B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:44 PM
LM, I might have to look into that Susanne Sundfør album based on a few tracks I heard from it today.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #137
She's the One

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
A lot of the popular or darling artists that released records this year didn't interest me. Is it wrong to want to give points to records I really like without listening to a ton of records I didn't have interest in to maybe find a few albums I'd give a 1 to? Probably the only record I haven't heard this year that might be higher on my list is the Deerhunter record, but I'm getting that for Christmas and I hate getting records for Christmas that I've already listened to. Takes the fun out of it. If I'm happy with my list, and don't care if it's prorated, and 8 of the 9 records I listed aren't on anyone else's list, I don't know why it's such a big deal?
This is me pretty much, except the Deerhunter part.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #138
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
A lot of the popular or darling artists that released records this year didn't interest me. Is it wrong to want to give points to records I really like without listening to a ton of records I didn't have interest in to maybe find a few albums I'd give a 1 to? Probably the only record I haven't heard this year that might be higher on my list is the Deerhunter record, but I'm getting that for Christmas and I hate getting records for Christmas that I've already listened to. Takes the fun out of it. If I'm happy with my list, and don't care if it's prorated, and 8 of the 9 records I listed aren't on anyone else's list, I don't know why it's such a big deal?
, it's fine to post a list, but if you didn't listen to enough albums to qualify for a full entry, IMO, you don't qualify for a full entry.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

I must ask the tourist, what the hell have you been doing all year? If you were out socializing or being active, shame on you!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Also, you have 10 days to listen to 6 more albums. Stat!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2015, 11:20 PM   #141
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:44 PM
My thoughts on the "controversial" lists and the broader discussion surrounding them: first, I don't think it's that big a deal and people should allocate points however they like within the rules; second, I'm surprised somebody so into music would listen to so few new albums but there's nothing wrong with emphasising quality of experience over discovering quantity; third, lulz at any strategic voting.

I just made a draft list with 43 albums and EPs (obviously I won't count any EPs for this thread) that I really loved. I know my lists trend a bit obscure or at least take some different paths to most other B&C lists, but damn I think only four of my current top fifteen have received votes so far. I don't think I can really be bothered voting strategically though; sure I want Beach House, Metz, God Is an Astronaut, Health, Deafheaven, etc., but they're below 25th so I'd be kidding myself to bump them to the top fifteen.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't think it's a big deal either. But I still do feel that if you didn't listen to 15 albums, you shouldn't be participating in the vote tallying. That's all.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Moot since I would never try to vote in this thread, but I don't see how being really into music automatically should equate with massive quantity of artists. Even when I was twenty or twenty one, I don't think I ever bought more than 18 or 20 new albums from any given year. And most of them didn't stand the test of time in any way.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I must ask the tourist, what the hell have you been doing all year? If you were out socializing or being active, shame on you!
Mostly recording an album and an EP with my band, working (I believe the last time I checked was 428 hours of) overtime, taking care of things at the home that I am now an owner of, spending way too much time driving places and listening to sports talk radio, listening to almost every single Mariners game on the radio (don't have television), going to every one of the football games of the high school I graduated from to see my cousin play (they took 3rd in the state and their QB just won Gatorade Player of the Year as the #1 rated high school quarterback in the nation), playing a shit ton of guitar and writing and demoing about 30 sketches for my band's next record, spending time in the hospital and at physical therapy for my back (the count was 3 bulging discs, 2 strained muscles, and spinal stenosis all hitting at once hard right before...), the birth of my daughter and everything that that entails.

But if that disqualifies me, whatever. I guess next year I will listen to one more album and give the ones I wouldn't have given any points to just 1. The legalism and disqualifications of something that is supposed to be fun is just overbearing and I just think that's a lame reason to discount music I liked. But whatever. This is just an internet forum with literally not one person I know.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Moot since I would never try to vote in this thread, but I don't see how being really into music automatically should equate with massive quantity of artists. Even when I was twenty or twenty one, I don't think I ever bought more than 18 or 20 new albums from any given year. And most of them didn't stand the test of time in any way.
I think the idea is that either everyone has a streaming service, downloads tons of music, or spends a ridiculous amount of money on albums. Heck, before I stopped illegally downloading things, I don't know that I listened to more than 30 new albums in a year, because I love repeat listens and listen to music from other years as well (sometimes I'll go an entire month listening to nothing but The Beatles, or a rotation of Zeppelin, Simon and Garfunkel and CCR). Sometimes when I really dig a record I'll listen to it on repeat for a couple days. That happened with Mute Math and Tame Impala.

Earlier in the year I went through three months of a rotation of a couple older records I discovered and loved (When The Night by St. Lucia, Be Impressive by The Griswolds, We Are The 21st... by Foxygen, Soft Will by Smith Western, Sun Structures by Temples, Before the Waves by Magic Man, Alix by Generationals, Loma Vista by Family of the Year, Talking Is Hard by Walk the Moon) along with just a couple from this year (Strange Trails by Lord Huron, Lovetap! by Smallpools, Glitterbug by The Wombats, Use Your Time Wisely by Strange Names, and 1st Bath by Avid Dancer).
Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've pretty much always had a limited number of artists on frequent rotation at any given time. This year it's been a lot of older (ie. late seventies/early eighties) records. A few years back it was almost wall-to-wall The National and Wilco. On the whole, I'm probably doing better, variety-wise, than I was around 2012 or so.

Now, I don't have a streaming service, nor do I buy any records (almost never; it would have to be in my All Time Desert Island Top Ten to warrant being a CD on my shelf). Mostly, I just have a look on Youtube (already knowing, for the most part, what I'm looking for). I can foresee someone maybe wanting to jump down my throat when I say that, so let me add that my internet bill is my entertainment budget. There's no pot of money that struggling bands would have ever gotten out of this black duck.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #147
The Male

If you don't have 15 albums you feel like assigning points to, post an unranked list instead. You can't participate in the competitive aspect of this thread, but the discovery involved in reading the lists and discussing them is ultimately more important anyway.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #148
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
LM, I might have to look into that Susanne Sundfør album based on a few tracks I heard from it today.
It's got some strong and Bjork and Kate Bush influence, but it swings for the fences as far as pop appeal goes. There are some huge choruses on that album. Listen to it.

Now.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #149
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:44 AM
1. Joanna Newsom - Divers (15)
2. Kamasi Washington - The Epic (13)
3. Daniel Romano - If I've only one time asking (13)
4. Deafheaven - New Bermuda (13)
5. Floating Points - Elaenia (12)
6. AFX - Orphaned Deejay Selek 2006 - 2008 (9)
7. Hey Colossus - Radio Static High (7)
8. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Freedom Tower: No Wave Dance Party 2015 (5)
9. Björk - Vulnicura (3)
10. The Icarus Line - All Things Under Heaven (3)
11. Joe Jackson - Fast Forward (2)
12. Belle & Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance (2)
13. µ-Ziq - XTLP (1)
14. Sam Lee - The Fade in Time (1)
15. Kylesa - Exhausting Fire (1)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #150
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
5. Floating Points - Elaenia (12)
Song of the year candidate right here:

Tags
2015, album of the year, albums, friggin cobbler, lists, math, music, peef can count