Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Four - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Alright, just finished Bonnie's list.

Good list although there was some stuff I definitely did not enjoy as much. Lots of songs I'd heard before that I love ("Flashing Lights", "Arcade Blues", "Why Won't They Talk To Me?", "Strangers In The Wind", "This Is The Last Time"), a few songs I was hearing for the first time that I liked a lot ("The Streets Will Never Look The Same" and "Brothers" being two examples), some stuff I've heard before that I like ("Die", "Ten Years Gone", "Never Matter", "Evil"). The stuff I generally wasn't a fan of were the rap portions although I did call that one dude who seems to change his stage name according to wikipedia being the guy from "Clint Eastwood", which I thought was pretty rad. Also some of the electronica stuff sometimes loses me.

The flow was very good throughout, though. I think as a whole in this tournament, flow has been some of the best I've encountered as a cohesive desert island unit.

Anyway, good stuff. I'll really have to check out The War On Drugs and Chromatics.

Next up will be Mr. V.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:40 PM
IWB

Gotta say, I loved this. The songs rocked and your playlist title is hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the start with the first five or so songs, liked the inclusion of Barenaked Ladies and the Bosstones in the middle of it, and thought the ending from DM to NIN was fantastic. Easily the best playlist you've done so far, as far as I'm concerned. Woke me up on my drive to work this morning and had me laughing out loud at times - just what I needed to start the day.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

LMP

You certainly covered a lot of ground with this one...

Loved the start. I actually hadn't heard Bagboy yet, and thought it was great. Moving further down, great Prince choice, Strokin' is an all-time classic, and Bound 2 is one of my faves from Yeezus, although the other hip hop selections were a bit hit or miss for me. Also, and I think someone else mentioned it, the transitions seemed to be a bit choppy at times, but I don't think that was a major priority for you here anyway.

For Part 2, I will say going from TV Girl to Washed Out sounded very cool. And there was a nice mix of older stuff with songs of a more recent vintage. Probably no surprise that I liked the inclusion of Wild Wild Life and Modern Love.

Tourist mentioned the sound quality variations previously, and it was noticeable in spots. In particular, Sleigh Bells seemed a bit off - what was your source for that one? Because I have the CD ripped onto my iPod and it doesn't sound nearly as distorted as what was on here. That isn't a critique or anything, just a curious observation.

So because you had so much on here, there were still a majority of songs I dug, but of course it also left room for other tracks that I didn't care for as much. I think neils mentioned eclectic, and I'd certainly agree with that.

Always good to have you included with DI. I never know what to expect from you, and that keeps it refreshing...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
IWB

Gotta say, I loved this. The songs rocked and your playlist title is hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the start with the first five or so songs, liked the inclusion of Barenaked Ladies and the Bosstones in the middle of it, and thought the ending from DM to NIN was fantastic. Easily the best playlist you've done so far, as far as I'm concerned. Woke me up on my drive to work this morning and had me laughing out loud at times - just what I needed to start the day.
Wow, wasn't expecting this. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #95
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
LMP You certainly covered a lot of ground with this one... Loved the start. I actually hadn't heard Bagboy yet, and thought it was great. Moving further down, great Prince choice, Strokin' is an all-time classic, and Bound 2 is one of my faves from Yeezus, although the other hip hop selections were a bit hit or miss for me. Also, and I think someone else mentioned it, the transitions seemed to be a bit choppy at times, but I don't think that was a major priority for you here anyway. For Part 2, I will say going from TV Girl to Washed Out sounded very cool. And there was a nice mix of older stuff with songs of a more recent vintage. Probably no surprise that I liked the inclusion of Wild Wild Life and Modern Love. Tourist mentioned the sound quality variations previously, and it was noticeable in spots. In particular, Sleigh Bells seemed a bit off - what was your source for that one? Because I have the CD ripped onto my iPod and it doesn't sound nearly as distorted as what was on here. That isn't a critique or anything, just a curious observation. So because you had so much on here, there were still a majority of songs I dug, but of course it also left room for other tracks that I didn't care for as much. I think neils mentioned eclectic, and I'd certainly agree with that. Always good to have you included with DI. I never know what to expect from you, and that keeps it refreshing...
Sleigh Bells may have been a download from a while back. I had assumed the distortion was part of the production. I have a bit of a tin ear when it comes to audio disparity, which also can be attributed to not having a pair of high quality headphones like I used to in the past.

I appreciate the write-up!

I've been experimenting a lot with different mixtapes lately and have come to find out this site and contest place far greater emphasis on individual transitions. It puts a lot of pressure to stick to either one particular style or theme over a period, and like you mentioned, doesn't particularly jive with me at the moment. A lot of lists do a far greater job of that in a shorter period -- fantastic work.

Is it safe to assume that not many folks in particular dug the hip-hop portion too much? Figured it going in, but am still curious to know for sure.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Is it safe to assume that not many folks in particular dug the hip-hop portion too much? Figured it going in, but am still curious to know for sure.
For what it's worth, I liked Kanye, Wiz, and Kendrick Lamar.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

djerdap

Certainly one of the more unique entries in the history of DI.

I think neils mentioned post-rock previously in regards to the first part, but I didn't get that vibe. Are these really post-rock artists? Cuz I generally love post-rock, and they sounded more like standard hard rock to me.

I liked the first song the best out of this group (not counting Sigur Rós), and also enjoyed Nebo. Obviously Untitled #8 is fantastic; always nice to see some love for (). The rest didn't stand out as much.

My other favorite part of this playlist were the last two songs of Disc 2. Narko in particular was awesome. The rest was actually quite interesting and entertaining, although it probably won't be something I go back to often. Very cool entry though - the best part of DI is always learning about different types of music and hearing new things. Certainly got that here.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Is there an update on when these are now officially due? Looking forward to the results.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #99
The Male

I have received 12 of 19 rankings. Everyone who I still need rankings from has received notification from me either by PM or email. The goal is to have the results thread up by Monday night, so make sure you have your lists in by Sunday night.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, LMP, you definitely beat me at my own game on the first part of your playlist. That carefree vibe is exactly what I was going for in the first part of mine.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #101
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Well, LMP, you definitely beat me at my own game on the first part of your playlist. That carefree vibe is exactly what I was going for in the first part of mine.
Oh shit, that's high praise!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh yes, the first part of your playlist was really fantastic. Carefree is a great way to describe it - I had been thinking about a good adjective for it myself.

Will post more thoughts later.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

The Sad Punk

Nice list, Bonnie. Hadn't heard any of the first few songs and really liked all of them. The hip hop selections were a bit uneven for me. For example, Reagan is excellent, but I could have done without The Full Retard. Great track with Deltron 3030, and of course Kanye is Kanye - never a bad thing there.

From Flashing Lights to the end was probably my favorite part, and I don't even care for Flaming Lips or Bowie, but those are two songs I like. And this is the second DI appearance for Phosphorescent, who is apparently an artist I need to hear more of. Absolutely loved this song.

Great listen.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

I'll have my rankings in tonight.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

I lied. I just sent them over via email.