IO: Best Thread Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elevated_u2_fan said:

Oy! This is my job!

I see you changed your Avatar... :shifty: Good choice father... :up:

poke.gif
Just trying to prod you in the right direction is all...

The avatar had to be changed at some point...and it was certainly for the better. :shifty:

I am still not sold on this being a great thread, never you mind "Greatest Thread Ever" - eventhough the Star Wars concert totally kicks ass. Still, until I see some real "great" in here, nay, no blessing from me. Prove me wrong, people!

I kid you not. I saw an entire mariachi band WALK DOWN MY STREET at 1:30 in the morning a few weeks ago. And I live in a quiet suburb of Illinois! :ohmy:

the greates thing that could ever happen to this thread is that it would be locked!

UberBeaver said:
I am still not sold on this being a great thread, never you mind "Greatest Thread Ever" - eventhough the Star Wars concert totally kicks ass. Still, until I see some real "great" in here, nay, no blessing from me. Prove me wrong, people!

This comes NO WHERE near greatness...unless it is like opposite day our something.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Oh I realize that...

I was actually refering to the amount of buckles on his guantlet...

Everyone knows there were only 4 instead of 6... duh!

:wink:

Eh eh eh, no so fast. Clearly your lacking a course or two on buckle history. Clearly that image was of Alexanders sucessful campaing against the Persians in 333. If you recall Buckle 201, which clearly you do not, you will remember that in the 330's, six buckle fashion came into vogue for about 5 years. A group of minstrels from Istanbul brought them into fashion when they hit it big with "Say It Loud (I'm a Turk and I'm Proud)". People really dug not just the beat of the tune, but the sentiment. Wearing six buckles apparently showed unity with your culture. Of course, like all fashions, it fell out of favor, though it came back briefly in 301 when a band of roving gipsy's covered "Say It Loud...". I bet if Alexander saw this picture today he'd probably say, "WTF was I thinking. Look at those buckles, ugh, how gaudy. Thank Gods you can't see my hair. lol. Can you say, 'fro? I sure could. Oh man, how embarrasing."

UberBeaver said:

Eh eh eh, no so fast. Clearly your lacking a course or two on buckle history. Clearly that image was of Alexanders sucessful campaing against the Persians in 333. If you recall Buckle 201, which clearly you do not, you will remember that in the 330's, six buckle fashion came into vogue for about 5 years. A group of minstrels from Istanbul brought them into fashion when they hit it big with "Say It Loud (I'm a Turk and I'm Proud)". People really dug not just the beat of the tune, but the sentiment. Wearing six buckles apparently showed unity with your culture. Of course, like all fashions, it fell out of favor, though it came back briefly in 301 when a band of roving gipsy's covered "Say It Loud...". I bet if Alexander saw this picture today he'd probably say, "WTF was I thinking. Look at those buckles, ugh, how gaudy. Thank Gods you can't see my hair. lol. Can you say, 'fro? I sure could. Oh man, how embarrasing."

:love:

I believe you are referring to the "Constantinople Special" 333 that Alexander wore for only the first half of the Persian campaign... Halfway through he switched to the standard 4-buckle model 119-A which is when this painting was done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom