IO: I have mono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sami0201

Blue Crack Addict
Yep. Had the blood test done today, and it was positive. :( And I'm going back up to school a week from today!! Figures. I'm not really bad, like I'm not bedridden and exhausted all the time. I just don't feel 100%. My doctor said no laying in the sun or going out at night with my friends. That's all I do at school!!! :lol: She said I can do stuff like go out for meals and to the movies or whatever as long as I don't have fever.

Has anyone had this? Any advice? I know all I can do is relax, but it's killing me! Will I really get a lot worse if I go out 1 or 2 nights a week, or if I lay in the sun? Is having a few drinks and going out really bad when you have mono, even if you feel okay? :help:

I had mono one summer in 1991 and my son had it as a pre teen. It has different stages and phases and everyone's case is different. Do what your doctor advises, but LOTS of rest is really the key to getting over it. If you have fever especially take it easy. Drink lots of fluids and eat a good healthy nutritionally balalnced diet. Don't lay in the sun and don't go out partying at night. There's lots of things you can do at home to keep yourself occupied while taking it easy, and your friends should understand. Ha they don't want to get it too! Watch a lot of TV, movies, read or surf the internet and lots and lots of listening to music and napping. In a couple of weeks you should be back to normal but ease back into your regular schedule. Good luck!

I had mono the summer before I was a sophomore in college. It was miserable. I remember my doctor telling me drinking would be bad b/c mono effects the liver.

As for being in the sun, I was a lifeguard when I got mono. I was working 12 hours a day outdoors. Actually I was at work when my mono test came back positive and they had to send me home. :lol: I think it was the work more than the sun that made me feel so sick.

I had mono the summer before I was a sophomore in college. It was miserable. I remember my doctor telling me drinking would be bad b/c mono effects the liver.

As for being in the sun, I was a lifeguard when I got mono. I was working 12 hours a day outdoors. Actually I was at work when my mono test came back positive and they had to send me home. :lol: I think it was the work more than the sun that made me feel so sick.

That's exactly how old I am!! Omg so I really really can't drink, huh? Now I definitely won't but damn, this blows! I'm such a paranoid person I'll probably be scared to drink for months now :lol: And my birthday is the 27th :angry: She said I should be better in 2-3 weeks if I rest though, so I guess that's not that bad. This sounds dumb but like how will I know when I'm fully better? Because I know my throat will stop hurting in a few days and stuff but I'll still have mono. So I guess I should wait like 2 weeks-ish and if I feel totally better than I am? :huh:

man...I feel for you...mono sucks. :sad:

get a lot of rest, and try not to go outside too much.

good luck and hope you feel better soon! :D

thanks everyone :hug: i'm just trying to stay in bed and basically do nothing until i go up to school in a week, hopefully it will make me a little better

Sami. :hug: I had mono or as we call it over here glandular fever when i was 17. I had it so bad i was off college for 6 weeks. :ohmy: I was in bed for maybe 2 weeks, then i was so exhausted it was all i could do to get out of bed for the next few weeks. :lol:

Like everyone else said no partying or sun. Try to rest as much as you can, staying in bed for the next week might help, good idea. And as Carek said lots of fluids.

Hope you feel better soon. :hug::hug::hug:

thanks everyone :hug: i'm just trying to stay in bed and basically do nothing until i go up to school in a week, hopefully it will make me a little better

Yep you should definitely be feeling better by then, if you stay inside and REST. And happy early Birthday wishes to you! Let's hope you're completely on the mend by then! Take it easy.

:hug: Sorry to hear this Sami....

I had this in 1990...along with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was put onto Homeopathic medicine, and in particular "Glandular Fever Nosodes" (have no idea if it would be called the same there....) it was a powder that I took a dose of, and let it dissolve under my tongue. Within approx 3-4 days I was back on my feet and raring to go! It is amazing stuff. Might be worth investigating if it's something you're open too....sorry I don't have any more info than that on it... :(

I had mono in junior high. It was not fun at all. I didn't realize for at least two weeks I had it until I went to the doctor's dizzy as hell. I had a 103 temp. I had to be out of school for a couple of weeks. I lost alot of weight and ended up being 100 lbs. That would be nice right about now. :hmm: I kid.

:lol: I know it's terrible but one of my thoughts when I found out I had it was hey, maybe I'll at least lose a little weight! Figures that I'm the one person who does not have a suppressed appetite :angry: :wink:

I had it around 10 years ago, and made the mistake of returning to work too soon instead of resting. I think that made the recovery a lot slower - I felt tired for months afterwards.

:hug: Sorry to hear this Sami....

I had this in 1990...along with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was put onto Homeopathic medicine, and in particular "Glandular Fever Nosodes" (have no idea if it would be called the same there....) it was a powder that I took a dose of, and let it dissolve under my tongue. Within approx 3-4 days I was back on my feet and raring to go! It is amazing stuff. Might be worth investigating if it's something you're open too....sorry I don't have any more info than that on it... :(

I wonder if we have that stuff here. I get it recurrently every 2-3 years or so it seems, and think I have it again. I was also told I had chronic fatigue once, but I think it was actually just anaemia, which I doubt I'll ever be free of! You want to be careful you don't keep getting it, as it can come back in the next couple of years, Sami!
:hug:

Back
Top Bottom