Adele - 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adele's cover of Fat by Weird Al Yankovic will be the greatest-selling single of all time

My opinion of Adele is that she produces simple music for simple people. While I acknowledge that comes across as condescending, I don't necessarily mean it to be. It is clearly very successful for her.

Not to my tastes, however.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

A worthy succesor of 21, even if the producers insist on that big "21" balladery. When we were young should have been the lead single. Much better than Hello.

The second half starting with River Lea is the better one. Early favourites Million years ago, All I ask and Remedy. Less sometimes is more, and it pays off in spades. Another stand out is Send my love to your new lover.

Apparently it's on track to smash week 1 sales's record.

Casual misogyny/fat shaming is hilarious! :cute:

:|

Yeah, and BigMac had labelled his earlier Rolling in the Deep theory as nonsense. His latest Adele sales theory really baffles the mind.

Then, of course, the Weird Al Fat reference is simply an insult that a 5th grader from 1989 would have used.

I've listened to 25 twice already. I wish there were some more uptempo tracks, but the ballads really showcase her voice well.

I was being facetious in reference to an obviously bad post you guys :eyebrow:

I was really skeptical of "Hello" for the first minute or so, but that chorus is undeniable.

It's just a theory as to why Adele's popularity is basically inexplicable and beyond anything we've seen in the era of recorded music. To sell three million copies of your new album in one week in the United States alone when about two albums a year even sell that many worldwide anymore means there's some factors that make Adele a big draw for a lot of people. I'm just arguing that the lack of role models for plus-sized women (of which half the population of the US alone are overweight) could help be a big part of her success.

Again, Susan Boyle. No hits, just a gimmick and sells a boatload of copies of her debut album. Clearly plenty of people were proud to buy a record with someone they identified with that didn't fit the usual physical mold for female singers.

If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that? Come on. Women make up the bulk of pop music buyers and I get the feeling that a girl who is fifty pounds overweight is probably turned off by a lot of singers because she can't identify with their standards of beauty...

Last edited:
332237d1423251659t-really-brah-2011269.jpg

If Ariana made music that appealed to nearly every demographic on the planet, she'd do infinitely superior numbers. If Adele lost 50 pounds, she wouldn't have sold 50% less.

The only thing I agree with BigMac on is this:

As for the "production" side of things...of course an album like this is going to be way too slick but I'm sure it's also in that ear bleeding Loudness War territory where everything is amplified to the hilt in order to make this songs scream out "buy me damn it!" when they're played on the radio. That's the major labels for you.

There are like a dozen different people behind the boards for this album and while it all ends up sounding like Adele music in the end, there's no personality to the instrumental backing either.

Last edited:
It's just a theory as to why Adele's popularity is basically inexplicable and beyond anything we've seen in the era of recorded music. To sell three million copies of your new album in one week in the United States alone when about two albums a year even sell that many worldwide anymore means there's some factors that make Adele a big draw for a lot of people. I'm just arguing that the lack of role models for plus-sized women (of which half the population of the US alone are overweight) could help be a big part of her success.

Again, Susan Boyle. No hits, just a gimmick and sells a boatload of copies of her debut album. Clearly plenty of people were proud to buy a record with someone they identified with that didn't fit the usual physical mold for female singers.

If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that? Come on. Women make up the bulk of pop music buyers and I get the feeling that a girl who is fifty pounds overweight is probably turned off by a lot of singers because she can't identify with their standards of beauty...

You should go back to letting Pitchfork think for you, it's much less misogynistic and vile than your own formed opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, a few of us have responded with sarcasm, but after a while who gives a shit?

So far, the songs that stand out for me on 25 are:

Hello
When We Were Young
Water Under the Bridge
River Lea

So you're... doubling down on the sexist fat shaming?

Aren't you a charmer.

If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that?

Uh yeah, I think she would have easily. Do you honestly think that her looks sell more albums than her voice?

Women make up the bulk of pop music buyers and I get the feeling that a girl who is fifty pounds overweight is probably turned off by a lot of singers because she can't identify with their standards of beauty...

I'm sure the women of the world are just so relieved that there's a guy out there willing to mansplain their music purchasing motives for them.

Water Under the Bridge has turned into my favorite. She performed it on Fallon last night and it was great.

Yeah, I checked it out on youtube. Good stuff. I prefer her uptempo numbers, but the ballads are good too. I've listened to 25 about 4 times so far and I'm digging it more and more. Although, I'm hoping that the next album she releases (in 3 or 4 years) has a fuller sound coming from the band.

Back
Top Bottom