Do you think U2 fans are more likely to be spiritual/religious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
I have a bit of a problem with terminology here...but let's say, do you think U2 fans are much more likely to be people who believe in a God or higher power than not?

The biggest U2 fan I have known is someone who doesn't believe in God, but that's only one person. I believe in God and my faith is the most important thing in my life, but I wouldn't say that a really big reason I like U2 is because they are (by and large) believers. I know that I would disagree with the members of U2 on an enormous number of things, as far as matters of belief, and though U2's music moves me very deeply, I can't say that I believe God speaks to us in an essential way through music (except indirectly in that he gave us the capacity to create and enjoy music and beauty). I do greatly enjoy the Biblical references and echoes in their music, something I always appreciate in art.

So what do you think about this? Has anyone seen a poll or anything on this subject--the belief or non-belief patterns of U2 fans?

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 01-11-2002).]

I especially think this is so for fans who became fans in the 80s. I dont think it is as true for people who became fans during the 90s...

thats my observation...

and I dont think there is a poll on this anywhere although there are scattered articles and sites throughout the net about U2 and their spirituality/beliefs.

Originally posted by U2LA:
I especially think this is so for fans who became fans in the 80s. I dont think it is as true for people who became fans during the 90s...

I would agree.

well from the responses to this post, and in this forum alone, I'd say yes!
smile.gif

I think U2 is the type of band that those who might be "afraid" of, unsure of, or repelled by "religion" tend to be drawn toward, simply because they are not big Bible thumpers and don't get in peoples' faces about God, Jesus and the Bible. They just live their lives as they do....

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I have a bit of a problem with terminology here...but let's say, do you think U2 fans are much more likely to be people who believe in a God or higher power than not?

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
I'm a Christian but it actually kinda bugs me when they are labelled a "Christian band".

Too many stigmas are attached to the Christian subculture...

of course it also bugs me when Christians tell me U2 have lost their way, or 'used to be good, but then they started worshipping satan'
rolleyes.gif

What do u even mean by subculture Brett?
Christian subculture? Which would be what exactly?
Christian- one who believes in and follows a religion based on the life of Jesus.

A very wide spectrum of types of people fall into this catergory and I'm not sure there's any one particular sub culture.

Personally I love the music and Bono's words speak poetry to me but being a fan of U2 hasn't brought me closer to God, and I was a fan in the 80's.

I'm a Christian but it actually kinda bugs me when they are labelled a "Christian band".

I kind of agree with you - I wouldnt say it bugs me, I'd say it is not accurate. To me a Christian band is a band of all Christians that set out to deliver a Christian message through their music. I dont feel U2 fits that definitition, but then again, thats my definition!

Yeah, thats exactly right Camilo, and that's exactly what bugs me. Also gives the conotation of all CHristian fans who only follow the band because they do spread a Christian messsage.
Despite what many Christian fans believe, I think we'd find that u2 believe in Christ, well 3 of them anyway, but they have all stated at one time or another that they don't like religion and have a problem with many Christians.

What do u even mean by subculture Brett?
Christian subculture? Which would be what exactly?
Christian- one who believes in and follows a religion based on the life of Jesus.

I was mainly referring to the Christian Music industry...eg u go to church and talk about music and are asked 'have u tried any of these christian bands?'...much of christian Contemporary music is not great, severely lacking in imagaination and creativity. Much of it is based in the concept of using modern music for evangelism, which results in alot of bland stuff...thats what i meant about the stigma.

interesting question, I think the fans right now are a pretty good cross-section. It's just good music and anyone can become a fan, though attention to the lyrics might interest some seekers. I also think that because the music has soul, for people who don't have any belief in God, it might fill that spiritual need.

I don't get the sense that they are labeled a "Christian" band, the CCM community being very quick to point out that not all the members are Christian, and they do venture out of the "Christian ghetto" as Stockman puts it where many think they stray from Christianity.

Recently Joshua Tree and October were rated top Christian albums, though, and I saw U2 listed as a rock group on a Christian music site. Still, I think they would categorize them Rock n Roll (that's Christian).

I would have to agree with the people who made comments about U2 being a band that people are drawn to because they are afraid of "organized religion". I myself attended church every Sunday until about February of 2001. Then I felt I had to get out of the church, but I stayed with U2. They fill that "worship and fellowship" factor that I was missing from church. Not that U2 takes the place of the word of God, but they help me to get deeper into the Spirit. But I also know some U2 fans who just enjoy good music...so I think it's split.

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

I was a christian when I first became a U2 fan, and I remained a christian for several years after. I am definitely inspired by the spiritual side of their music. I think it is at the heart of everything they do, but, like so many have said, you don't have to be religious to appreciate their sound or their message.

Yes, there is a certain feeling of "fellowship" at a U2 concert that is reminiscent of worshipping with other believers in a church, but then I'm not sure if someone who has never experienced that would describe one of their concerts that way.

I'm a little up in the air about some of my beliefs right now, but I have a hard time believing there is a god at this point in my life. However, I also think the spirituality in their music is one of the reasons I often refer to U2 as a lifeline and a source of hope when I am discussing them with someone. Their music just rises above somehow, and I do think that has something to do with the faith of the three believers in the band.

------------------
"Fly the friendly skies
through appliance of science.
We've got that ring of confidence."

I think U2 fans are quite a diverse bunch. I wouldn't exactly qualify them as a Christian band, since that's not what they've set out to do...the goal is soul, the spirit, not a set of religious tenets. It's the journey of four guys and their friends and families, and their views of humanity that are reflected in their music and lyrics. I also find a lot of questioning, primarily in the 90s music, still searching for that Spirit and faith.

Just my thoughts, anyways.

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

Back
Top Bottom