B&C's Best Albums of 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
01. Tame Impala Lonerism (15)
02. Twin Shadow: Confess (14)
03. Wild Nothing: Nocturne (13)
04. Lotus Plaza: Spooky Action At A Distance (11)
05. Passion Pit: Gossamer (11)
06. Stars: The North (6)
07. Poor Moon: Poor Moon (6)
08. Damian Jurado: Maraqopa (5)
09. Melody's Echo Chamber: Melody's Echo Chamber (4)
10. Grizzly Bear: Shields (4)
11. Father John Misty: Fear Fun (3)
12. Pop Etc.: Pop Etc. (3)
13. David Bazan: Strange Negotiations (2)
14. The Fresh & Onlys: Long Slow Dance (2)
15. Frank Ocean: Channel Orange (1)

And now with my comments. Probably not as eloquent as others.

01. Tame Impala: Lonerism (15)

One of the best albums of the last ten years in my opinion. I can only think of one off the top of my head that I enjoy more. The whole album is standout from start to finish, but the peaks are Mind Mischief, Feels Like We Only Go Backwards, and Elephant. My only qualm is that I wish they would have involved the bonus tracks (Led Zeppelin and Beverly Laurel). In the modern age, if the quality is still unbelievably high, there is no reason not to include everything when it fits in so well. Still holding out on actually procuring those two until I can get them in some form of lossless. Either way, a massive, wonderful, swirling album.

02. Twin Shadow: Confess (14)

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't think there was any chance that the followup would surpass Forget. And I'm happy to be wrong. The production on this album is just perfect. Some of the standouts to me are Patience, Five Seconds, and Be Mine Tonight. It's an album that I can listen to over and over in a row and not get tired of. There are few albums I can do that with and not get overly tired of - this is one of those.

03. Wild Nothing: Nocturne (13)

I remember reading about Wild Nothing on here when Gemini came out. I remember the fact that I listened to Gemini, but I can't say that I remember any of the songs, melodies, or hooks. So I almost chose not to listen to Nocturne based off of this. Glad I listened to it, because quite a bit of this album sticks with me - hooks and melodies galore, which is a bit of an anomalie for this style of music. At least in my opinion. Standouts to me are Rheya, Paradise, and Only Heather.

04. Lotus Plaza: Spooky Action At A Distance (11)

Very solid album throughout - nothing that screams single, but also nothing that could possibly be chopped. This is an album I find myself listening to with fresh ears nearly every time I hear it since I don't remember a lot of it. It's a blurry, hazy album, and I love it for that reason. Whenever I listen to it, I promise myself I'll remember the hooks, and I do some (Jets Out Of The Tundra being one in particular), but many I let myself forget until the next listen so I can rediscover them. That may not sound necessarily glowing, and almost goes against what I said about Beach House recently, but there's just something I like here more than there. Maybe it's the real drums. :wink:

05. Passion Pit: Gossamer (11)

When I first listened to Gossamer, I was a little underwhelmed because I remember how much I loved Little Secrets, The Reeling, and Seaweed Song off of Manners. But the more I listened to it, the more the hooks grabbed me. Take A Walk, Carried Away, and Constant Conversations are all very high peaks, with lower peaks being Mirrored Sea, Cry Like A Ghost, and I'll Be Alright. A very summer album despite the depressing lyrics. In many recent years, this would be a top 2 album for me and it pains me to rate it so low.

06. Stars: The North (6)

Standouts: The Theory of Relativity, Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It, Walls

07. Poor Moon: Poor Moon (6)*

Standouts: Birds, Holiday, Waiting For

08. Damian Jurado: Maraqopa (5)

Standouts: Life Away From The Garden, Reel To Reel, Everyone A Star

09. Melody's Echo Chamber: Melody's Echo Chamber (4)**

Standouts: I Follow You, Some Time Alone Alone, Quand Vas Tu Rentrer?

10. Grizzly Bear: Shields (4)

Standouts: Sleeping Ute, Sun In Your Eyes

11. Father John Misty: Fear Fun (3)

Standouts: Nancy From Now On, I'm Writing A Novel, This Is Sally Hatchet

12. Pop Etc.: Pop Etc. (3)***

Standouts: New Life, Live It Up, Communicate, Yoyo

13. David Bazan: Strange Negotiations (2)

Standouts: People, Virginia, Strange Negotiations

14. The Fresh & Onlys: Long Slow Dance (2)

Standouts: Presence Of Mind, Dream Girls, Fire Alarm

15. Frank Ocean: Channel Orange (1)

Standouts: Pyramid, Pink Matter, Sweet Life

*side project of bassist and keyboardist from Fleet Foxes
**produced by Kevin Parker of Tame Impala
***formerly The Morning Benders, changed to a super sugary pop band with hooks galore

That POP ETC album might be the shittiest thing I've heard all year. It sounds like a dollar store grab bag of songs that weren't picked up by legitimately good pop acts. Big Echo was one of my favorite albums of 2010, so that made it even worse.

Anyway, good list otherwise :up:

Yeah, I'll be the first to say Pop Etc. isn't for everyone (and I liked Big Echo a lot more). But I do love me some sugary music that doesn't have much substance sometimes. That album is almost perfect for that. In my opinion.

All the lists submitted so far (five) have been tallied. No album has received more than three selections so far and there have already been 51 selections.

I thought I was ready to make my list, but I have this nagging suspicion that I need to listen to Kendrick Lamar's album first. Gonna get on that today.

I think my top ten are pretty well solidified, but I still have some listening to do and some determinations to make at the 11-15 level.

I think my top ten are pretty well solidified, but I still have some listening to do and some determinations to make at the 11-15 level.
This is basically how I'm feeling right now. I'm willing to take bribes, as I know spots 11-15 in my list are a hot commodity in the music industry.

You know what? I feel pretty good about my list. I'm going with it now.

1. Beach House - Boom (15)
2. Passion Pit - Gossamer (14)
3. Wild Nothing - Nocturne (12)
4. Chromatics - Kill for Love (9)
5. Father John Misty - Fear Fun (9)
6. Jack White - Blunderbuss (8)
7. Shearwater - Animal Joy (7)
8. Tame Impala - Lonerism (7)
9. Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man (7)
10. Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance (4)
11. Twin Shadow - Confess (3)
12. Cat Power - Sun (2)
13. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory (1)
14. Chairlift - Something (1)
15. Japandroids - Celebration Rock (1)

What excites me the most is that 1) It's pretty much just him on his own and 2) His second album has been taken in even better than the first.

What that says to me is that he's likely not going anywhere for a while. And that is awesome. Because he is pretty much my favorite thing to have happened since The Killers, and while some may not take that as high praise, I'm pretty sure if you know me, you know that's the highest I can offer.

I never got that either. Not sure why, I think it got pretty solid reviews. I did buy the Nowhere single though, but didn't care much for that song.

I *think* I own that, but I'm just too sick to go check. It's actually one of the only things I haven't heard by him about 20 times. Only 2 or 3 and it's super excellent.

I actually have a really fond memory of when I first heard it.

It was after I saw them live for the first time. I knew that I loved the band, but it was almost a passing thing. I was still really excited to see them, though. When I did, and I realized how much their music meant to me and how badly I wanted them to become bigger than they were (I was one of the few people in the crowd at P4KFest that seemed to know more than a handful of songs by them), I immediately went home and listened to Gemini for about the 30th time. I needed more, so I listened to the EP. It was while I was listening to the EP that I realized I loved pretty much every note of music they'd released and that they could potentially become one of my favorite bands of all time.

So, there you go. Fond memories of that little set of tunes.

It's more....what's the word I'm looking for...cerebral? Than Nocturne. It relies more on instrumentation and effects than the latter, for sure. "Bored Games", "Drifter", "Confirmation" and "Chinatown" are standouts.

And in last year's thread...

1. Beach House - Bloom

I can listen to this album straight through anytime. Consistently high quality songcraft and production all the way.

2. Tame Impala - Lonerism

Love, love, love the guitar work on this record. Another very consistent album. Even the much maligned opener fits well for me.

3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

Vocal performance of the year. Not technically perfect but raw and passionate.

4. Passion Pit - Gossamer

As others have mentioned on this forum, the Pitchfork article affected my opinion of this record. You can really hear the joy Angelakos gets from making pop music and it makes his mental health problems all the more sad.

5. Grizzly Bear - Shields

A nicely adventurous indie pop album. Not quite as consistent as Veckatamist, but I love that they are expanding thier musical repertoire.

6. Jack White - Blunderbus

Every year needs a good Rock & Roll / Blues Rock album to keep the torch alight. For 2012, this is it.

7. Chromatics - Kill For Love

90 minutes of melancholy yet catchy dream pop. My chill-out album of the year.

8. Shearwater - Animal Joy

A pretty straight forward indie rock album, but one that I've kept listening to over and over all year and never grown tired of.

9. Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance

This album could never have lived up to all the Mikal-hype, but I do really enjoy Pundt's guitar work here.

10. David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant

Love This Giant feels like primarily a David Byrne album much of the time, not that there's anything wrong with that, but Annie defintely has her moments and plays off Byrne well.

11. Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man

Laura by itself is enough to put this album in my top 15. The rest is pretty darn good, too.

12. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Stripped down garage rock at its finest.

13. Father John Misty - Fear Fun

Catchy pop songs with a great sense of humor. The anti-Fleet Foxes.

14. Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It

Hauntingly beautiful and sad from start to finish.

15. Grimes - Visions

Synth pop / indie chick album of the year.

Happy now, Cobbler?

Very interested to see how Tatum's career progresses.

Step Up - 2006

Channing_Tatum%20-%201%20-%20Step_Up.jpg

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - 2009

imgchanning%20tatum1.jpg

Dear John - 2010

channing-tatum-dear-john-2.jpg

21 Jump Street - 2012

channing-tatum-21-jump-street.jpg

Magic Mike - 2012

channing-tatum-shirtless-magic-mike.jpg

2013 and beyond - ????????

Back