not dig the bulk of it. Sort of goes back to that whole goofy walk if text and what I was getting at.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #94

Seems skinhead originally started as just a subculture, like mods, rockers, etc. I wonder when that changed. I blame Russell Crowe

Old 11-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #95
The Male

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Gump should take the skinheads bowling.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
It's the way gump called it reactionary, scared off by album titles, that irks me into giant walls of text (poorly written on my phone, at that).

That last part about googling the oppressed makes me happier than I think it would have if you'd actually liked any of it. let's be honest, the playlists I make for DIs are for me, getting to inflict my music taste on people I know are going to not dig the bulk of it. Sort of goes back to that whole goofy walk if text and what I was getting at.
Oh, I'm really sorry it came off the wrong way. I was being sarcastic with the reactionary stuff. I just found the song titles pretty funny in a weird way.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh god I forgot that movie existed.

Like I tried to convey earlier, I titled the list "roots & boots." Roots, being both the beginnings of my own interest in music, as well as the place that the "boots" (which is more accurate than calling it "roots & mohawks," given the general kind of punk rock represented, which is mainly doc marten wearing skinhead music, except for like maybe the SLF song) half comes from. But unless you knew that going in, or do some googling as cobbler did, it was silly of me to think anyone would make that connection. A first half ska playlist would have been more accurate, lyrically if not sonically, making that gap better bridged.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #98

It's a really fucking shit movie too.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm guessing, because I still haven't heard it, that IWB's list "runs together" because of unfamiliarity with the genres. .

Gonna listen to this now.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #100
The Male

I'm pretty nervous that people unfamiliar with certain sections of my list will tune out and think it's all just 80s sounding stuff.

But then there are LOTS OF HITS too, so maybe it won't be so inaccessible.

Now.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

About halfway through the first disc, IWB, and I'm really enjoying this. I picked this point at which to comment, because, from here, I know (and love) most of the remaining tracks. Standouts from the section up to Otis Redding track were the aforementioned, and "None of Us Are Free".
Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #102
Refugee

On Padj's list:

I really enjoyed this list. It started really strongly with a bunch of bands I'm unfamiliar with but now need to check out. The transition from Wire into Caribou was unexpected and flawless.

In fact, this whole DI list did a fantastic job from moving seamlessly between genres. Going from Liz Phair and Juliana Hatfield to dream-pop to the rhythmic vibe of the later numbers, wrapping up with classic prog bands was a journey full of unexpected twists that was never jarring. I'd say the only weak point was Roxy Music into Cate Le Bon, mainly due to how abruptly the former ends. Otherwise, awesome set.

Now, on to Laz.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Oh, I'm really sorry it came off the wrong way. I was being sarcastic with the reactionary stuff. I just found the song titles pretty funny in a weird way.
Everyone keeps saying that about the song titles. I guess I just don't see it.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #104
The Male

Axver has that same reaction every time I make fun of deathgrowls. He just doesn't get why anyone would find them humorous.

IWB's list kicks ass so far. I'm three tracks into disc 2.

Now.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
More evidence that I missed the boat, since no, that's really not the point at all. They apparently bleed together into one same sounding sonic blob to everyone who isn't me.
I suppose I misinterpreted your comment about wanting to remind us that you like punk music with the second half of the list.