Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Two - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Started joey's list tonight. Listened to the first portion titled Kids, and while there were a couple of songs that I didn't care for (yeah, still don't like Peter Bjorn & John or Wilco), I must say that whole section was very well done. Probably the only song that I didn't think fit was, funnily enough, Ready To Start - even though it's obviously a fantastic song. It just didn't seem to go with the rest. But I loved how everything else sounded as a complete set.

And is it just me, or does the opening drums of Boyfriend sound like Badlands?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post

And is it just me, or does the opening drums of Boyfriend sound like Badlands?
i'm going to have to go check now, but there's a fair chance my subconscious kicked in with that and that's why i liked it.

edit: oh ya, it does.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 10:30 PM
thanks so much guys sorry i have been away for 2 weeks camping with no internet which was bad timing for this.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #34
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
I had more free time this weekend than I thought! With that comes the second half of Ultraviolet92's playlist.

- To me, MGMT has always been a three-hit wonder, with their second album being an epic disaster. But “Weekend Wars” was surprisingly catchy and awesome. I made need to dig into their debut more.
- On the other hand, I never liked the Cold War Kids and sadly this song didn’t change my mind.
- The straight-up rock segment from “PDA” to “The Modern Age” worked really well. I like how Interpol and The Strokes had that sort of classic feel that fit alongside Zeppelin and Hendrix. Plus, the four songs choices from those groups were just wonderful. Only snag was the transition from Hendrix to Strokes, which felt a little awkward.
- The Nick Cave song didn’t do much for me but you could not have picked a better way to move into “Bad.” Absolutely perfect.
- “On Melancholy Hill” worked far better than I thought it would as a follow-up to “Bad.” One of the best Gorillaz tracks out there.
- Sorry, but I absolutely can’t stand Vampire Weekend. Listened to their album and saw them at a festival. Didn’t like them in either scenario.
- On the other hand, I really need to get into The Cure because I really like everything I hear by them (especially since they’re in like 90% of the playlists here lol).
- Thought the segment from The Cure through Bowie was done pretty well.
- Couldn’t really get into the last two songs either. I’m pretty indifferent to Sigur Ros but I definitely can’t stand Bob Dylan’s voice.

I'd say both halves were very strong for the most part with a couple segments that didn't work for me. I'm a fan of many of the bands you get big thumbs up for that. There were quite a few beautiful transitions too. All in all, I really dug this list. Awesome work!
thanks joey liked your feedback and fair enough for not standing bob dylan's voice or vampire weekend (a lot of my mates hate both)
next time need to listen to my transitions more i think
Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #35
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
finished uv92's list (where he at?). enjoyed it!

- opening 2/ worked really well, yes. Everlasting Light is my favourite Black Keys song.
- i liked the Arcade Fire song! so a good achievement for you there, i'm reasonably indifferent to Arcade Fire.
- blink182's self-titled was a really good album i thought. it will be interesting to see what Ashley thinks of that track, i'm not a big fan of it.
- i also liked the Muse song. that's probably the best Muse song i've heard. in fact Muse through YYYs was a brilliant stretch of songs, major props for using How To Make Gravy, my favourite Paul Kelly song (i used it in my last DI). it's a really touching song.
- i'd never heard Gagging Order; it was quite pretty! certainly an atypical Radiohead song, there's not many acoustic RH songs. it also worked really well into Weekend Wars, though i see that wasn't the intention.
- Weekend Wars would be the best song by fucking miles on Congratulations. that's about the only good thing i've got to say about it.
- i enjoyed part two much more than part one. i really liked pretty much every song on part two, and as someone said, Into My Arms into Bad was inspired. how good was it when they played Bad at the first Melbourne gig man??!
- of the songs i'd not heard, Cold War Kids, The Strokes and Modest Mouse stood out.

there were certainly some rough transitions, but if i was stuck on a desert island i'd prefer good songs over good flow. nice job!
thanks man haha yeah i lost my shit when bad synth came on
Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #36
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Just getting the chance to post about the second part of uv's playlist.

I'd have to say that I liked Disc 1 more than Disc 2. While the latter certainly had some great stuff included, it didn't seem to mesh together as well, at least to my ears. It was kind of all over the place. However, I thought it started out great with the first three tracks...

Overall though, this was a pretty good listen, and definitely a most respectable showing for your first time.
thankyou phanan!
once i get my proper internet back (on a friends wireless)
i will start to listen to the playlists
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:30 AM
IWB - On paper, I loved your list. About 20% of the way through listening, and I fucking love this! Will issue a full review when it's finished.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #38
45:33

Phanan it appears quite a few people are a bit behind in their listening, myself included, I assume the next batch is due out in a day or two? Perhaps we could set it back a few days?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I was gonna wait until later in the week now. There's no rush anyway.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
IWB - On paper, I loved your list. About 20% of the way through listening, and I fucking love this! Will issue a full review when it's finished.

awesome, i can't wait to hear the full review. i'm really psyched your digging it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Phanan it appears quite a few people are a bit behind in their listening, myself included, I assume the next batch is due out in a day or two? Perhaps we could set it back a few days?
yeah, i still got uv and phanan's lists. i need to re-download phanan's or something, because for some reason i only ended up with half of it, or lost tracks somewhere...i don't know what happened, but i need to fix it, load it into the ipod (as well as i need to load uv's in there too).

it's taking nearly an hour to re-download.
sendspace
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Just an FYI on Joey's list - it appears that Stupid Girl is a protected file.

I already have it, so I'm good, but we may need a new link for that one song for those who don't have it already.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #43
Refugee

Wow, really? I'm very sorry about that guys. Let me find another file that I can send to phanan of just that song.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Joey788
Highlight: Just The Same But Brand New and All I Want Is You were not just the best pair of songs in the competition so far but it was among the most beautiful 12 minutes of music in the game as well. I never thought of the combination but it is brilliant.

Favorite Aspect: This playlist is loaded with artists that I love. The songs you picked by those artists are some of my favorites. Twilight Galaxy, Siren Song, The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning, Cosmic Love, Just The Same But Brand New and All I Want Is You would all be in or just outside my top ten favorite songs for those respective artists.

Other things I liked:
1. The Ra Ra Riot song was a pleasant surprise.
2. The Best Coast song was also a good tune.
3. When I first saw the playlist I was pretty sure I was going to like it and it did not disappoint.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #45
Refugee

Thanks man! That ending combo is one of my favorites too.