1991 20 years on from a hell of a year in Music: - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:37 AM
The point is that they had to fix the whole fucking thing because he buried the vocals and bass in the mix. I've known about this since the album came out because people were talking about it. And not surprising, if you know Albini. I hate record company suits too, but he's a jackass.

Albini isn't a "producer". He's a reducer, and an engineer. Does it sound more organic? Sure. More aggressive and less accessible? Yeah, but that seems to have been Kurt's design from the outset. If you can't even mix the instruments together correctly how good are you?

I'm not saying Scott Litt deserves more credit for the album (which is I guess where you're going with the Lillywhite analogy), but the band had to shepherd this one themselves.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #47
The Male

I'm not sure what you're taking issue with here. Are you suggesting he had some motivation beyond his artistic leanings for burying the bass and vocals? That's just his sound. It's what you get with him. I fully agree that he acted like a child when it came to altering the record, of course. Holding onto the tapes was really shitty of him.

Feel free to expound on your producer vs. reducer comment, if you care enough to. What's your take on Rick Rubin?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

No, I'm not saying that he had some ulterior motive. I just take issue with your "god bless him" because I think he's overrated and he didn't deliver a finished album that sounded right to the band. "That's just his sound" doesn't excuse anything. The one who should be blessed is Kurt for not wanting to feed the machine again.

Rick Rubin, whatever. I don't want him working with Shuttlecock ever again.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I've never listened to Nevermind in its entirety. I've only heard its singles.
You're missing out. Territorial Pissings is probably the best song on it, and the most reminiscent of their first album (my favourite of theirs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Why is there such a thing about thinking Nirvana sucks and that Nevermind has dated terribly and we were so stupid for liking them at the time right now? Still sounds better than anything Pearl Jam have ever released.
Not to condone this ridiculous "rivalry" between Nirvana and Pearl Jam, but the latter had far, far better produced albums than Nevermind, Ten being a notable exception (sounding very dated indeed, although Brendan O'Brien's recet remix helped things a bit).
Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Territorial Pissings is probably the best song on it

Drain You FTW.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Why is there such a thing about thinking Nirvana sucks and that Nevermind has dated terribly and we were so stupid for liking them at the time right now?
I don't really think there is such a thing.

Who thinks that? I might just be out of the loop, but I don't really know what you're referencing. Where have you seen or heard the idea that Nirvana and Nevermind aren't respected anymore? I'm genuinely curious. I've never really encountered that, other than a vocal minority on this bullshit U2 message board. And of course I'm sure there are others that feel that way. But where are they?

In my experience, if you were to go out and talk to people that are into rock and roll music, most of those people still like Nevermind and think it's a kickass album. Is it maybe just a hipster thing? Like an if you shout... kinda thing. Because I am if you shout...

I don't know, I guess it depends on what perspective you want to take on the whole thing.

I'd say that most people still like and respect Nevermind. I might be wrong.

Also, how are you? Hope you're doing well.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:07 AM
Certainly seen a lot of it online, not just from crazy U2 fans, so I suppose it is a hipster thing to a large extent. I just get the impression they're quite a lot less fashionable than they were even a few years ago, and I'm trying to sound as little like a wanker as possible when I say that. Maybe it's just the effect of growing older myself. Of course, Nirvana are still part of the canon so I still expect them to top bullshit Q and Rolling Stone lists.

Also I am good, I hope you are too.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange

I'll accept some share of the fault for that; they crossed my mind too. If I can mention Ned's Atomic Dustbin, then I suppose I can give the Spin Doctors some love too.

I wasn't the biggest fan, but I can't lie, I felt a twinge of excitement when I heard they were touring, playing "Kryptonite" in its entirety. And then when I saw their tour poster in Portland, ME a few days ago. I'd probably go see them if they came to town. That was an underappreciated album, even if "Two Princes" messes with my musical elitism sensibilities.
I have zero issue admitting that an 11 year old me rocked out to Two Princes.

For the record, I also had to buy a second Cracked Rear View CD cause I wore the first one out.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #54
45:33

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
"Kryptonite"
if i go crazy then will you still call me superman
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie
I'd say there is a substantial contingent of us in B&C who almost exclusively buy physical formats. I am one of them.
iTunes is only for stuff I can only otherwise obtain by long-awaited mail when the Internet-aged part of me that requires instant gratification at 3am wins the fight. Unfortunately, with my local record store situation as dire as it's become in recent years + being a nocturnal third shift beast for several years, this has started to become a frequent occurrence.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase
I am outraged at the lack of inclusion of spin doctors
If I never hear "two princes"again it will be too soon.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
If I never hear "two princes"again it will be too soon.
That song still receives frequent radio play. It baffles me.

As for Nirvana, I think that the most unfortunate musical consequence of their demise is the removal of Grohl from the drummer's chair. The guy was an absolute monster on the drums.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

That's true, but my first reaction upon hearing the first Foo Fighters album (still their best and most diverse) was that Grohl was too talented to simply be playing drums on someone else's songs.

I don't think he fully delivered on that initial promise, but aside from drumming with a reunited Led Zeppelin I'm not sure what else he can do now.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:37 AM

1991 was an awesome year in music. People mentioned a lot of good stuff already. I was a freshman in college when Nirvana and PJ blew up the airwaves and MTV. Not sure if this was mentioned, but For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (F.U.C.K.) by Van Halen was one of my favorite albums of that year. They had a a bunch of hits on that one and I caught them once on that year's tour.

David Lee Roth also released an album in 1991 called A Little Ain't Enough. Saw him that Summer on tour. He sucked. Maybe a little was too much. Lol!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
That song still receives frequent radio play. It baffles me.
yeah, i don't get it at all. i hardly ever listen to the radio, but when i do i always hear that or a gin blossoms song.