40..in church? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:52 AM
40..in church?

Last week the praise band at my school played the song "40" in our chapel. They had practiced for awhile, and after me nagging them (my 3 best friends are in it), they finally played it. I, of course made 'woohoo' type noise at the beginning, when, in my school i see "40" by Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen (they didnt have jr), and Adam Clayton. It was awesome to see that in my Christian school, where they really tighten 'worldly' stuff down. I know the leader, and he loves U2, though not as much as coldplay, and apparently the lead guitarist was bothering them about playing it (i dont like him, but he likes U2 so it was bomb). And I just loved being able to worship with a U2 song during chapel, where many people think U2 is just some mainstream, secular band, etc. (our chapel has 6th-12th graders) so im hoping this well help. The best part, I think was when my two buddies (backup guitar and bass) and the lead guitarist and drummer, played the music for 'beautiful day' and one of my friends who likes U2 was singing it loudly (i myself resisted the urge to go up and sing it myself) and then one of my moron friends was like 'LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!' (he doesnt like U2, he usually starts saying rude sarcastic things about U2 during class which is annoying hes into that moron heavy metal crap) ok...my question is...

What do you think of "40" (and other songs, if you have ideas) being used as a praise and worship song? Have you heard it that way?

nightninja56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Re: 40..in church?

Quote:
Originally posted by nightninja56

What do you think of "40" (and other songs, if you have ideas) being used as a praise and worship song? Have you heard it that way?
I think it's a great idea. I think 40 in paticular is much better than most "contemparary Christian" songs because it's lifted almost straight from the Bible.

doubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Have not heard "40" as part of a church-organized praise gathering. (Wish I have! I'd be singing to the top of my lungs too!).

Also agree that this is way better than most "Contemporary Christian" songs. These words have been used as songs of praise for hundreds and hundreds of years. They are holy words from the Bible -what more can you say? Other than the music to "40" is beautiful!
SunBloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM
I wish my church would do that, I think it is perfect for a worship song
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Perfect for church "40" although I might cry cause its always the end of the concert!

Also Yahweh, I would love to hear that in my church!
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Considering that the original writer of 40 wrote it as a worship song, I think it's a great idea!

Wonder what King David would think of U2's version?
Sue DeNym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
War Child

yeah I played Yahweh during Bible class once (teacher lets me play worship stuff from my iPod whenever I want, so i played yahweh once) it was pretty cool
Old 02-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM
My church doesn't play/sing anything composed after the 1850s, but I've heard it a few times at chapel/worship gatherings at schoo.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't think my church would do that. Alot of the youth leaders are against listening to secular music and I assume that they consider U2 to be secular. I've never asked or even said anything about U2, so I'm not sure. (I don't talk a whole lot at church.) But they might if they've only heard a version of "40" by a Christian band - since there are several - and don't know it's by U2.

Edit: I just remembered that there used to be a poster up in the youth chapel that had a chart listing secular artists and Christian altnernatives that sound similar. U2 was in the secular column. I was ready to say otherwise if anyone brought it up, but they never did.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel D.
I don't think my church would do that. Alot of the youth leaders are against listening to secular music and I assume that they consider U2 to be secular. I've never asked or even said anything about U2, so I'm not sure. (I don't talk a whole lot at church.) But they might if they've only heard a version of "40" by a Christian band - since there are several - and don't know it's by U2.

Edit: I just remembered that there used to be a poster up in the youth chapel that had a chart listing secular artists and Christian altnernatives that sound similar. U2 was in the secular column. I was ready to say otherwise if anyone brought it up, but they never did.
Churches like that scare me.
doubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
War Child

^^yeah my youth group has probably that same poster...my youth music pastor has said his music was inspired by U2 and he talks to me about them

before the services they have played Yahweh and "40" which is awesome all 3 youth pastors like them...uh what else, well im good friends with them and they asked me how U2 was when they came to town, etc...

OH and last week, in conjunction with the message, the band played 'sunday bloody sunday' and they did aight, not close to the real thing (which they played before the service when everyone was mingling) so yeah i thought that was awesome, me and my U2-liking friends were singing..lol

so yeah, i have basically brought U2 to my church and school...bwahahahaha

some people have the wrong prospective of U2, and other see the church as hating anything with a beat

they can live in harmony, and its a sweet harmony
Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 06:52 AM
The bands at Lifechurch.tv regularly play U2 songs.

The most incredible was when they played Pride during the easter service in 2003 while the video screen showed scenes from the Jesus movie. Absolutely amazing!

They have played Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Streets, Pride, All Because of You among others.

Check them out, they have campuses all over the place.
Jara's Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #13
War Child

My memory is a little fuzzy, but at the Christian camp I worked at in the past (I was a C.I.T., but also a camper before that) their praise and worship band played Pride and I *think* 40...lol, its been about 5 years so as I said, memory is a little fuzzy!

Pride was definitely played though.

u2_girlie_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:52 PM
I work for a Christian organization, and we have a chapel time each day.

We all take turns leading, and there's a chapter of the Psalms that is read each time. On my turn, guess what Psalm I got to read?! I read Psalm 40, then played the song. It went over really well, as many of my co-workers love U2, and of course they all know how much I love their music.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Heh. Mebbe I ought to set that as a condition of me having to talk in church. Only if I get to play 40. On guitar.

Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote