Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Three - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:33 AM
So phanan, you warned me that you're playlist would be downtempo but I didn't have any problems with that. I really enjoyed it. One of the better ones so far. The playlist had a nice mix of songs I didn't know and some favorites I could look forward to spread nicely throughout.

The flow was very good. I especially liked how you sneaked in New Seeds as the only truly electronic track without it sounding out of place. The transition from the synthy tracks to the more folky ones was also flawless. The only negative I can think of is the fact that the playlist became a bit more hit and miss from Minutes to Memories onwards. There were a few songs I didn't enjoy that much. Tracks (I hadn't heard before) that stood out to me included Winter Hill, Especially Me, This Time Around and Dark Center of the Universe. Lazuli was the highlight though. What a great track.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Mr. V: Lovely list. This is one of the few where I knew more than half the songs going into it but that didn't bother me at all. Mainly because it was just a very nice mix of songs I love. The stretch from All I Want to Hannah Hunt was the best example of this. Six great songs in a row. When R U Mine kicked in, I was all .

The transitions were very good indeed. I liked the high energy part of your playlist the most, but the comedown near the end worked as well. If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Angels form a golden duo, on paper and in reality. There were also enough songs I didn't know to keep it interesting. I didn't like them all but most were pretty good. The tracks I enjoyed the most were the CLASSIXX and Chromeo ones. Overal, very good.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

So I finished this batch today with Ashley's playlist. You've already won the prize for best artwork and most original concept for me. As with most of these lists, lots of songs I didn't know. I pretty much enjoyed the first 21 songs on your lists. Taste of Cindy was the best discovery I think. Laz also had a song of The Jesus and Mary Chain on his list which I loved so I'll have to get into them sooner or later. A Letter to Elise-Only Heather-Marilyn was a great stretch. Savannah Smiles was the absolute highlight. I love that song to death so that was always going to be a winner.

The songs after that didn't do much for me. I'm just not into that kind of music at the moment. It started getting better again from Dear Prudence onwards. Loved the inclusion of Karen and I heard a Rolling Stones song I really liked, which isn't always the case with me. You also get a thumbs up for putting Chelsea Dagger on there. The last minute of that song is pure bliss. The last song was a nice touch.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Thanks Niels! Glad to get some feedback, especially so positive :-).

Chelsea Dagger wouldn't have been there if the Hawks hadn't won the Stanley Cup, after that, I couldn't help myself.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Working through your list now, Ash. It's a blast. Prefab Sprout's "Bonny" is an underrated all-time jam.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Working through your list now, Ash. It's a blast. Prefab Sprout's "Bonny" is an underrated all-time jam.
I tried to convince her to roll with Bonny, but you can't go wrong with anything from Steve McQueen tbh.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #53
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow, I mixed up "Bonny" & "Goodbye Lucille." Don't post while half-asleep, gang.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks Jake , I'm glad you enjoyed (or at least were enjoying at one point!)

Prefab Sprout is still a band I haven't quite got into in a big way, but I think we're on the precipice.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #55
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Thanks Jake , I'm glad you enjoyed (or at least were enjoying at one point!)

Prefab Sprout is still a band I haven't quite got into in a big way, but I think we're on the precipice.
I did!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Trying to finish up this batch (running a little bit late):

namkcuR: that was a fun list. Really enjoyed most of it, in particular the disco/funk/R&B side. Lots of gems there that I hadn’t heard in a long time. This made me happy. The MJ song was a great way to start off. I also liked the George Harrison -> Tom Petty -> The Who sequence to finish things off. And Tangerine is my favourite Led Zeppelin song, so bonus points for that.

phanan: I agree with what nielsgov said – putting together a downtempo playlist worked really well. I was very fond of a number of sequences, including the Winter Hours-REM duo and the Low-National-Beck-George Harrison quartet, which flowed perfectly. The ending was also brilliant – Sprawl II is probably the best Arcade Fire song post-Funeral. There are a few things there that I didn’t know and will want to check out, including Winter Hours and The Jayhawks.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I've been dancing around my apartment to Mr. V's list all late morning/early afternoon. Good shit.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
phanan: I agree with what nielsgov said – putting together a downtempo playlist worked really well. I was very fond of a number of sequences, including the Winter Hours-REM duo and the Low-National-Beck-George Harrison quartet, which flowed perfectly. The ending was also brilliant – Sprawl II is probably the best Arcade Fire song post-Funeral. There are a few things there that I didn’t know and will want to check out, including Winter Hours and The Jayhawks.
Hey, thanks for checking it out.

I'm going to use DI to expose Winter Hours as best I can. If there was ever a band that should have succeeded, it was them. They only released a number of EPs and one proper album, but the material is first rate. They draw from a plethora of influences including R.E.M., The Feelies, Big Star, The Byrds, and more. The track I selected, Island Of Jewels, is from a compilation CD called Wait Till The Morning that brings two earlier EPs together. The most well known song on it is Hyacinth Girl, which received strong airplay on college radio stations back in the mid 80's. Why they didn't get a proper record deal at that moment is beyond me.

They eventually released a full studio album in 1989 produced by Lenny Kaye of Patti Smith fame, which added a bit of a country rock element to their sound, not unlike The Jayhawks a few years later. Unfortunately, the label never marketed them properly, and the band decided it wasn't worth continuing on, which was a real shame. Years later the lead singer, whose silky baritone drew comparisons to Jim Morrison, died alone on the streets of Boston, so a reunion is out of the cards.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

namkcuR

A nice representation of the 70's, for the most part. A lot of well-known songs, and you certainly ran the gamut of selections from that decade. Some all-time classics here, along with others that my mother used to listen to on the AM radio while driving me around in a silver Honda Civic when I was 6 or 7 years old that I don't need to hear again (hello Carpenters).

I would have liked to have seen a few more deep album cuts - it's a bit top heavy with established hit singles. Not necessarily a bad thing, just my opinion. Like how you pulled out Factory for this (I wouldn't have chosen that particular song, but I appreciate how you went further with that one). And as for the electronica/prog section at the end, I obviously like those songs, but Any Colour You Like is difficult to listen to and transition in and out of on its own, which made the section a bit jarring. If anything, to truly represent prog and poke fun at it at the same time, I would have made that section one song only, perhaps by using Floyd's Echoes.

Having said that, lots of great songs here, and you did cover a lot of what the decade was all about in terms of music, which was the idea, so kudos for that.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

bono_212

Absolutely wonderful playlist, Ashley. That was a real treat to listen to. I'm marveling at the way it all goes together so seamlessly. You have all these songs mixed up in an order that I would have never thought possible, but holy shit, they go together so well. I'm looking at the list and seeing, for example, Marillion into Steve Perry and thinking, that can't be good. But it was. The only hiccup I could find was Ruby Tuesday into Walk Away Renee, and that's only because the latter starts so suddenly because of its original source. I also think it would have been cool to keep the instrumental intro that leads into Maggie May on here, as it would have sounded great after Okkervil River (it's featured as a single track on many compilations, although I understand they are separate on Every Picture Tells A Story).

Rosalita would have been a great inclusion, but for what you were going for, no way it would have worked with it being so long. Candy's Room makes up for it anyway. Although I protest the omission of Betty Davis Eyes.