Desert Island VII Master List, Part One - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #271
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 11:26 AM
LM, I'm gonna start yours as soon as it finishes downloading
__________________

__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #272
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,810
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
LM, I'm gonna start yours as soon as it finishes downloading
I was about to make a snarky comment about how late it was before remembering you're in Greece.

I hope you enjoy it.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I was about to make a snarky comment about how late it was before remembering you're in Greece.

I hope you enjoy it.
Haha yep, it's noon here and I'm chillin on the beach of a motherfucking island (I adventured to some Greek islands during my spring break)

You already get cool points for using What Goes On, the first song I ever learned to play on guitar
__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #274
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,810
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
Haha yep, it's noon here and I'm chillin on the beach of a motherfucking island (I adventured to some Greek islands during my spring break)

You already get cool points for using What Goes On, the first song I ever learned to play on guitar
My spring break was spent pining for anything other than my hometown, so good for you. At least I know your comments won't have a chip on their shoulder like mine.

Glad I could get some cool points early. This definitely isn't a rock the fuck out list, but there's some shit you'll dig, like Outkast and Lupe Fiasco. And I don't think there's anyone on this earth that doesn't enjoy Just Like Heaven.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

Glad I could get some cool points early. This definitely isn't a rock the fuck out list, but there's some shit you'll dig, like Outkast and Lupe Fiasco. And I don't think there's anyone on this earth that doesn't enjoy Just Like Heaven.
Yep yep, I know and love both the Lupe and Outkast tracks. I'm interested to see how they fit into your playlist. With the few rap tracks I've used in past DI's (none in mine this time unfortunately) I've found it kind of hard to get them to transition well and feel like they belong in the playlist. And of course I like Just Like Heaven.

As for rocking the fuck out - yeah even mine does that slightly less this time, I think (though don't worry - there are numerous rockin' songs). There's only one song that will scare the shit out of everyone no Fall of Troy, no Norma Jean. I feel like mine might be a little more to Interference's tastes than usual. We'll see.
__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #276
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yep, that might be the problem there. Everything before MPP is an acquired taste/awful.

I'm absolutely stunned you haven't heard My Girls and you post on this forum regularly. There were times last year I wish I could have gotten away from it.
oh yes, I heard My Girls maybe two or three times. that was pretty good. i've always got catching up to do...

then again, i'd never heard All My Friends until the other night.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post

As for rocking the fuck out - yeah even mine does that slightly less this time, I think (though don't worry - there are numerous rockin' songs).
Okay, I kind of lied. Upon further inspection, it rocks out way more than my last DI. But I think save for one song people will like most of the rocking out on my list.

LM, I'm 12 songs in and enjoying your list so far. It's quite pleasant.
__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #278
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:26 PM
I think I forget to mention listening to LM's list. I enjoyed it, it was one of the best constructed lists I've listened to, but I suppose that's to be expected after a year and a half working on it. I'd say I found it split from my style a little more than I was expecting it to, which a few times surprised me but some other times disappointed. Overall, I think the signature of this list is its construction, though, and for that, it's very well done.

I'm currently almost finished Liam's list. I'd describe the experience as laborious. There's a reason I never got very far into prog past Pink Floyd. This list is a bit of a reminder.

That piano improvisation, though, was outstanding.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
And I don't think there's anyone on this earth that doesn't enjoy Just Like Heaven.
Hate to burst this bubble, but I don't. It was, in fact, one of the few songs I didn't like on your list. I didn't understand the Cure when I was all mopey in middle/high school, and I certainly don't get them now. Maybe I'm missing out, but oh well.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #280
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Hate to burst this bubble, but I don't. It was, in fact, one of the few songs I didn't like on your list. I didn't understand the Cure when I was all mopey in middle/high school, and I certainly don't get them now. Maybe I'm missing out, but oh well.
I hope you weren't listening to Cure hits to try and find their mopey music.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Ha, no. I had quite a few friends who were into them at the time, and they tried to get me to like them—all in vain. And, after attempting to listen to Pornography and Disintegration in recent years, I've just given up.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #282
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,810
Local Time: 09:26 AM
The Cure is one of the best singles bands of all time, with Standing On A Beach being one of the great compilation albums ever. That being said, outside of The Head On The Door (a must-listen; don't give up on The Cure until you've heard this, their most fun record) and Disintegration, they were never much of an album band. I love them, and it must have been fun to have been around in the '80s to follow their catalogue through its many fascinating twists and turns, but they were never very consistent.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #283
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Ha, no. I had quite a few friends who were into them at the time, and they tried to get me to like them—all in vain. And, after attempting to listen to Pornography and Disintegration in recent years, I've just given up.
Well, that's a shame. But to each his/her own lol.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The Cure is one of the best singles bands of all time, with Standing On A Beach being one of the great compilation albums ever. That being said, outside of The Head On The Door (a must-listen; don't give up on The Cure until you've heard this, their most fun record) and Disintegration, they were never much of an album band. I love them, and it must have been fun to have been around in the '80s to follow their catalogue through its many fascinating twists and turns, but they were never very consistent.
See, this is (a massive) part of my problem with them. I'm an album listener. Always have been, so when bands are "singles" bands, I have issues. Then, on top of that, I'm not terribly fond of their sound(s) overall. (And, Robert Smith, what the fuck is wrong with your hair?!? There could be birds living in that nest. Hot damn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Well, that's a shame. But to each his/her own lol.
It is. They're a band I'd like to enjoy, hence my trying repeatedly to "get it," but it's just never clicked.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #285
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:26 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say they're a "singles" band. They just have a lot of great songs, but a lot of...not so great ones as well.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread phanan Just the Bang and the Clatter 199 03-24-2010 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com