2013 Albums Most Anticipated/Most Dreaded - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
One thing I don't understand about your post is the part about all the undiscovered new music being connected to you U2 excitement level. I fail to see what one thing has to do with the other. I try to listen to as much new music as possible, and like you, use this forum as a vehicle for that....but, how or why would listening to new music impact my looking forward to an album release from U2, since it happens once every 4 years o so? That makes no sense to me. The rest of your post does, for the little (nothing) that will be worth to you.
It has to do with the fact that, at the time All That You Can't Leave Behind and even The Bomb were coming out, U2 was one of maybe three bands I was looking forward to in terms of new music. So it was a big thing. And I think a lot of people on the EYKIW forum are still like that, which is why they are so desperate in seeing hidden messages about new music in e-mails that couldn't state more clearly that there will be no new music announcement.

Nowadays, listening to lots and lots of bands, there is simply way more new music to look forward too and I don't get excited by the prospect of new U2 music. It's not a big thing anymore as it once was. And the quality of their recent output tells me there is nothing to look forward to in the future. But that's OK since I've found not one or two "replacements", but about a hundred in the last eight years or so.

I hope it seems clearer now.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:43 AM
I appreciate the reply.

I guess I understand fully but do not relate. As far as current listening goes, U2 have fallen waaaaaaaaay down my list, so, the've been "replaced" in that sense. But I will still get geared up when (if) a new album comes out....but I won't live and die with it.

But, yeah, I understand you. Thanks again for explaining.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thanks for listening (reading).

It just seems to be a destructive feeling to be so attached to one band that you have to constantly replay the old music by that same band while desperately waiting for a new beach clip, when there's an incredible, infinite amount of fantastic music out there. I sincerely believe that this would be the cure for many of the EYKIW people, as unfortunately condescending as this may sound.

Oh, in the end I certainly wouldn't say that I like the band less - I still love the U2 of the 80s and 90s and some selected work from the 00s just as I did in the past. I had just grown to be much more cynical of them and what they have to offer in the future. But I do believe that's not just me, since literally everybody I know has been very much annoyed by them for numerous reasons since the time All That You Can't Leave Behind came out.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post

It just seems to be a destructive feeling to be so attached to one band that you have to constantly replay the old music by that same band while desperately waiting for a new beach clip, when there's an incredible, infinite amount of fantastic music out there. I sincerely believe that this would be the cure for many of the EYKIW people, as unfortunately condescending as this may sound.
Couldn't agree more with this post. Even at the heights of my U2 fandom (obsession?) I always loved many other bands. I love music more than I love U2's music, if that makes sense, and that will always be the case. I cannot imagine liking just one author, or one film director, so that applies here as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #110
The Fly

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Yeah, that's my take on the "dread" over it. (Although I'm more optimistic.)

And the "hipster" label is bullshit. Sorry.

*assuming that by "hipster" she meant the musical interpretation of the label .... if she meant it some other way, then I have no idea what "hipster" is supposed to imply here, and I'd still call it bullshit.
Well, I suppose this is what I get for quickly firing off a post while sitting at the food court at the mall in the middle of an epic Christmas shopping trip. Still, I don't appreciate anything I write being called bullshit. How rude.

The hipsters I see and hang out with have a tendency to dislike things that are overly popular or things that many people are excited about, even though they liked that very thing at one time. Yeah, we all like (or liked) one of the world's biggest bands, so that doesn't count. But there is most certainly a backlash in B&C against the people in EYKIW and the rest of the forum, as evidenced by this very thread. "Those people" like U2 too much. Some of that backlash may be deserved, but there does seem to be a trend lately of people here going overboard in their criticism of the band. Using the word "dread" to describe your emotions toward a new U2 album is a bit over the top (and even inaccurate and overly emotional, as others have written here). It's even more over the top to do so on a U2 board.

I do understand that many people came to interference for U2 and stayed in B&C for the other music long after U2's charms wore off for them. That's fine. But to say you're dreading their new album, on a U2 forum, is a bit ironic (another thing hipsters are known for) and seems to be a deliberate effort to distance oneself from the fans who post around the rest of the forum. Bang & Clatter cultivates an atmosphere where it's uncool to love U2 too much, and I think some of the posts about dreading the album both stem from and contribute to that overall attitude.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
I agree with this. Personally, all this "will they/won't they" and general coyness from U2 has made me not really care about their future. I wish that weren't the case, but it is. I seldom reach for U2 anymore, though when I do I remember why I so loved them and in many ways still do love them.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotlandGirl View Post
Still, I don't appreciate anything I write being called bullshit. How rude.
This is all I'm responding to. First: welcome to the internet! You'll need a thicker skin. Second: Cori used the , which is generally considered to be good natured. Don't like it? Tough.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Using the word "dread" to describe your emotions toward a new U2 album is a bit over the top (and even inaccurate and overly emotional, as others have written here). It's even more over the top to do so on a U2 board.
This is what I was getting at.

But yeah, I understand what you guys meant. I just found the word dreading a bit idiotic. I also agree that my excitement won't be as high as it would have been 2-3 years ago.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

I thought I had conveyed that I didn't mean your whole thought was bullshit, just the part where you tossed off the "hipster" label, but obviously that wasn't clear and I'm sorry.

While I can't really disagree with the U2 stuff, we have pretty broad taste as a group overall in this part of the forum, including tons of stuff that is very mainstream and popular. So that's what had my hackles raised.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
I just found the word dreading a bit idiotic.
That's because it is, especially in this context.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Bang & Clatter cultivates an atmosphere where it's uncool to love U2 too much, and I think some of the posts about dreading the album both stem from and contribute to that overall attitude.
I don't really think this is the case at all, and really never has been over the course of the three or four years I have been frequenting this forum. For example, there was a thread in here during the Glastonbury feed of their performance where everyone was gushing for 800 or so posts over how much they loved the band. Something similar happened when they pulled out One Tree Hill towards the end of 360. I can't really think of anyone on here, expect perhaps IWB, who expresses no fondness for U2.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #117
The Male

RobotlandGirl = ironic HeartlandGirl alter fwiw

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Don't like it? Tough.
This seems a bit assholish and unnecessary to me, but, so be it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #119
Blue Meth Addict

I agree with the people who say they are very excited for a new U2 album. I certainly don't like them as much as I did in the '90's, but I've known that for over a decade. It doesn't in any way change that they're my all time favorite band, even if they're nowhere near being my "present" favorite band. If they release an album that has nothing but one or two songs I even like, I'll still be thrilled to hear them. Avoiding the bitching is usually quite simple if you stick to this area of the forum, but unfortunately it seems a bit of that ridiculousness has slipped in here.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #120
45:33

Local Time: 04:43 AM
As much as I say that I'm not really interested in new U2 anymore, I'm sure if an announcement came I'd become a little fanboy again within a heartbeat.