Bands that Changed so Much You Feel Personally Betrayed By Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blink's not that bad. They're boring these days, but who have they really betrayed? Everyone old enough to care should have grown out of that sound by now.

The Cult had a good sound with Dreamtime and Live.. Then changed with Electric thanks to Rick Rubin's production then got super butt rock with Sonic Temple.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

giphy.gif

Fred Gwynne must be rolling over in his grave.

OH my God, I know. They've ruined the Munsters for me, and I'll never forgive them that.

I still like them, but I mostly only go back to their Nitro Records albums these days.

Yeah, I get that. I'm kinda in the same boat, as well.

Not sure how serious you are..? Five songs from the latest album out of 21 and five from that self-titled which was huge (and great) plus a solid smattering from the rest? Also, aren't we the first to say kudos to bands who play new stuff over old stuff?

I'm 100% serious. Their self-titled is sell-out garbage, their new one is trash. 10 songs from two sell out albums is pretty awful.

Kudos to a band that plays material from GOOD new albums :wink:.

I didn't like the self titled album. I did like Neighborhoods though, the new one.

I will also throw blink 182 on the bus though. Pretending like they're still blink 182 without Tom DeLonge.

I love, "I Miss You" but for fucks sake, they're 30+ year old men singing about The Nightmare Before Christmas to sell albums to Hot Topic teenagers.

Sorry, you get no love from me for that.

I loved that album. Songs like Stockholm Syndrome, Violence, Feeling This, ruled. The whole thing had a palpable sense of atmosphere. I never listen to it, but I liked it a lot at the time.

I thought Neighborhoods was exactly the opposite of the immature self titled album where you had grown ass men still acting like they were 20 to feed an audience. Neighborhoods was much more mature, and content-wise seems to be blink-182 being reminiscent of when they were younger. Plus, it's interesting seeing it feature random tidbits like a hardcore breakdown/progressive time change here or there. Really shows how much they've matured as musicians.

The biggest criticism of the album, of course, is that it comes off as an Angels and Airwaves album with Travis Barker on drums.

I loved that album. Songs like Stockholm Syndrome, Violence, Feeling This, ruled. The whole thing had a palpable sense of atmosphere. I never listen to it, but I liked it a lot at the time.

This isn't one of those holier-than-thou comments at all, but have you listened to their older material?

Oh yeah. Lots of great songs there. I'd be reasonably happy with that setlist though.

Fair enough.

As for the show, I was there. It was awful. Not only because of the lack of older material, but because their attempt to sell out to the Hot Topic crowd clearly worked out. That audience was NOT the median age for what you would expect a band of 40 year olds to draw. Those kids were the worst crowd I'd ever seen at a show, almost died (not exaggerating) trying to get out of the swarm of people moshing (not even at the front of the pit) and they didn't even react, like, at all to the few less well-known singles the band DID play. It was insane.

I kind of feel the same way about AFI that I feel about the Alkaline Trio, although a lesser extent. AFI had more than 1 good album, 1 ok album, and then total garbage before and after those two albums (especially after Crimson, the stuff after was particularly trash). Black Sails and Sing the Sorrow are the only two AFI albums I ever feel compelled to listen to any more. But I don't dislike their earlier stuff nor hate their later stuff as much as I do with the Alkaline Trio.

I actually prefer the Van Hagar era

I loved when Sammy joined Van Halen. I hated when people referred to them as Van Hagar, though.

I loved when DLR went solo and got Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, and Gregg Bissonette for his band. Once those guys were gone, David Lee Roth sucked.

I loved when Sammy joined Van Halen. I hated when people referred to them as Van Hagar, though.

I loved when DLR went solo and got Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, and Gregg Bissonette for his band. Once those guys were gone, David Lee Roth sucked.

of course everybody's gonna sound good once you have Vai and Sheehan. it's not fair

but Reaper just sounds like collection of snippets of songs Matt liked. like outro where it just sounds like Freedom by RATM.

When I listen to Reapers I'm not sure if I'm listening to Matt Bellamy have a midlife crisis or John Petrucci have a midlife crisis. Either way, it's the musical equivalent of buying a convertible and dumping your wife for your 20 year old secretary.

Da fuck? Singing wise yes, but once Dave left the magic was gone

They are 2 different sounds and I enjoy both.

DLR. Ain't Talkin Bout Love. Panama. Unchained. Everybody Wants Some. Are standouts for me

Hagar. Poundcake. Top of the World. Humans Being. Dreams. Best of Both Worlds. 5150. Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do.

Those seem to be my thumbs up on my Van Halen Pandora Station when I'm working out.

I enjoy Sammy's voice filling earnest stadium rock anthems.

DLR era contain great raw classic songs especially 'Van Halen'. However, DLR seems to be channeling his inner "Yabba Dabba Do!" Swagger on other albums.

I guess that's where my favoritism comes from. During my formative music years i found my preference for big stadium filling anthems finding purchase with both U2 and Hagar era VH.

Montrose rock. Van Hager..? not necessarily. DLR era songs rock, but van hager era doesn't have songs. come on, DLR era has this:

Last edited:
Oh, just thought of another: Christopher Owens.

When he was in Girls, holy crap so good.

Now? Meh.

I've got one that probably nobody but the Australians will recognise, and those three or four will probably not agree with the premise.

Augie March.

Their debut was sprawling, indulgent, magical. It was some kind of time capsule, I dunno, plugging back into all sort of points in the national culture. "Owen's Lament" is probably the greatest song by an Australian band this century.

Their second album was pretty good.

Their third album was alright, and spawned the massive hit single 'One Crowded Hour'. Then they went to shit. They turned into, well, pretty much Augie March became the template for the modern Triple Jay Indie Band; a bit twee, a bit cute, a bit poppy, albeit with a more literary bent than you'll get from the high school kids they play nowadays.

It killed them as a band, I am quite convinced. They broke up for six or seven years, and their return was greeted with a giant yawn.

Last edited:
Going back years, but the band Live. They were my first ever favourite band and I enjoyed Secret Samadhi and Throwing Copper immensely. I found Live particularly exciting and cryptically interesting lyrically. But they gradually declined with each album after that, culminating in an atrocious album that featured the most bland, generic pop-rock songs imaginable, with one song titled "(Love Shines) A Song for my Daughters about God". That album was the ultimate betrayal. I remain baffled at how the band that thrilled me so much as a young teen. evolved into something so viciously unpleasant.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Pretty much all those late nineties bands whose frontmen were blown away by Bono in 1987, ended up being dreadful. The caravan moves on.

I've got one that probably nobody but the Australians will recognise, and those three or four will probably not agree with the premise.

Augie March.

Their debut was sprawling, indulgent, magical. It was some kind of time capsule, I dunno, plugging back into all sort of points in the national culture. "Owen's Lament" is probably the greatest song by an Australian band this century.

Their second album was pretty good.

Their third album was alright, and spawned the massive hit single 'One Crowded Hour'. Then they went to shit. They turned into, well, pretty much Augie March became the template for the modern Triple Jay Indie Band; a bit twee, a bit cute, a bit poppy, albeit with a more literary bent than you'll get from the high school kids they play nowadays.

It killed them as a band, I am quite convinced. They broke up for six or seven years, and their return was greeted with a giant yawn.

This is interesting. I only know One Crowded Hour, didn't know they had stuff before that. thanks for sharing. For what it's worth I think that song, whilst not nearly the world-beating masterpiece it so wants to be and many fans have thrust upon it - is still miles ahead of the shit that gets eaten up on Triple J. It feels like there's something at stake in that song. Most of the JJJ hits don't feel anything.

Sunset Studies is an album worth checking out, no matter the band's reputation (ie. they were no live band).

One Crowded Hour is certainly vastly superior to any recent Triple J no. 1, ftr. It's just it's also, imo, the song that broke them (in a bad way).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom