Desert Island VIII Master List, Part One - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Resuming LemonMelon's list, which I started a few days ago. I got to "Blinded by Lights" by Streets when I stopped. The first half is incredibly enjoyable, except for the Smokey Robinson > Kanye spot (though I liked a few songs in there, including Kanye) in general it wasn't my thing.

Also, right now I'm trying to figure out why "Suffocate" was not on my list of favorite tracks from 2010.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

And now we have come to the end of the list. Really enjoyed the closing number. The section from The Streets > MGMT was really great, flowed wonderfully and ended before the party got old.

I didn't mind the songs in the next section either, just didn't like it as much as the previous.

Overall, this was a solid list and a really fun listen.

Glad to finally hear the whole thing after all the bits and pieces I've been exposed to over the last 6 months.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
He's not funny. He's the scariest motherfucker this world has ever known.

Also, I haven't been able to listen to lists in about a week so I am WAY behind, but I will try to make up today.
nah, i met the scariest motherfucker in the world. that guy hated u2. reggo's list puts him up there, because i am pretty sure the guy i was going to give the title to would love his playlist.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #139
Blue Crack Distributor

Moving on to Iron Yuppie's list, can I just reiterate how glad I am you used "Bored Games"? It was so hard picking between it and "Drifter" for my list, but "Drifter" ended up fitting better. God, I love that whole album, just fucking gre--

oh yeah, I was talking about your list. I'm obviously not that far in yet, but I'm enjoying the song selection a great deal so far, and the general feel of it. Will report back at the end of disc one.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

At the close of the first half of iYup's list, I have to say I'm enjoying this a great deal. The first part of the first part was my favorite part. ( ) I feel like there is a definite feeling/mood to the list and it's coming through quite well. Very excited for the rest of the list.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
At the close of the first half of iYup's list, I have to say I'm enjoying this a great deal. The first part of the first part was my favorite part. ( ) I feel like there is a definite feeling/mood to the list and it's coming through quite well. Very excited for the rest of the list.
Thanks, I appreciate that. It seems that our tastes align closely, so I thought that you might like it. I'm looking forward to yours.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that. It seems that our tastes align closely, so I thought that you might like it. I'm looking forward to yours.
Yeah, I'd agree, my list isn't very like anything I've done before, so I'm curious to see how it goes over. We'll find out.

I'm back to your list after a longer break than I'd anticipated (watching Bridezillas with my mother. classy.) and looking at the songs on this second half, I'm quite excited.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #143
Blue Crack Distributor

I have completed the list and I must say I enjoyed it a great deal. The flow wasn't so very tight on the second half, but the mood was still there, and the song selection was a no-brainer for me.

Overall it was a great list, I wasn't a huge fan of the second half of the first half, but otherwise, the rest was fantastic.

Would you recommend more by Veil Veil Vanish or is that more of a one-off track? I really enjoyed that one as well as the Zola Jesus track.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #144
45:33

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
He's not funny. He's the scariest motherfucker this world has ever known.
it's fucking creepy, is what it is.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Would you recommend more by Veil Veil Vanish or is that more of a one-off track? I really enjoyed that one as well as the Zola Jesus track.
I would definitely recommend them. I had the album on which "Anthem for a Doomed Youth" appears as number ten on my 2010 best-of list. It's that good, and I really don't know why none of the major review sites payed any attention to it. Anyways, here's what I wrote about it in the best-of thread:

One Amazon review that I read of Change in the Neon Light called it “the best Cure album in twenty years.” That assessment may not be terribly far off the mark. The influence of Head on the Door-era Robert Smith pervades the fractured vocals, dancing guitar/synth structures, and generally saturnine atmosphere, but the band also incorporates modern electronic influences and unabashed rock into the fold. I was lucky enough to find this album on an obscure review site; I hope that this band’s future efforts receive more attention, as they certainly deserve it.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #146
Blue Crack Distributor

So I wasn't alone in hearing the Cure. Cool, I will hit that up this evening, for sure.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #147
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Yeah, that Veil Veil Vanish track was the most interesting discovery for me from iron yuppie's list.

All in all that wasn't a bad list, and I easily got through it in a single sitting. I feel that the second half had the better songs, but that the first half had the better structure. Especially in terms of the first three songs, which fit together very well; Breathe felt a bit jarring afterwards, but that may be partly because I never particularly like hearing it. It's kind of funny that in the case of artists I don't like, the selections were tracks I didn't mind too much, while in the case of artists I do like, the selections were often tracks I find rather mediocre. At least that means that the passages I didn't think I'd enjoy proved to be more likeable than expected.

If I've learnt one thing from this tournament, my irrational kneejerk dislike for The Smiths/Morrissey is weakening with the passage of time.

There we go, done with the first group. But now I'm going away for a week, so it'll be a while until I get around to any more ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Reggo, you have managed to create something truly remarkable. Being a veteran of two DIs now I feel these lists really benefit from having a theme, as opposed to good choices, flow or story (Cassie's "ode to the beat") list.

I was familiar with very few of these artists, and after this list I won't seek out their music, but it was a tremendous listening experience. It really does sound like the soundtrack to a nightmare.

The flow was impeccable. I didn't even realise the Tori Amos track had started until about a minute in. The Isolation Cubicle track was horrific in the best way; it sounded like someone going insane after a week on their own in the dark.

I will side with Ashley though; this playlist would have been better, I thought, if it was shorter. It would have been very hard to beat if it ended after Please. Some might call the Sunn O track hypnotic; I want 16 minutes of my life back. Green Day didn't fit.

But otherwise this was very unique and despite the fact I don't like many of these artists I loved your list. Great, great job in creating such a mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
reggo's list: happy fucking halloween! ok, i get why everyone said it's this dark and creepy masterpiece now, because this is the kind of thing i've been failing miserably at putting together for the past i don't know how many late october attempts at coming up with a truly scary playlist. it flows very well, all the indiscernible noise on nearly every track blends together, and while at times that makes pieces of this practically unlistenable for me, it does what it's supposed to do as a whole. i said nearly, because you were right about the green day. definitely did not belong there. doesn't belong anywhere on the playlist at all, really.

song-wise, both you and screwtape made me think i should re-evaluate my disinterest in tori amos.

i have to agree with cobbler on the sunn o)))) track. or i would, but 1) i believe it's 13 minutes, not 16. and i cheated, scrolling through parts to see if anything other than an incessant drone happened, probably distilling it to a 5 minute abridged version.

but definitely a solid list.
Thanks, guys! I'm still refining it, not that I can submit it again, but the perfectionist in me has decided to continue tinkering.

IWB, I'm listening to yours first of the next crop. been kind of a slacker due to starting a new job and stuff, but tomorrow night it's being listened to, for sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Collapse
Highlight: The stretch of Red Sparowes, Whirl and Twin Panda.

Favorite Aspect: This playlist was probably the biggest surprise for me through the first eight. I liked it more than I expected. I think my favorite aspect is that the playlist stands out and it is very different from everything else so far. That’s great considering that the playlists have been so good and we have only gotten half of them so far.

Other Things I Liked:
1. The close of Zao, Architects and B.M. Sharp was my 2nd favorite stretch of the playlist.
2. All four sections were balanced in quality. I am not sure I could pick a favorite.
3. The Finntroll song takes the prize for the biggest WTF track of the competition.

I am now through all the playlists so far and my rankings are mess with two separate ties including one at the very top. I have no idea how I am going to break them either.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Listened to LemonMelon's list.

Things I liked:

- The variety of genres, rap, soul, electro, etc.
- "Hey Ladies", "Soothe Me" and "Electric Feel" were standout tracks for me.
-The rap surprisingly found a way to shake my groove thing! I wonder never considered rap something to make you dance too. And I normaly hate rap with a passion. But it was slower rap and and I wasn't fimilair with Lupe that much and some other artist you choose.
-Loved the electro strech with MGMT, Crystal Castles, Gorillaz, etc.
-Flow was seamless as always.
-Ended it Erykah Badu and Massive Attack. Woman power!

Things I didn't like:
-Out of 38 songs there were a couple songs I didn't care for or wasn't blown away by. Which considering the amount I do like is a very good thing. I found "Deadbeat Summer" reptitive and annoying. And I heard better from Madonna. I thought she could of been more original and I have heard many songs from her. And I can't stand The Streets. That was the only rap song (if you consider The Streets rap) I didn't like. I have always considered them a rap pop band I don't care for.

But overall, I believe you will recieve a very good rating from me! Right now I would say top but I still have many more lists to listen to. But a job well done.