Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2 - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I don't think that's still a lingering concern (assuming you're talking about The Who tragedy in the late '70s), because many acts do the non-seated GA thing. I think if that was still "a thing," fewer acts would do that, or fewer venues would allow it.
I was thinking of that, but I seem to recall there's been a few other ones, too. Shootings at some and the fire at that nightclub in Rhode Island a number of years ago and things of that sort.

I don't know how much control bands would have over that, I'm assuming much of that is the say of the venues themselves as well. Especially if it's a venue that showcases things besides bands.

But then again, my concert experience is horribly limited, so I don't know if places adapt to each event or what.
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #617
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 893
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
but US arena shows aren't at that level of clusterfuck.
Oh so you are now implying that Americans are more elegant and less crazy than Europeans?
__________________

__________________
Dfit00 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #618
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,090
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I don't think that's still a lingering concern (assuming you're talking about The Who tragedy in the late '70s), because many acts do the non-seated GA thing. I think if that was still "a thing," fewer acts would do that, or fewer venues would allow it.

I know there have been other tragedies in Europe, at festivals and the like, but US arena shows aren't at that level of clusterfuck.
I've been to plenty of arena shows with GA floor, Muse, Foo Fighters, U2, Incubus, No Doubt. So in my area it's not a concern. It's possible the insurance costs more, but that shouldn't matter to a band like Coldplay. For whatever reason, they have consistently chosen to do seated floors for at least the past 3 tours in the US only. I have no idea why.
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #619
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00
Oh so you are now implying that Americans are more elegant and less crazy than Europeans?
Yes, thats exactly what she was implying
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #620
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 11:53 PM
It's patently obvious, is it not?
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #621
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Oh so you are now implying that Americans are more elegant and less crazy than Europeans?
No. I meant that the situations were clusterfucks. Because call me crazy, but if a concert crowd leads to people being crushed and/or trampled, I'd call that a clusterfuck of a situation.

But by all means, please carry on with the general obnoxiousness you've been spreading all over this site for the last few months.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #622
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I was thinking of that, but I seem to recall there's been a few other ones, too. Shootings at some and the fire at that nightclub in Rhode Island a number of years ago and things of that sort..
True. But I don't think GA vs seats would prevent either situation.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #623
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 09:53 PM
This is true, I agree with you. I'm just figuring this is what the people who make such decisions are probably thinking, futile though it may be, as you say.

Bah. I dunno.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #624
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 07:53 PM
I'm guessing Coldplay (or LiveNation?) went with this arrangement because they wanted to get hundreds of dollars for front row seats. I think it's as simple as that.

And you know, honestly, I don't have a problem with that. knock yourselves out, boys. Just expect a lot of flack for it.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #625
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Seating in GA is almost always about (targeted) pricing. Certainly not safety, especially in arenas.
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #626
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 07:53 PM
They're also catching flack for not putting MX on Spotify and other streaming services, but I guess they believe they will ultimately sell more records that way.

If you ask me, it's just giving people an excuse to download it, but it's there business so...
__________________
Danny Boy is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #627
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 11:53 PM
I don't think Coldplay's music lends itself to becoming "clusterfucks", in the same way that U2's music doesn't. It's not like there will be tons of people moshing or whatever on the floor, so the only reason there are seats is to get as much money as possible.

I wonder, however, why a band like U2 has GA (at least the last 3 tours) and Coldplay does not, even though they're both with LiveNation.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #628
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 02:53 PM
WAIT. So are you all telling me that there is GA at the Coldplay shows, but you still have to find a seat?

__________________
cobl04 is online now  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #629
ONE
love, blood, life
 
ryancoke71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,678
Local Time: 11:53 PM
No, you have to buy a specific seat. The closer they are, the more they cost.
__________________
ryancoke71 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #630
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 07:53 PM
yeah, there's no general admission - it's reserved seating on the floor.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com