How Does It Feel To Be A U2 Fan???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathou_u2

Refugee
And if you dream then dream out LOUD -U2 Always

This is an essay on what does it feel to be a U2 fan, it's very personal but feel free to reply...coz here we are all bonolover or Mullen-girl or... They are absolutely The SWEETEST THING!!!

How does it feel to be a U2 fan?

It’s a journey that started in about April-May 2004…so, it’s about 1 year and a half that I know that wonderful band! U2 have now conquered the deepest of my entire soul, it makes my heart miss a beat each time I see or hear them play… I owe them much more then I’ll ever realize, for a start I owe them the emancipation of my soul! I’ll never forget the way that they make me feel when I listen at One, Sunday bloody Sunday, etc. They touch my heart, they make me feel something, something special, that we can’t describe…

It’s a strange but wonderful feeling that you can’t named! If I translate that feeling into something concrete it would be a sort of “Home of Feelings”! Because, basically U2, their music is connected with their soul, their thoughts, their emotions…So it’s true music!

It’s not some sort of music-made-for-sale! Like Hip-Hop or Punk-Rock or Pop. Rather should I say music prefabricated, with singers who don’t even write their own lyrics and when they do so it’s, most of the time, about despair or they bash someone over and over again…Its music on the surface, they don’t go deeper because they’re afraid of what they might discover! But I’m not here to make comparisons, even if there are a lot to make…

So, U2 are kind of “Home of Feelings”. Where you can come in but never leave (like a band, lol) I guess. They put their soul on the table and make music with it…and it usually or should I say, always turns out into beautiful! And with that, so easy but complicate technique, they make us feel millions of emotions, mixing and living together! They travel between pure joy to love, between longing to sometimes not sadness because it’s too down and if its sadness there’s always hope…

In the end you have to love to be challenged with your own emotions. I believe that a big part of U2’s music is a pure challenge with emotions, you express them and after you deal with the consequences…So, for a U2 fan it’s all about feeling emotions and being challenged by them. And if you’re challenged by them that mean that emotions (your own) are always in actions, mixing and pounding in your heart and in your head. To feel emotions and to be challenged by them it’s the pure meaning of being alive… because you’re feeling something! You’re not numb. U2 give me something that I can feel rather than just see or hear. But feeling emotions can be a lot to bear, feeling that thoughts are always spinning inside your head can be sometimes a little bit confusing. Because U2 always manage to get you to think with you heart and your head, rather than sit still and just listen. U2 put you on the tips of your toes; provoke your feelings in a kind of way, they want a reaction; they named feelings that you couldn’t put a word on it, they express what deep down people are feeling!!!

So being a U2 fan is to be connected constantly with emotions, we’re in the end connected with our heart! And it’s ok, because music is like that in the end, or it should be! So U2 is more than a thought, it’s a feeling, who’s now becoming part of my everyday living! To be challenged by your emotions, at first, but you also have to love in some kind of way to worship them! There so much more than their music and lyrics… You can’t just resist wanting to know what’s going on inside the brain of these four incredible Irish men’s. One word: Bono! He’s doing so much: trying to save Africa, end poverty, making world leaders aware… He’s an inspiring activist; he’s an inspiring person, period! He’s deeply concern and he really knows the meaning of the words: Respect, Equality, Love, Justice, Peace…He tries to live in harmony with those words and wants us to follow! I too happily followed!!!

Being a U2 fan is maybe also letting their music, rather U2, take us by the hand and lead us toward that beautiful place call: Home of Feelings! The major part of being a U2 fan is their music, their lyrics that have meanings…But a small part lay on our shoulder, you have to say: Yes to U2. In which way? In the way that you let yourself be all open to capture emotions and feelings and thoughts send by U2. You have to capture that “innocence” that lies in every U2 fan. It’s not platonic innocence, is the right to believe into something much bigger than you, to jump into it and worship it. To worship peace, love, justice, equality, respect…that’s a part of innocence. That belief is, or should be, in the heart of every u2 fan. That ultimately bring you to a sort of: JOY! Because, you’re a part of something, like a big family! You also feel warm, at ease with U2…because after hours debating on the meaning of One, you know that if one day you feel Stuck In A Moment, Walk On will be there to help you out! U2 is a positive force, guiding your way with their bright light trough life, through ups and downs. Because, who never smiled happily at Beautiful Day, thought about the beauty of the meaning of One or cried in pure understanding at Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own??? Being a U2 fan is going all trough those emotions!!! Being a U2 fan means also that one day you had open your soul for them to come in and spread their beautiful message inside yourself. You had willingly agreed since that special day to bear the status: U2 fan. Sometimes it’s hard, you think you’ll loose balance or faith, but you sit back and remember that special day or the feeling that’s overwhelming you when you hear a U2 song…and without a doubt a smile spread over your face!!!

Being a U2 fan is being connected with the world, of his beauty and of his ugliness, it’s an everyday rally full of emotions. Being a U2 fan is maybe also one of the most beautiful things, a pure feeling of joy…because U2 is in the end even better than the real thing or just…The Sweetest Thing!

Ps: Thanks for giving me such a great life!!!:wink:

Excellent

That is a great essay, and I concur with you. There is something very distiguished and unique about U2, and I think you have captured a great deal of what that is.

Your essay makes me proud to be a U2 fan. :up:

Thank you...I see that this essay has somehow capture my feeling that me too, I'm proud to be a U2 fan!!!
It's quite long...but you know when you start talking about U2....you just can't stop!!!!LOL

Thanks!

Excellent writing....U2 would be proud to have you as a fan.

My mind the past few days is in mid-air...I just have too many issues that are troubling me.....otherwise I'd write my thoughts about U2. I have to get back to dragon hunting right now.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Yeah, when I get back from NYC, maybe I will write about U2 myself!

You know what, I'm actually going to try and make myselg have fun, and not be so serious for once....

Oh, and if you are worried about the length of your essay, don't even trouble yourself. Who knows how long mine will be. Explanations, elaborations, essays - that's one of my trademarks, apparently.

:wink: GOOD!!!
I'm really happy that other people are about to write an essay on: What does it feel to be a U2 Fan!!!

Thanks for your post...I'm glad that my essay is good and that it's not that long...Thanks Wizard2c for saying that U2 would be proud of me for what I have written...That makes me smile!!!:cute:

Ugh.... I cannot construct anything other than what I feel at the moment.... so.. in a little while I will get back to you with "my essay" of U2, hah.

I promise

Well, I won't write an essay, that's not my intention. Just a "list" as to why I like U2, Essay sounds too much like school......

It always starts with the same story, of how I came across U2.

I believe it happened in this order. I remember hearing a "beautiful", hypnotic sound on the radio one day. I didn't really listen to the words in music back then. But the sound of this, this whatever it was was amazing. I would come to find out it was a song called "Pride", but I didn't know what the band was or anything. But the guitar was entrancing to me back then, and it still is in many ways. But that was the first U2 encounter, really. I was already hooked, you could say, but I didn't even know it. I just thought it was something I liked.

A few months later, I found myself in a used CD store, and, perhaps remembering the bands name, or something else, I went to that section. I was a hesitant youth, and brought a few CDs to the player, to test them before I bought one. One stood out. I listened to the first 3 tracks and thought to myself, and I remember this distinctly "Hmm.... this sounds pretty good. I guess I will get it".

That was my first CD I ever bought for myself, and there haven't been many like it since. It was The Joshua Tree, and it shaped my entire musical thought process. That album alone was... essentially what I define all others against, and that is a pretty high measure. I had no idea what U2 was back then, so it's even more interesting to think about it.

Ah......... the memories.
I thought I was going to wear out my CD so I made a copy of it, hahaha. But you could say I've been a U2 fan as long as I've been a fan of music, and they have been a major influence in what I like. I have always said, if anyone is to understand me, they have to be able to understand U2, even more so, the Joshua Tree album, and Pride.

I put PRIDE on the side of my highschool ring - an dI am a very hard person when it comes to "what is my favorite.....", so you can see that I like taht song very much.

But the big thing to do with U2 is who they are, not just the music. Their personality comes through the music. Their honesy, sincerity, perspectives and feelings. Although I am not a devout Catholic, I respect Christianity and such greatly, and the religious aspect of the music is not lost on me.

I have always liked the bands music because of the purpose it brings, presents. Many of their songs have a relevant meaning in society around the world, and are not just, like so many songs here in the USA, some simple melody about how a person is feeling today. There is tremendous depth. And, indeed, it is "serious music"

Bono and the band have made great contributions to society as well, and are a solid force of trying to do the right thing in the world. I don't agree with them all the time, but a very good message they do proclaim.

U2 is the only "band" I like, as in, the only band I would say I am a true fan of. I really am interested in what they do, and how they do it. I'm not a rabid fan, but I respect everything about them, and can say that I am proud to be a U2 fan.

There is no body like U2, as far as I am concerned.

=========

ah....... there is so much I could write.... but I tried to keep it short.

hahahaha, oh well

Face to Face

Face to Face

Face to face
with a child
so extraordinary.
At first glance
the eyes were my eyes
staring at the future
a sky of prophecy surrounding
U2 . WAR

A song in the insert read:
Like a song I have to sing,
I sing it for you.
Like the words I have to bring,
I bring them to you.
Bono
The Edge
Adam Clayton
Larry Mullen Jr.

It was not just the music
but a reflection of time
bound by the sounds of tomorrow
words so real
I could reach out and
touch the hand of mankind.

Face to face
with U2
Journey of the heart
I sing back to you
my song of love.
Journey of the mind
my words I bring to you
not an eloquent tribute
but a humble “thank you”.

8-17-05

carol
wizard2c

:applaud: BRAVO!!!!

What both of you have just wrote....it's amazing, really profond, you'd captured a scent...the scent of being a U2 fan, the beauty of being a U2 fan!!! I have no words, I just smile...

"I have always said, if anyone is to understand me, they have to be able to understand U2..." GOD, that's SO true For Honor...you exactly put in words what I've ever felt!!!

Journey of the mind
my words I bring to you
not an eloquent tribute
but a humble “thank you”.
Wizard2c...What can I say...a humble Thank You! You seem really touch to be U2 fan...deeply moved by them, like we all are...it's good to see someone else have the same feelings!!!

You don' know how I'm happy to had started this topic!!!
I've discovered wonderful things!!!

***By the way I'll probably put ONE on the side of my highschool ring!!!

See ya
Hope to hear from you!!!
:cute:

You are most welcome cathou_u2.

Feel free to post here anytime.....your feelings about U2 or anything else which comes to your heart or mind.

carol
wizard2c

Thanks wizard2c for the compliment!!! It mades my day!!!

By the way, here's another essay or rather "list"...Feel free to add #12-13... if you recognize yourself and feel inspired!!!!
Thanks!!
See ya!!!

WHAT IS IT EXACTLY A U2 FAN?

1-Easy…when someone is asking you: How are you doing? And you’re replying: Fine, you too? You just can’t forget to make a mental connection with your favorite band, U2! For instance, you crack up into a big smile!

2-You relate almost every word of the dictionary with a song title, lyric, or something like that. You’re seeing a fly flying, you think about The Fly. When you think about the next Sunday…Sunday bloody Sunday. You see shades, it connects with Bono. When someone says: It’s a beautiful day, you just cannot resist a big grin and you’re tightening your ear for the song in question…

3-People tends to get annoyed when the conversation is going on and you interrupt to say something like: Bono did that too…Did you know that it was actually Larry and Adam who made the music for Mission Impossible?

4- And when they ask: Where have you read that? You sometimes get a little confused, was it in that interview in Rolling Stones or in that book…since you’ve read a lot about them…LOL!!!

5-You are BIG fan of their music…but of the men’s also! You whether drool for countless hours all over Bono (that’s me) or think that God incarnate himself into the body of Larry. You think that actually The Edge is the best guitar player of the World, since he’d inspired you to play guitar or you can recognize exactly the bass lines played by Adam in every songs.

6-You’re following Bono tightly in every campaign that he’s in at the moment. You feel deeply concern and you truly believe in what he’s saying and his actions! (The man itself has changed your life in more than one mysterious ways.)

7-Family and friends think about you and the first three words that they have in mind is :Fan of U2!

8-Family and friends also think that you’re deeply concern about Africa, world issues, peace, justice, equality, Greenpeace…but do they really know that it’s all because of U2?

9-In your spare times you spend hours and hours navigating on internet, on different websites related to U2, looking at pictures, subscribing at some forums to talk with other fellow die-hard fan of U2, discovering new songs, etc…

10- Every day you’re going at U2.com to read the last-minute news and see how great the last show in Lisbon was…Reading that often lead you to a session of daydreaming about how it will be great when they’ll finally come in 3 months in your homeland…

11-You cannot resist to listen at one or five songs before going to bed…and when everyone is sleeping, at about midnight, you’re still in your bed singing along with Bono, but at low volume, the song Elevation, or One, or With Or Without You, or…

Here's goes nothing.........

#12 -

(common occurance for me) - You meet someone who says they know U2, and are a fan. Talk about some songs, some shared likings, etc. But then you start talking about albums, and how U2 is a really unique band, and you start to notice the person is loosing pace/interest. But you figure - maybe they're being shy or something, so you keep talking about an album, or the process of how U2 has changed over time, or what makes them special, or something about an album that you really like

But..... they kind of just smile and nod, being nice.

-=-=-=-=-

It's hard to find REAL U2 fans, that you can actually discuss the band, etc. with.... :|

If you don't get to listen to your favorite U2 song for a while..... You have withdrawel symptoms, and randomly strike up the beat on something, or sing the chorus over....

And then when you do get to hear it, who knows how many times in a row you listen to that one special song........

:drool: PRIDE:drool:

A friend hands you "More Maximum U2" for a random gift..... and even though you may not really want to watch it, you are secretly waiting for the right time so you can just sit down and take it all in, even if you are wary about the "goodness" of the documentary.

But it's U2, so..................

:rockon:

When you are feeling bad and go to the PLEBA site and you find a U2 photo that puts a smile :) back on your face and in your heart......you are a U2 fan.

carol
wizard2c

When seaching the radio for a decent song (ugh....), and you happen to come across a U2 song, even if it is at the very end, you announce ''now THIS is a good song!!!!!!!", and make sure everyone knows everything you k now about that U2 song.

And for me, personally, when I hear PRIDE, especially if it just starts up, and I hear that very first guitar note........

It's like flipping a switch, and my reaction is rather........ instantaneous, hahahaha

:)

:wink: I totally, feel the same thing for EVERY song of U2...Like Beautiful Day=Big smile on my face!!!
SYCMIOYO=Crack up crying, almost evry time...:(

And I dare anyone, especially my brother to switch the song to some crap song when I'm bloody singing along and all...:mad:

You are adamant about U2's cover of a song being much better than the original, almost all the time

(especially, personally, for Unchianed Melody - the B sides verion of Best of 1980... is awesome, in my opinion)

:wink: I totally agree with you!!

Did you hear Two shots of happy and one shot of sad?
Bono is definetely...really sweet, makes me melt, drool....

Back
Top Bottom