Band of horses appriciation thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 12:28 AM
Well, I've been doing a little research this morning and apparently they are really uneven live. Some shows are really great, and with others the band seems lazy or Brock is fucked up, and after two opening acts they take like another hour to come on. That kind of attitude/unprofessionalism is the downside of some good indie bands. I'm trying to find out who the opening act is. I was hoping it would be Band of Horses (see, staying on topic!) but they're on their own tour now. I kind of have a bad feeling about this show...
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Well, I've been doing a little research this morning and apparently they are really uneven live. Some shows are really great, and with others the band seems lazy or Brock is fucked up, and after two opening acts they take like another hour to come on. That kind of attitude/unprofessionalism is the downside of some good indie bands. I'm trying to find out who the opening act is. I was hoping it would be Band of Horses (see, staying on topic!) but they're on their own tour now. I kind of have a bad feeling about this show...
I've unfortunately heard the same thing. They've been around for so freaking long though, I dont know what to think. They have to at least be decent even when they're bad, other wise how would they have ever gotten as big as they are?

Love As Laughter is the opener in Albuquerque according to Pitchfork. Rilo Kiley opened here, which would have been cool.
__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #18
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:28 AM
I imagine Modest Mouse has its own thread!!

Cease to Begin has that opening magic with the first two songs being so intoxicating and gripping that it's almost impossible to stop listening after that.

I've been listening to it over and over again and never skipping a track.

Then I went back to Z and of course MMJ are the greatest at this new southern rock thing.

Weird, because I like KOL too and that band gets all the play but I think that BOH and MMJ beat KOL every time.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #19
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Not trying to turn this into a MMJ or KOL thread any more than anyone else was trying to turn it into a MM thread.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #20
War Child
 
tanner_sis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 974
Local Time: 02:28 AM
okay if you have tix to see MM live SO FUCKIN DO IT!! they are on the ball! and the incosistant /isaac fucked up thing was soooo from previous tours..they are so great live! I just got back from a road trip this weekend and saw them 3 times..and once more in december in chicago..

as for BOH yes..still loving them..tho im kinda sad robin left the band..but hes with LAL now..and they are still great..also check out Man Man..fuckin wild!
__________________
tanner_sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Saw Band of Horses in Minneapolis last Wednesday, and wow, they fulfilled every expectation I had of them. Apparently, the sound monitors were messed up, so they were yelling a bit on stage, but everything sounded great from my perspective (front row ), and the guys were great about it. The Funeral was a highlight for me, but really, all the songs were amazing, and they sound nearly identical to the album versions.













__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 01:28 AM
EDIT: I'm in no way implying anyone in this thread has or is in any way shape or form doing what is below. I've quite enjoyed everyone's pics in the thread. Just realized after I posted the link that someone may mistake my reasons for posting.



One of my friends just pointed me towards this interview last week. I admittedly didn't read the whole thing, but I found this interesting and spot on in regards to some indie crowds lately:

Link

But then you had all these kids up front, that seemed so disinterested in the show and didn't look up at the stage or anything. They just kind of sat there in front of the stage. Just seemed like they didn't want to be there at all, until we played "The Funeral". So all of a sudden you had these people that seemed so disinterested in the show all, somehow at the same time, pull their cameras out of their bags and start filming.

So I'm sitting there-- now they're really interested in this one song-- and they still won't make eye contact, looking through their little lenses, taping this one song for their blogs or for their fucking YouTube [accounts] or whatever, and it was just so annoying. It's like, this show is already going south, and these people that seem disinterested are only here to further their YouTube accounts or their blogs or whatever, and it just pissed me off.

It was really annoying. It was just scratching at the surface of what's happening to shows lately. Everybody's got a camera in their pocket, and they turn it on to just, I don't know, exploit us in some way or further their own projects or whatever the fuck they're doing with their websites and shit. It's become a little bit ridiculous, and it was just a bit unnerving, and [with] the situation with the show and everything, all the stars lined up and I got pissed off.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
EDIT: I'm in no way implying anyone in this thread has or is in any way shape or form doing what is below. I've quite enjoyed everyone's pics in the thread. Just realized after I posted the link that someone may mistake my reasons for posting.



One of my friends just pointed me towards this interview last week. I admittedly didn't read the whole thing, but I found this interesting and spot on in regards to some indie crowds lately:

Link

But then you had all these kids up front, that seemed so disinterested in the show and didn't look up at the stage or anything. They just kind of sat there in front of the stage. Just seemed like they didn't want to be there at all, until we played "The Funeral". So all of a sudden you had these people that seemed so disinterested in the show all, somehow at the same time, pull their cameras out of their bags and start filming.

So I'm sitting there-- now they're really interested in this one song-- and they still won't make eye contact, looking through their little lenses, taping this one song for their blogs or for their fucking YouTube [accounts] or whatever, and it was just so annoying. It's like, this show is already going south, and these people that seem disinterested are only here to further their YouTube accounts or their blogs or whatever, and it just pissed me off.

It was really annoying. It was just scratching at the surface of what's happening to shows lately. Everybody's got a camera in their pocket, and they turn it on to just, I don't know, exploit us in some way or further their own projects or whatever the fuck they're doing with their websites and shit. It's become a little bit ridiculous, and it was just a bit unnerving, and [with] the situation with the show and everything, all the stars lined up and I got pissed off.
I completely get where he's coming from...I, admittedly and obviously, bring my camera to every show I go to, simply because I want at least a few shots to remember the evening. I do try to keep the picture taking to a minimum though, and I put it away for good chunks of time simply to soak in the performance. Also, out of respect for the artist, I keep the flash off, especially since if you're not in the first couple rows, flash isn't going to help at all and will probably make the pictures look worse.

However, for example, at the Minneapolis show, even though there were plenty of people taking pictures and such, the crowd was dancing and singing along the whole night. It just depends, I think. But, if I were a performer, I'd get really annoyed and pissed off if people were looking bored the whole night, and then whipped out their cameras to tape one song and put it up for their own personal YouTube glory. That's just ridiculous.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #24
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 01:28 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with taking your camera and getting some photos to remember the night, onebloodonelife. Especially being a fan, makes complete sense. I have been to shows in the last couple years where there are people who don't seem to have any clue who the band even is or what any of the songs are that are up front grabbing pictures/video though. That is pretty annoying. I always hate how the press people will push people up front out of the way so they can take some pictures for 20 minutes. If they wanted the pictures so badly, they should have come early!
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Please, pretty please, Ben, don't become one of these anti-media I live in a hobbit hole blogs are from the devil types.

Blogs are the new zine, and we all live, breathe, and bet our lives on plugging bands like Band of Horses.

That said, I still can;t stop listening to the new record.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #26
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:28 AM
More tour dates. Shows I can catch!!!

01-20 Charleston, SC - Music Farm
01-21 Norfolk, VA - The Norva
01-22 Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore at the TLA
01-23 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
01-24 State College, PA - State Theatre
01-25 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
01-26 Louisville, KY - Headliners Music Hall
01-27 Newport, KY - Southgate House
01-29 Nashville, TN - Exit/In
01-30 Memphis, TN - HiTone Café
01-31 St. Louis, MO - Gargoyle
02-01 Norman, OK - Meacham Auditorium (University of Oklahoma)
02-02 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
02-03 Austin, TX - La Zona Rosa
02-04 Baton Rouge, LA - Spanish Moon
02-06 Birmingham, AL - Bottle Tree
02-07 Tallahassee, FL - Beta Bar
02-09 Orlando, FL - Social
02-10 Orlando, FL - Social
02-12 Mt. Pleasant, SC - Village Tavern
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #27
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:28 AM
The crushing feeling that I have no shows coming up to look forward to was cured yesterday by finding out in one day that I will be seeing Springsteen and Band of Horses in 2008. Also likely to score Foo Fighters. Ahhhhhh.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #28
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,668
Local Time: 03:28 AM
So has anyone noticed that "The Funeral" is being used in Ford commercials now?
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac
So has anyone noticed that "The Funeral" is being used in Ford commercials now?
I did. I was actually half-sleeping on the couch and heard the song, so I flipped over real quick to see why it was on TV.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #30
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Is anyone going to see em this leg? All the shows in this region are sold out.

Where do we get the setlists?

I have had no luck finding a BoH fan forum.
__________________

__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
band of horses

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com