Shakespeare We Appreciate You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I know we have a few Shakespeare fans around here and we've discussed him before but I am interested to know why you like his work, or why you don't.

I adore Shakespeare but I do admit that I prefer the comedies to the tragedies. I still enjoy the tragedies and think plays like Macbeth, othello, and King Lear are brilliant, but I'd much rather go and see Much Ado if I had the choice.
A few years back, The Sydney Theatre Company had productions happening on The Wharf. The company is situated on a wharf and they would open up one of the underneath holding bays, put up a rickety old stage and lay out some old wooden pews for us to sit on.
Now it was on the water and in winter with the doors open. It was hell going to see plays there but it gave you that Elizabethan experience.
Sitting on those wooden benches for 3 hours plus watching Antony and Cleopatra, in the howling wind was pretty hard going. Certainly not like seeing them at The Opera House. They did this great Elizabethan jig at the end and it was the highlight of the show. Very bawdy.

I've seen them done so many different ways. I saw a modern version of a Midsummer at The Opera House once which was great, ive seen the very straight Romeo and Juliet. I find it interesting to see how different directors come up with their version of the plays. I think a lot of the time, Shakespeare was intending his lines to be quite crude but thats not even touched on in the inflections that the actors use.

My favourite would have to be a version of A Midsummer Night's Dream that was put on in our Royal Botannical Gardens here in Sydney. It was brilliant and I saw it 3 times. They had the first scenes before Fairyland by a big pond and we were invited to have a picnic as we watched under the stars. Once it turned into fairyland, we were asked to get up and walk to this other section of the gardens which was situated on a hill overlooking the harbour. It was magical and I dont think I'll ever forget it.

Last year when I was in London, I went to The Globe Theatre but unfortunately didn't get time to see a play there or go on a tour. We arrived just as the plays were starting. If you go early in the morning, you can go inside the theatre and do a tour.
I did however get myself a Globe penny that has a pic of the theatre on it on one side and reads "Admit to My Place One Penny In the Yard" with a pic of Will. Apparently for one penny people could stand in the yard of the theatre, rather than sit, and watch. My other prized possession is a teeny blue book of Shakespeare's Sonnets that my aunt brought me back from Stratford. Inside the cover it has a sticker which says "This book was purchased at Shakespeare's birthplace."

Do u have any particular versions of plays that you love? Do you prefer the comedies or tragedies?
Do you think its a load of tripe?

If we shadows have offended
Think but this, and all is mended
That you have slumbered here
while these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme
no more yielding but a dream
Gentles, do not reprehend
if you pardon
we will mend.
And, as I am an honest Puck
if we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call.
So goodnight unto you all,
Give me your hands, if we be friends
and Robin shall restore amends.

------------------
*I am a cowgirl of funk*

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 04-04-2002).]

I'm uncultured, ive only ever seen Shakespeare movies and plays on tv...but i do love his stuff alot.

My fave films: Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, Branagh's Henry V...

But my fave plays are King Lear and Macbeth, i really enjoyed getting in and reading those.

Midsummer Night's Dream is alright too but there are others i need to see, gawd ive never even seen Hamlet
redface.gif

Shakespeare is that genius that I just don't get and it frustrates me. I'm not crazy about him, I think his writing is an absolutely incredible work of art and he is a great master of writing, but I just don't understand half of what he's saying and I don't have the patience to figure it out.

Of course I've only read A Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and Juliet fully so maybe if I read more I will learn to appreciate him. Hopefully in time I will 'get it'.
frown.gif

and I've never seen any as plays..

'manda, you are SO my new hero. I basically majored in Shakespeare. I studied at Oxford for the summer! I can't say enough about the man's work. He had his highs and his lows like every other author, but still somehow managed to capture the human spirit. His work reflects something about our nature that is easily translated into our lives even in the 21st century. Midsummer is my favorite too- I saw it done at the Royal Shakespeare Co in Stratford. AMAZING. However, I wrote my senior thesis on his "difficult women" in Taming of the Shrew and Much Ado. So those are right up there. Othello used to be my favorite drama, but I recently saw a no sets, no costumes version of Macbeth and was able to really get into the meat of the drama. It's all amazing. I could talk on this for hours, but should probably stop rambling at the moment.

I just love his comedies
I have/spent far too little time reading, but when I do I usually turn to "Much Ado About Nothing", "Taming of the Shrew" etc.

never gotten around to go to an actual performance since my gf isn't a big fan

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

For some reason our high school only focused on the trajedies...R&J, MacBeth, Hamlet, King Lear...(they wonder why teenagers are depressed?)

I think its brilliant that he was able to have all these very modern-day situations...basically to predict that all these thinsg would happen back then. He is amazing. King Lear is forever my favourite.

'The weight of this sad time we must obey,
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne most; we that are young
Shall never see so much nor live so long.'
-Edgar, King Lear

Oooh, trechery, betrayal, a fight....*sigh* I love this play

Yes we got all the tragedies thru high school too ST. Thats interesting, I wonder why. My drama teacher in Year 8 was actually the one who told us about this performace of Midsummer at The Opera House. We were about 12, I suppose, all got dressed up and went to The Opera House to see a play. We thought we were so special adnd grown up. I haven't stopped going to the theatre since.

My hope is to get back to London to see the Shakespeare in the Park series and obviously to see a couple at The Globe.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 04-11-2002).]

I love Shakespeare, most people who don't like him either don't appreciate the language, or don't want to spend the time to really get what he's saying, there are so many complex metaphors it's very easy to get lost after about the first two stanzas of a play; he's quite difficult, but the rewards are well worth it, and everywhere you turn Shakespeare turns up in modern culture, I have an article about this somewhere, I hope I can find it and post it later...

My first exposure to Shakespeare were those lovely comic books that condensed his stories into simple English. The drawings were superb! Anyone read those too?

I only seriously started reading Shakespeare when I went thru a Mel Gibson fanatic phase. Hamlet was showing on tv, so I just had to teach myself so I could understand every word Mel was saying.

I think that once you get used to his language, you can understand most on your own. My favourite lines from Shakespeare are the 'stuff that dreams are made of' speech in The Tempest, the 'Hecuba' passage in Hamlet as well as all of Hamlet's soliloquys.

I actually saw Macbeth performed at the Globe Theatre, by the Royal Shakespeare Company. It put me to sleep
redface.gif
Preferred Roman Polanski's version on vcd
smile.gif

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

It seems that the more I open my eyes to the world, the more I notice Shakespeare's influence. Every story, every poem I read seems to bear some reference to his plays, his metaphors. It's amazing that the works of one man could still be so relevant and popular today.

Back
Top Bottom