a tony compolo vid that talks about Bono/u2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:45 PM
a tony compolo vid that talks about Bono/u2

While surfing the blogspace I came upon an interesting video of Tony Campolo and Mark Lowry discussing Bono, U2 and their chaplain. Apparently, Tony had dinner with Bono before a Philadelphia Vertigo show. The Bono mentioning starts at about 4 or 5 minutes into it.

popsadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Really, He has been at my church quite a few times. I will check it out!

JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Thank you so much for this!! Everything they said was so true, and I love hearing about their interview with Jack Heaslip, and how he's helped the boys.
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That was incredible. So the old man's name is Jack Heaslip? I haven't heard of this. I didn't know they kept in touch with any of those guys, except their original friends before the group.
coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Actually, Jack Heaslip was one of their teachers at Mount Temple who later became an Anglican minister. He married Bono and Ali. I"ve heard a message he preached at a this amazingly dynamic church in Dublin called CORE. If I can find it....I'll post it!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But he goes on tour with them as a spiritual guide?

Fascinating. I've never heard that.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 11:45 AM
He's quite brilliant.
Smallville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
But he goes on tour with them as a spiritual guide?

Fascinating. I've never heard that.
He does. I first heard of it from Beth Maynard a co-author of "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching The U2 Catalogue." I think Bono mentions it in "U2 by U2" also.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I felt shame about the two, Mark Lowry & Tony Campolo.

Beautiful things will sell themselves just like good music, and now they act like Britney Spears striping on the stage in the name of God?

Thank you very much, but you made me sick to my stomach and I just wanted to throw up!

One wrist band is not a fashion accessory, people join and support the organization because they believe in the cause, not only because they liked Bono.

Please stop using him like a bait or some kind of sexy model who just happen to fit your moral rules and put him free of charge, to your advertisement over and over again for your God. Show some respect to this man!
butter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:45 PM
butter.....they were joking. Lowry is a comedian and is simply joking. Bono highly respects Tony from what I've read. Also, It isn't just their God, as this and many many other quotes, songs and glances into Bono's life shows...Bono believes in this God, the God of the Old and New testament, as well.
popsadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by popsadie
butter.....they were joking. Lowry is a comedian and is simply joking. Bono highly respects Tony from what I've read. Also, It isn't just their God, as this and many many other quotes, songs and glances into Bono's life shows...Bono believes in this God, the God of the Old and New testament, as well.
Thank you. I'd rather believe they joking too, because if not...oh well...*sigh*

I think it's just too much now, these things start getting on my nerves. Just watched this:

And then read a story in someone's blog, about an American borned polish gay boy, how his truly faithful catholic parent abused him, abandoned him and all his schoolmate laughed at him.

Now I'm really really terrified.
butter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
Actually, Jack Heaslip was one of their teachers at Mount Temple who later became an Anglican minister. He married Bono and Ali. I"ve heard a message he preached at a this amazingly dynamic church in Dublin called CORE. If I can find it....I'll post it!

He also helped Bono get through the time of his mothers death. So he has known him since he was very young.
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
He does. I first heard of it from Beth Maynard a co-author of "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching The U2 Catalogue." I think Bono mentions it in "U2 by U2" also.
Actually, there is a pretty amazing bootleg out there (I have a copy, but I think it is packed back with all my pre-Peace Corps stuff in Minnesota) of the dress rehearsal before the first Elevation show. After the run-through, Bono tells the crew that Jack is going to come up and ask for God's blessings on the upcoming tour. Heaslip gives a rousing mini-sermon and then prays. It's really cool. Seems to me that we posted about it in this forum waaaay back, so I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Edited to add...I found the transcript! This is something that I typed out myself while listening to that bootleg way back in the day. Enjoy.

Quote:
Next time we hear this music, it struck me there will be people everywhere, which will transform everything. And that a great deal about what I feel this tour is what is gonna happen to the people who come here, who are gonna be touched by this album and who have already been touched by the album and the albums over the years. So, I thought of a Psalm, Psalm 61 which has pretty pretentious words, but then they were used by Jesus himself about himself, so I suppose we could do no better than that really. And it just starts "The spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor." And I felt that what we want God to do tonight is to pour his anointing. Now that's not just a dab on the forehead, that's a rich anointing of his oil. We are told the oil would flow down from the top of your head and in my case into your beard and down your front to make a mess. And that's the richness of God's anointing.

And what I felt that God wanted me to do today was to pour out in his name that anointing on everything to do with this tour: everybody and everything. We think of the band, but we think of every piece of equipment and everyone who works that piece of equipment. Everyone who backs up, everyone who drives a car, everyone who does the catering, everyone who is responsible for technology, every joint of wire, every plug, every socket, every light. So we ask for that anointing to be poured out by the power of his Spirit.

So we simply say, "Come holy Spirit and reign. Pour out your rule and anointing on this tour. Let nothing be an obstacle. Just melt away anything that is not of you, so that your power can flow without interruption. And we claim your blessing and your anointing because we ask it in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

Psalm 116 has a nice response. The question is "how do you respond to the blessing of God." And the answer is "Celebrate! And drink a toast to God." So...to God!

sulawesigirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks Sula!! That is one of the most beautiful things I"ve ever heard. It's no wonder so many people say they feel the presence of God at a U2 show.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That. Is. Incredible.

I can't believe I've never heard of him being their spiritural guy until now. I mean gosh, it's like next you're going to tell me there from Ireland or something.

(just kidding)

Thanks for sharing, sulawesigirl4. that's the coolest thing I've ever come across in these threads.

If anyone knows of a way I could get the audio of this, I'd be very thankful. coemgen17@hotmail.com