Desert Island VI Album Game: FINAL - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please vote for the playlist you like the most.
Mr. V 9 56.25%
bono_212 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Yeah, a poll's probably the best idea to make it as fair as possible.

I just re-read my post there and didn't really mean to be so bitchy, especially since AB, you were one of the few people who enjoyed the hip-hop on my list (as far as I know, based on who made comments about it). But, at the same time, it's annoying for people to write off an entire genre simply because of some music that's not necessarily representative of the whole. I mean, I can understand if somebody just doesn't like the sound or whatever (even though I still think people should be more willing to give it a chance, since, again, the genre's terribly varied, like any other), but I have a feeling that one of the main reasons for the resistance to hip-hop here is more due to the views about content than the sound itself, though maybe I'm wrong here.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Quite honestly, you're really overreacting here.

I went back and looked at the polls you were in, plus the running diary thread. I can only assume you are referring to the posts hardy and myself made in the very first poll you were part of. hardy said your list was not his thing, so perhaps he doesn't like hip-hop as much, which is fine. My post merely said that there were some things I didn't care for on your list, but it never was specific to hip-hop, and really, that wasn't the main reason you didn't get my vote, because I like Outkast, DJ Shadow, and The Grey Album. I don't particularly care for Ryan Adams, for example, and I know he was on your list. There were a few more like that, and there were a couple of hip-hop songs I didn't like, but for me, that genre broke even on your playlist.

Just wanted to set the record straight on that, with my personal opinion that it wasn't solely due to your hip-hop selections that some people didn't vote for you.

A mini DI generally consists of either 8 or 16 people, depending on amount of interest. We only had 8 people for Retro and Prog (and technically, we didn't even hit 8 for that one). Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five people who would do hip-hop right away:

LMP
LM
AB
DaveC
oneblood

I don't think it's a stretch that three more people would do it, and I would probably be one of them (although mine would be hilariously retro).

So, we'll see what happens.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Here's an idea for a mini-tournament - just throwing it out there. 2009 only.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, we've discussed certain time periods previously.

At some point, I still want to try a pre-1970 one, but participation in that one might struggle to reach 8.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 PM
I just think it'd be a great idea to try and get people to basically summarize what they think is the year's best music, in a playlist that flows well 'n shit.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:03 AM
I could make a pretty bitchin' 2009 playlist, though I feel like if we're gonna do that we should wait 'til the end of the year.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #52
The Male

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I don't care for the 2009 idea. There's going to be far too much overlap. Also, assuming we do attempt it, it would be wise to wait another 4 months...right around the time we'll be collectively itching for DI7.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

hey when is this happening again? also i have an idea. what if all did Best of the 2000's playlists ... to celebrate the end of the decade. It would be a cool way to see what everyone enjoyed the most this decade.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #54
The Male

Oh yeah, I'm definitely down with that. I can have something whipped up in the next few weeks.

Now.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

if we did do that would you want a mini-DI or a full one?

also, i think we should take out the rule where you can't use songs from previous DI's if we do a best of decade list.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #56
The Male

Probably mini. But if we went the mini DI route, it wouldn't make sense to restrict song choices, since the two aren't supposed to overlap. I guess it would depend on how much interest it attracts.

Now.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

We've always done minis separate from regular DI. There aren't any restrictions with songs when it comes that.

A best of decade is intriguing, although I wonder how much different some lists will be. I think quite a few people will have a lot of similar artists.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

I know I'd have some different ones. Doubt many people here listen to Underoath, and if not for my last DI I don't think anyone would have even heard of This Town Needs Guns, who have possibly my second favourite song of the decade.

I think encompassing an entire decade would be fairly diverse ... probably about as diverse as any DI, really
Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

I would love to do a best of the '00s. There might be a lot of overlap between artists, but I bet not as much in the song choices. Plus, in most of the DIs, there's already quite a bit of artist overlap. It's bound to happen when we (mostly) have U2 in common taste-wise.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I would love to do a best of the '00s. There might be a lot of overlap between artists, but I bet not as much in the song choices. Plus, in most of the DIs, there's already quite a bit of artist overlap. It's bound to happen when we (mostly) have U2 in common taste-wise.
that's a good point. I know a lot of my song choices aren't singles, for example. I'm sure that will be true for a lot of people, so we'd probably get a lot of different selections

making a best of decade DI sounds so much better than doing homework right now

Tags
desert island