Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:34 PM
More Random thoughts:
- Opener was really great, but the end of the track was random as hell. Loved it.
- While the opening section were all songs I enjoyed, it wasn't quite doing it for me, for some reason, because I know good and well that on any other day I would've been all over it.
- Stricken City is that band you turned me onto a couple years back, right?
- I clearly need to hear more Eno/Cale.
- Kind of a longer stretch that I didn't enjoy too much from Amy Winehouse until Twilight Singers, just not my cup of tea, I guess. I did really like the Nina Simone track, though.
- Twilight Singers are another band I'll be checking out after this is all done.
- The closer and the song by Sarah Shannon remind me a bit of some of my favorite songs that played on the Quiznos radio, so that made me wonderfully nostalgic.

Overall Disc 2: Really enjoyed certain parts, and while it was totally solid throughout, it didn't quite do it for me the way the first disc did.

Overall for the whole list I loved it, had a great time listening to it throughout my day today. Got a lot of bands to check out later.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

So I just looked Warwick up....is that like, the only song they ever recorded?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 08:34 AM
Joey788.

- Chelsea Wolfe is still kinda horrid. All style and pretension, bad songwriting.

- As someone not super familiar with Bowie, Scary Monsters was pretty freakin' great.

- Savages have a very particular sense of urgency around them. Neat!

- Liars - weirdly dancy? Nowhere near as interesting as their other work, even if it is more listenable than Drum's Not Dead, say.

- Prodigy - groovy. Dude's accent is weird. Sonically really interesting. Is this what most DnB is like?

- So Bjork. This is my first exposure to her. Aside from the Icelandic inflection, this was just another downbeat electronic song. Not great, not bad.

- The Beck song is in a grungey sort of way, really pretty. Especially how it lurches back halfway. Pretty cool.

- HOLY FUCK RADIOHEAD ARE BORING

- EMA is okay. At least there's some rumblings of passion in there.

- Blur - putting an acoustic song behind blankets of fuzz and weird sound effects is a neat little production touch. Unfortunately, the song itself plods aimlessly.

- Bat For Lashes - the strings and drum parts are really super neat. The bulk of the song is piano and voice - its okay but almost deathly quiet.

- The Fiona Apple song is really strangely creepy. Good! Very Joanna Newsom like.

- The segue from The Decemberists to Astronautilis is AWESOME.

- On the other hand, fuuuuuuuuck the Arcade Fire.

- The Nine Inch Nails song was really not what I was expecting - a quite acoustic interlude. Neat song.

I suppose not really my thing.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #139
Blue Crack Distributor

Great, now I'm just listening to the whole comp that Warwick song is from, and I love every song on it. And it seems like none of these people have any other music .

EDIT: OK, clearly exaggerating. I managed to find a few albums to listen to.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Just finished up Laz's part 2. The opener is a great opener but honestly, it falls short for me after that until you reach the Au Pairs song. M83 and Los Campesinos personally aren't my cup of tea, sorry. I love New Order but Weirdo didn't do it for me either. But then the Au Pairs until the end is a great long stretch. The Brian Eno and the Stricken City add a wonderful different dimension to the playlist. Then I enjoy how it starts to get kind of jazzy with Amy Winehouse and Nina Simone. How, I wish more playlist had Nina Simone on them! Great closers too.

You will rank high in rating from me, Laz. Good job.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #141
45:33

Local Time: 09:34 AM
When's the next thread go up??
Old 11-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #142
The Male

Friday afternoon PST.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
So I just looked Warwick up....is that like, the only song they ever recorded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Great, now I'm just listening to the whole comp that Warwick song is from, and I love every song on it. And it seems like none of these people have any other music .

EDIT: OK, clearly exaggerating. I managed to find a few albums to listen to.

More posts above I'd like to comment on but briefly: a friend of mine played Let's Get The Party Going while DJing at a bar, and I asked him who it was. I had the same problem you did, barely able to find any info or more material.

But that compilation is fucking great. I guess we'll be battling over which tracks to put on future DI lists now...
Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #144
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't get to finish it before I left work for the day, but I heard the majority and it was killer. They've got a copy on Amazon that won't cost me too much, I'll be picking it up, because there doesn't appear to be any convenient way to hear it online otherwise.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #145
The Male

Listened to Joey's list. Thoughts:

-So I have heard every one of these songs at some point. That's not necessarily a bad thing and certainly not your fault, but yeah, not my ideal.

-Not wild about Chelsea Wolfe as an opener, it didn't really bring me into the list the way I wanted it to.

-Scary Monsters is so good.

-Everything flowed very well until Minus, which was a pretty unnecessary addition. Good song, but it may have fit better earlier in the list.

-Two Steven Wilson-sung tracks on the list. Of the two, I prefer Strip the Soul but Index works well thematically with Climbing Up The Walls.

-Blur into Bat For Lashes...not feeling that transition. I had to check the track listing to make sure I didn't mess up the order. Siren Song is amazing though, so I got over it.

-Everything on The Idler Wheel is A+ quality.

-Really good transitions from PJ Harvey through Astronautalis.

-If I never hear Intervention again, it will be too soon. The Marley & Me of indie rock.

-Fantastic transitions from Exit to Strip the Soul. Really top notch, as many have already mentioned. Downward Spiral is a NIN song I don't hate!

Overall, pretty good. Not a lot of surprises for me here, but a lot to like. There were some rough transitions, but tonally it was very consistent and well thought out.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread

IWB:

Great first disc. I knew the majority of songs already, but there were some curveballs thrown in. Hell if I knew another song by Dobie Gray other than Drift Away, for example, and I didn't know that particular Otis Redding song. Just read the back story on it - great stuff.

Morphine seems like a band I should explore further. My only exposure to them was hearing Early To Bed constantly on The River back in the day.

As for Disc 2, I like a lot of these songs, but I do agree with others that it is a bit overkill after a while. I know you like other genres, albeit to a lesser degree, and I think it would have worked better to include some of those in your "Boots" section. It would have given us a broader overview of the type of music you enjoy today (of course, my playlist is all synthpop, which will probably be overkill for people as well).

I want to give a shout out to Cock Sparrer though. Great song, and great album. I have leftover odds and ends of punk and power pop that I want to use if there is ever another Retro Island contest, and I'd include Cock Sparrer on it. Talk about missing the popularity boat though. Not sure why they didn't take off back in 1977-1978, but by the time Shock Troops came out in 1982 or whatever, it was just too late.

So a solid showing for you overall this time.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor

Alright, Padj is up next. Another list with an excellent opener...yessss.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
IWB:

Great first disc. I knew the majority of songs already, but there were some curveballs thrown in. Hell if I knew another song by Dobie Gray other than Drift Away, for example, and I didn't know that particular Otis Redding song. Just read the back story on it - great stuff.

Morphine seems like a band I should explore further. My only exposure to them was hearing Early To Bed constantly on The River back in the day.

As for Disc 2, I like a lot of these songs, but I do agree with others that it is a bit overkill after a while. I know you like other genres, albeit to a lesser degree, and I think it would have worked better to include some of those in your "Boots" section. It would have given us a broader overview of the type of music you enjoy today (of course, my playlist is all synthpop, which will probably be overkill for people as well).

I want to give a shout out to Cock Sparrer though. Great song, and great album. I have leftover odds and ends of punk and power pop that I want to use if there is ever another Retro Island contest, and I'd include Cock Sparrer on it. Talk about missing the popularity boat though. Not sure why they didn't take off back in 1977-1978, but by the time Shock Troops came out in 1982 or whatever, it was just too late.

So a solid showing for you overall this time.
thanks. man, it's really a good thing i went with this than the 4 hour list i was trying to whittle down at one point, if the general consensus on disc 2 is too much of the same (i'd argue a good rather than same, but whatever) thing.

nice shout out on shock troops, that album is awesome and hardly ever gets the respect it deserves.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #149
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm almost positive that my playlist is going to have the same problem, fwiw, IWB.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #150
Blue Crack Distributor

More:
- That was a Wire track I really enjoyed.
- Maybe I should give Caribou another shot.
- This flows really well, I appreciate that.
- I don't know why I don't like Sparks, but I hate Sparks.
- I think Cate le Bon was one of those acts I was really into for like a second and then completely forgot about. To be honest, I can kinda see why that was.
- Husker Du are really awesome. I need to man up and hear more than just New Day Rising cause it's the "accessible" one.

EDIT: I accidentally hit submit on this post. I'm not done, but for the sake of the matter, I'll go ahead and put the rest of my thoughts into another post.