B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #286
She's the One

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
do you guys know any indie/alt rock bands with shreddy guitars?
Purling Hiss (NOT the last two albums)

/pimping

Old 12-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #287
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:09 AM
thanx people, i will start from mastodon and purling hiss

Old 12-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 AM
I'd like to take iYup's superlative "Album Most in Need of an Editor" and expand it to "Artist Most in Need of an Editor" so that I can give it to Kurt Vile. The guy is an interesting lyricist and a damn good guitar player who hops onto interesting chord progressions ... before proceeding to play them for way too long of a time. Everything NSW used to say about LCD Soundsystem (incorrectly) is appropriate when breaking down nearly any Kurt Vile song.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Kurt Vile is great background music. That probably sounds like an insult, but I don't mean it that way; his guitar playing is just really pleasant, for lack of a better term.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Man, it came out soooooo early in the year that I completely forgot to add The Decemberists' album to my list. It would have been in my top 15 for sure. Damn. Good album. Just a really consistent, smart, and enjoyable band with a strong lead performer.

I think Meloy has only improved as a lead singer over time.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #291
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:09 PM
OK I totally should have got around to the Mgla album sooner. It's not going to make my top fifteen, but damn this is some quality black metal.

Yes, this is how I spend the evening of Christmas Day. tr00 kvlt, etc.

Edit: holy shit, the start of VI is the most blatant ripoff of the intro of "Deep" by Anathema.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #292
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Man, it came out soooooo early in the year that I completely forgot to add The Decemberists' album to my list. It would have been in my top 15 for sure. Damn. Good album. Just a really consistent, smart, and enjoyable band with a strong lead performer.

I think Meloy has only improved as a lead singer over time.

I agree, it's an enjoyable record. Philomena is a pretty good song, I almost had it in my top-15.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #293
45:33

Eh, that was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I loved The King is Dead. Breezy but still delivered on the things I like most about their sound. The new one - aside from Make You Better, which is fantastic - is a massive drag. Modest Mouse's new one wasn't a great deal better. Neither were ~bad~, per se, just a bit ordinary.

On FJM, I see where LM is coming from. I'd have sided with Peef in the past re: Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt but then I watched that Over/Under that he did with his wife on Pitchfork and he didn't let her get a single word in. I still like the dude an awful lot, he's funny as hell, but I have the same problem with Honeybear as I did with Fear Fun - about a quarter of the songs are fucking awesome, another quarter is great, another quarter is boring songs that are just saved by funny lyrics and the other quarter being just plain boring. That's an oversimplification but I'm surprised to see so much love for a song like Strange Encounter, that's a huge yawn.
I'd like to see people post their FJM Rushmores, actually, then we might get an idea of how different we all are on him: True Affection / Hollywood Forever / Sally Hatchet / Ideal Husband, with a big apology to Smiling and Astride Me.

iYup - thanks again for sharing the paragraphs, I enjoy those a lot more than just seeing lists. Really must make the time to give Summertime 06 a good listen.

Kurt Vile - I only have the last two albums. Wakin on a Pretty Daze was in my top five of that year I'm sure and I still listen to it quite regularly. I was very excited for the new one and was quite disappointed in how boring it was. I didn't like the "needs an edit" criticisms for Pretty Daze because I really felt it earned its hour-plus runtime, the long songs like the title track, Too Hard and Goldtone were my three fav songs from the album. The new one definitely needed an edit. Several songs, particularly in the back half, that just ambled on needlessly, and weren't really pretty enough imo to justify it.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #294

Also re iYup's list: 10000000% agreed on Poison Season, I love it. Not a touch on Kaputt imo but it will be top 10 for me. No idea where you're getting the idea Bangkok could be a Tom Waits song though...?

And Vega INTL will absolutely be on my list. That album is a fucking banger and should be getting a lot more love everywhere. Easily my fav Neon Indian release.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Also re iYup's list: 10000000% agreed on Poison Season, I love it. Not a touch on Kaputt imo but it will be top 10 for me. No idea where you're getting the idea Bangkok could be a Tom Waits song though...?
Something about the lyrics and the lounge-style piano at the center remind me of albums like Blue Valentine and Foreign Affairs. That's a bit before he went into full-on debauchery mode on Small Change.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #296

I figured that would be the era you'd pick due to the piano, but geez I think that's a huge stretch Surely the first time Destroyer has been compared with Tom Waits.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #297
Refugee

Finally got my list done. First the number count for the thread, then my write-ups.

1. Courtney Barnett: Sometimes I Just Sit And Think and Sometimes I Just Sit (15)

What an incredible album. It's rare that an artist's debut is so fully realized. Every song here had something that grabbed my attention, whether it was a turn of phrase, Barnett's shredding or just melodies that get trapped in your head. Some of my favorite lyricists of recent years have been those who use their wit to get to the core of a character. Gareth Campesinos is a master at this, but Barnett does it to humorous and devastating effect in equal measure. Everyone talks about the storytelling in Depreston, which is incredible, but she seems to put the same effort into the quick numbers like Aqua Profunda! I haven't listened to any other album more this year.
Favorite Songs: Pedestrian at Best, Depreston, Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go To The Party
Best Moments: That line about Sim City in Elevator Operator, the guitar solo in Kim's Caravan, that swirling guitar noise that kicks off Dead Fox

2. Florence and the Machine: How Big How Blue How Beautiful (15)

After Ceremonials, I was left disappointed with Florence. That album lost much of the attitude and variety I got when listening to Lungs. But I think HBHBHB is her best album yet. I love how much What Kind of Man rocks, the R.E.M. jangle in Ship to Wreck and the groove of Delilah. Plus, while Florence still shows off her pipes, I like that she draws back for subtle, restrained performances on a few tracks like St. Jude as well.
Favorite Songs: What Kind of Man, How Big How Blue How Beautiful
Best Moments: The glorious horn-driven ending to the title track, the strings on Queen of Peace, the chorus of Mother

3. Sleater-Kinney: No Cities To Love (12)

While I've enjoyed some Sleater-Kinney in the past, No Cities To Love really got me into them. This may be the best band reunion album ever released. I know Sleater-Kinney said it was a hiatus in 2005, but it really felt like a split in the intervening years. This is an explosive comeback, tightly wound into 10 furious songs. I can't think of one filler track on this record and it's quickly risen in my ranking for the band's discography.
Favorite Songs: Bury Our Friends, A New Wave
Best Moments: The way the opening riff of Price Tag weaves its way throughout the whole track, the harmonies on the title track, the grungy guitar riff that kicks off No Anthems

4. Steven Wilson: Hand. Cannot. Erase. (10)

This is Steven Wilson's best release since Insurgentes. This album does what Wilson does best, by combining his various influences and interests into songs that range from prog-epics to pop-rock songs. Even though this is a concept album, the themes aren't heavy-handed in the lyrics, instead relying on relatable lyrics and memorable segments, such as those found on the lovely title track. There's hardly any guitar noodling or flute interludes on this record and the only song that veers close to The Raven, Ancestral, is better than nearly everything on that previous effort. I hope next year's EP gives us something similar and Wilson keeps his gift for melody at the forefront of his work from now on.
Favorite Songs: Hand Cannot Erase, Home Invasion
Best Moments: The funky 70s keyboard in 3 Years Older and Regret #9, Ninet Tayeb's vocal take on Routine, the echoing guitar pattern that closes Happy Returns

5. Grimes: Art Angels (10)

While I enjoyed Visions, I thought it had a few good songs and a lot of alright filler tunes. I was expecting something similar from Grimes this year, but I was blown away by the quality of this album. Besides the poor inclusion of Scream (a universal opinion it seems), every other song offers something to enjoy, with a few out-and-out classics. The run from Flesh Without Blood through Artangels is utterly fantastic. It really feels like Grimes came out with both arms swinging after all the bullshit she dealt with over the last couple of years. She's somehow made an album that's stranger and more accessible than her previous work. Either way, it's definitely her best release so far.
Favorite Songs: Flesh Without Blood, Kill v Maim
Best Moments: The growl in Kill v Maim, the violin in Venus Fly that's reminiscent of Legend of Zelda, everything about REALiTi

6. The Decemberists: What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World (7)

I'm not a huge Decemberists fan. I often feel their cleverness can too often slide into pretentiousness, with obtuse characters and needlessly complex vocabulary. I liked The Hazards of Love, but I think the simplicity of this year's release makes it a true standout. While Colin Meloy's lyrical tendencies are still here, they seems to be closer tied to real emotions than any work they've done before. I can empathize and identify with what he's saying for the first time. Combine that with some of the most melodic work the band's ever done and you have a winner.
Favorite Songs: Cavalry Captain, Make You Better
Best Moments: The slow build-up of The Singer Addresses His Audience, the Irish tavern vibe of Better Not Wake The Baby, the back-and-forth vocals in Anti-Summersong

7. Torres: Sprinter (7)

Over the course of the beautifully raw, wrenching Sprinter, Torres screams her lungs out on Strange Hellos, smirks her way through Cowboy Guilt and embraces denial on Ferris Wheel. All three of these emotions fit her incredibly well. This is a dark, but captivating album.When my dad and I saw her opening for Garbage, he said she has a Neil Young vibe. I didn't see it at first, but that raw, emotional nakedness, combined with her guitar skills makes it a pretty apt comparison.
Favorite Songs: Strange Hellos, Sprinter
Best Moments: Torres' shredded screams at the end of Strange Hellos, the harrowing vocals that build on each other during Son You Are No Island

8. Lady Lamb the Beekeeper: After (5)

Like her debut, Ripely Pine, Lady Lamb's gift for melody, her odd and sticky lyrics and her conversational voice are intriguing throughout nearly every song. Her homemade, casual approach, combined with her off-kilter way with words and melodies, make her one of the most original voices to come out of this decade. After isn’t perfect, but it’s certainly an album that sounds as strong and mysterious the first time and 10th time you listen to it.
Favorite Songs: Billions of Eyes, Milk Duds
Best Moments: Vena Cava's switch-up from solo to full band and back, the way Violet Clementine combines a bluegrass guitar with the bass' dancefloor groove

9. Laura Marling: Short Movie (5)

Short Movie is an expressive, impressive addition to Marling's body of work. I love the mixture of electric and acoustic guitars and how she uses both to full effect on this album. You have the electrifying False Hope, the door slam of Don't Let Me Bring You Down and the dusty Howl. She's as brilliant as ever.
Favorite Songs: False Hope, Strange
Best Moments: The verse about Hurricane Sandy on False Hope, the guitar picking on I Feel Your Love

10. Wolf Alice: My Love is Cool (4)

I love how Wolf Alice can effortlessly switch up their style from one track to the next. Going from the serene Turn to Dust to the highway rock of Bros to the heavy reverb-laden riffs of Your Loves Whore shouldn't work at all. But Wolf Alice expresses such grace and confidence that it does. Best band debut of the year.
Favorite Songs: Moaning Lisa Smile, Fluffy

11. Foals: What Went Down (4)
12. SOAK: Before We Forgot How To Dream (3)
13. Silversun Pickups: Better Nature (2)
14. Wax Idols: American Tragic (1)
15. Chelsea Wolfe: Abyss (1)

Honorable Mentions

Blur: The Magic Whip
Guy Garvey: Courting The Squall
Marriages: Salome
Julien Baker: Sprained Ankle
Idgy Dean: Ominous Harminus
Baroness: Purple
Braids: Deep in the Iris

Best EP of the Year: Olga Bell's Incitation
Biggest Disappointment of the Year: Metric's synthpop album
Worst album of the Year: Tie between Muse and Coldplay
Most anticipated of 2016: PJ Harvey
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

1. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear (15 points)
Certain lyricists make me want to become a singer/songwriter whenever I am listening to them, and Josh Tillman is one of them. He's a revelation as a frontman in concert, but he manages to put forth a lot of the drama, humorous or otherwise, through his songs on the album. Father John Misty is not a persona as much as it is just an excuse for him to be honest with himself about his inconsistent feelings about both the world and himself. At times he's full of himself, at times self-effacing, at times terrified that it's all destined to go to shit. Few lyricists are better at describing those anxieties in such a coherent and funny way.

2. Grimes - Art Angels (14 points)
I think this would be my number one album of the year if it was not for the awful "Scream." Everything after that is nearly perfect, and I was blown away because I was not really a fan of Oblivion. Her new direction puts her firmly in my alley of music. Everyone's had praise for "Flesh without Blood," "Kill V Maim," the title track, and "Realiti," but other songs like "Easily," "Pin," and "Butterfly" are just as strong. It's just an excellent record and one that I feel I will keep coming back to.

3. Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars (11 points)
Like its sister album, this one has a stronger second half than first half. That said, "All Your Yeahs" and "One Thing" are incredible songs, the latter possibly on the Mount Rushmore of great Beach House tracks. The lyrical content and slightly larger diversity of sounds on this album pushes it ahead of Depression Cherry, but both albums are great additions to the band's discography.

4. Tame Impala - Currents (10 points)
For a band that could easily get jam-bandy, their sound continues to be tight and pushes the songs forward at just the right pace. Probably a more consistent album than "Lonerism," which is impressive.

5. Chvrches - Every Open Eye (9 points)
It's a more consistent effort than their debut, and "Never Ending Circles" and "Playing Dead" are highs that come damn close to reaching those found on the first album. The songs also translate very well in the live setting.

6. Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool (9 points)
This is one I didn't get to until very late in the year, but I'm glad I did, because it's terrific. There are so many rock bands, both today and over the past decade, that have tried to nail the sound Wolf Alice does here. That means that at the end of the day it just matters who has the strongest songs, and Wolf Alice has put together some great ones on here. "Freazy" in particular is a melody that has been sticking with me recently.

7. Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle (7 points)
This sounds like an album I would hate: a sparse record with almost no percussion and little more than a guitar, written by a woman younger than I am. It would imply But the songwriting is strong and the vocals and lyrics are just incredible. The pain here is real and relatable, whether it's pain you yourself have experienced or pain you've witnessed in those close to you.

8. Beach House - Depression Cherry (6 points)
Maybe a little more consistent than Thank Your Lucky Stars but without the highs. Still, "PPP" is an all-time great Beach House track, and "Levitation" is an excellent opener.

9. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (6 points)
A very personal album, one that's had a lot written about it. "Fourth of July" is just not the type of track you hear on many albums.

10. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly (5 points)
Another one that has been written about ad nauseum. It's a personal album, but so many of his experiences speak for his generation that it's an inevitably political one as well, and it's great to see that a hip hop album this strong is getting celebrated the way it is.

11. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness (2 points)
Just a beautiful album, the first of hers that I have listened to. "Betsy on the Roof" in particular stands out to me. She also branches out into really cool experiments like the jazzy "Vasquez." Another one where I'm intrigued into digging into the back catalogue.

12. EL VY - Return to the Moon (2 points)
It seems throwaway at first listen, especially because the production at times is too polished, but there are some great songs here. The first half of the album in particular is one of the best stretches of the year, in particular the stretch from "I'm the Man to Be" to "Need a Friend."

13. Purity Ring - Another Eternity (2 points)
I've become a fan of music that combines elements of electronic and pop music, as you can probably gather from my list. And this album has strong songs that combine both.

14. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit (1 point)
Her delivery reminds of Gareth Campesinos, which suits the lyrical content. It's a good debut and has me interested in what comes next.

15. Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp (1 point)
One of those albums that probably would have been relegated to the honorable mentions had I not gotten the opportunity to see her perform them live. I had not heard any previous Waxahatchee records before this, but now I'm inclined to dig back through the discography thanks to this one.

Honorable Mentions
Destroyer - Poison Season

It was always going to be hard to match Kaputt, and he didn't do it, but it's still a solid album even if it doesn't have the absolutely terrific songs its predecessor did.

Speedy Ortiz - Foil Deer
I was unfortunately unable to see them live in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. Had I seen the songs live it might have opened the album up more for me and seen it get ranked here.

My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall
I think I would have a really difficult time telling their different albums apart. But they're always solid.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
Surprised me because I only knew her previous big hit and nothing else. Good pop album.

Kurt Vile - B'lieve I'm Goin' Down
There's a good album here if Vile just hired an editor. It's long where it doesn't need to be. His songwriting would shine more if he cut the redundancies.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #299
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
1. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear (15 points)
Certain lyricists make me want to become a singer/songwriter whenever I am listening to them, and Josh Tillman is one of them. He's a revelation as a frontman in concert, but he manages to put forth a lot of the drama, humorous or otherwise, through his songs on the album. Father John Misty is not a persona as much as it is just an excuse for him to be honest with himself about his inconsistent feelings about both the world and himself. At times he's full of himself, at times self-effacing, at times terrified that it's all destined to go to shit. Few lyricists are better at describing those anxieties in such a coherent and funny way.

YAAASSSSS KWEEEEN

Glad we're in agreement here.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

PFan interesting that we ranked the two Beach House albums in a similar manner but for different reasons.

Tags
2015, album of the year, albums, friggin cobbler, lists, math, music, peef can count