People Get Ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiral_Staircase

War Child
I was just listening to the Chambers Brothers' Greatest Hits, which has their version of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready." My first introduction to this song was through U2 bootlegs, and I've enjoyed hearing the way others play it. I had never paid particularly close attention to the original lyrics, but as I was listening today, I realized what an awesome lyrical change Bono makes when he sings this song.

Mayfield's original lyrics (and the way the Chambers Brothers do it) contain the lines:

There ain't no room, for the hopeless sinner
who would hurt all mankind just to save his own.
Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner.
There's no hiding place against the kingdom's throne.

Now I realize Bono sings this song a little different every time they do it, but the version that's stuck in my head has Bono changing those lines so they go like this:

There is still hope, for the hopeless sinner
who would hurt all mankind just to save his own.
God have mercy! I'm a hopeless sinner.
But I know there's a hiding place behind the kingdom throne.

Whew! That is good! That is so good.

Isn't that good?

Just awesome! Bono truly straightens out the theology of the original Mayfield lyrics! It this type of thing that makes Bono?s lyrics special for me.

Many people don't give Bono the credit for knowing his Bible, or theology. They don't take Bono seriously as a student of the Word as well.

I listened to Bono on Oprah the other day, and found myself again drawn to his wisdom on certain subjects, and the Bible is no different for Bono as far as his knowledge about what it says and means.

Thanks again Spiral_Staircase for the insight to the song 'People Get Ready'.

Chris

hippyactress said:

The answer is LOVE. :)

(at least for me ;))

but while i feel love, i don't understand it.

i have faith, but think it may not be strong enough when i come across things like grace and am confused. :huh:

Lilly said:
i have faith, but think it may not be strong enough when i come across things like grace and am confused. :huh:

All you need is a mustard seed...

I think it's human nature to doubt that we are able to do something or understand something. You're not alone Shannon, I often doubt myself... and then there comes a point where I just *know* that I'm being protected and watched over and that I'm not expected to know and understand everything.

(((Shannon)))

This is truly remarkable! Bono and U2 understand grace so much! The last song on ATYCLB is a grace tribute that we are all familiar with. Its such a hopefull existence when you think that God thinks of us that way!!!:wave:

Back
Top Bottom