You know you gained weight and.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think many rockers in Rock music have gained weight over the years. One of the most clear example is Axl Rose :( He was VERY skinny in the 80s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfgg27MfcQ and in recent performances (2006) the amount of weight gained is clear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW-dbmIQcCI

Bono's overweight become apparent when you compare him with With Or Without You Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znwhJ75Xch8

There're many examples of weight gained, but some other musicians have managed to never looked fat despite their age :bow: like Mick Jagger (and all The Rolling Stones), Freddie Mercury, Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler, Roger Waters, David Gahan, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Michael Stipe, Sting, Cat Stevens, Geddy Lee, Roger Daltrey, Bryan Adams, etc :applaud:

:wave:

ponkine said:
I think many rockers in Rock music have gained weight over the years. One of the most clear example is Axl Rose :( He was VERY skinny in the 80s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfgg27MfcQ and in recent performances (2006) the amount of weight gained is clear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW-dbmIQcCI

That's a product of changing drugs. :wink: What's funny is that he sings with a very similar voice now as he did back then, but it sounds so weird coming out of his new look!

Re: Re: You know you gained weight and.....

Chizip said:

id be happy they were honest and use it as motivation to get into shape

Really?

I'd want to kick them in the head and then go back to working out or weight watchers.

There's such a thing as tact you know.

Oh, and could we not turn this thread into PLEBA?

Thanks.

JC I would feel offended if someone said that to me. Along with wanting to punch them for even having the guts to say to say something like that.

There is a right way and wrong way to approach a topic like that with someone. Some people just never practice tact which is a real shame because it could certainly spare hurt feelings :tsk:

JCOSTER said:
So most of you, would be offended, Even if the said person said that because they were concerned for your well being? :huh:

My answer is still yes because I believe that they could try a gentler approach to it. Can understand them being concerned but to say it in any of the ways that were listed is just plain rude.

JCOSTER said:
So most of you, would be offended, Even if the said person said that because they were concerned for your well being? :huh:

Who wants to be called fat?
People who are grossly overweight know it. It's not some shocking revelation when someone tells them they are concerned about their weight. People have to want to get healthy. It's like telling a smoker that cigarettes are bad for them. They know it but have to want to quit or want to get help to quit.

JCOSTER said:

Absolutely:yes:
I agree with WildHoneyAlways!............everyone is fully aware of what health problems can exist due to being overweight or obese.....just like everyone is aware of smoking and drinking excessive alcohol......but you don't seem to have anyone approach a skinny person that smokes and say "you know what? you really should not smoke....you are being unfair to your body"

If you are that way inclined and wish to let people (family/friends/strangers) know that they are doing wrong things to their body................go ahead.........but it's extremely bad manners and you won't be making friends with the people you say it to.....comments like these only directed to overweight people hurt and damage their self-esteem and contribute to depression.

Just like quitting smoking,overcoming alcoholism.........increasing excersize and limiting the fats and sugar consumed HAS to be a decision made by the person themselves............personally i think you are up yourself if you think a comment/several comments will change the way a person thinks in reagards to weight gain!

Last edited:
My feeling is that if you treat an overweight person with kid gloves, then they are unlikely to ever change. I'm not saying that they should be berated, but telling them that it's ok to be 50lbs overweight is just as bad or even imply that by not saying anything at all is just as bad. This isn't about telling someone to become a stick, it's about preventing them from having a heart attack. I'd rather have my feeligs hurt than drop dead at 43.

randhail said:
My feeling is that if you treat an overweight person with kid gloves, then they are unlikely to ever change. I'm not saying that they should be berated, but telling them that it's ok to be 50lbs overweight is just as bad or even imply that by not saying anything at all is just as bad. This isn't about telling someone to become a stick, it's about preventing them from having a heart attack. I'd rather have my feeligs hurt than drop dead at 43.

:banghead:

Look.....i doubt that you are referring talking to a stranger about this issue.......so i will assume you are referring to a family member or a close friend.

You telling your dad,mum,sister,brother, whoever, that they are overweight will not change their way of thinking,it will only hurt them....they know....and unfortunately there is nothing you can say.

However.........you can lead by example....... You can't expect someone to change the way they eat or to start keeping healthy if you are not doing it.....i've seen it myself where a friend of mine was hassling her obese brother calling him fat and to stop eating so much....THEN reaching for Smith's crisps in the pantry and eating it for herself.

If you are living with this person...start making changes yourself.........start buying more healthy options,more fruit &veg(if you don't do the shopping,go with the person who does and suggest buying more healthier foods,offer to help pay for these items),start going for walks.......make it a family thing...take the dog.

These sort of changes are FAR,FAR, more effective!

I would personally say

" hey how about me and u go for a jog this weekend " or summet daft

vaz02 said:
I would personally say

" hey how about me and u go for a jog this weekend " or summet daft

:up: this is a good approach

just saying hi, how are you? doesn't guarantee they will talk about their health. But then I could come back with the above statement at some point in the conversation.

fly so high! said:

So what,what's it to you?

A lot of people were saying that it would be rude to mention it right to there face, and I agree that you can use some tact in these situations. I wasn't looking for a way to approach this to a person personally as I've dealt with friends that were alcoholics or over-weight, etc. I was looking for a little more then, hi, how are you? That starts any conversation. But I'm sure people who are better communicators than me may have some good approaches to various situations. I apologize if this is a sore subject for you.

daafish said:

A lot of people were saying that it would be rude to mention it right to there face, and I agree that you can use some tact in these situations. I wasn't looking for a way to approach this to a person personally as I've dealt with friends that were alcoholics or over-weight, etc. I was looking for a little more then, hi, how are you? That starts any conversation. But I'm sure people who are better communicators than me may have some good approaches to various situations. I apologize if this is a sore subject for you.

Daafish!.........I asked a question? What's it to you?...Maybe i need to re-phrase:huh:

Why do you feel the need to approach an over-weight person and tell them what they should/should not do in regards to their weight?

Health professionals don't even bring up the issue UNLESS there is an associated medical problem on the verge of or already existing.

It's not up to the lay-man to advise.

fly so high! said:

Daafish!.........I asked a question? What's it to you?...Maybe i need to re-phrase:huh:

Why do you feel the need to approach an over-weight person and tell them what they should/should not do in regards to their weight?

Health professionals don't even bring up the issue UNLESS there is an associated medical problem on the verge of or already existing.

It's not up to the lay-man to advise.

ok, I see where you're going. It doesn't matter whether they bring up the subject or not a simple, how are you? goes a long way. It's not for me decide. I got caught up in the fact that people were concerned on how to handle it if the subject did come up. I wasn't trying to say that I wanted to tell an over-weight person what to do with themselves, I wouldn't do that. If they were to ask me about something like exercise I would tell them what I do but that it's best to seek out the pros (trainers, nutritionists, etc) to discover what best for them. Sorry, I misunderstood. :)

^ No worries!

What i'm concerned about is what the thread starter is implying....that it is OK for someone to comment on a persons weight gain by using the following examples(see below!)..........No it's not OK and you will harm their self-esteem intended or not.
JCOSTER said:
Heres the question:

Female or Male

You know you've gained a few pounds over recent months, someone very close to you says the following:

I think you should join curves
I think you should work out
When are you going back to Weight Watchers
I think your depressed about your weight
I noticed you've gained a few lbs.

all for the reason being I am concerned about your well being.

How do you feel?

:huh:

OOPs I meant to put this in the wrong forum, please move to appropriate one. thanks

As i have suggested before.....making some lifestyle changes yourself and show them by example is far more effective.

i came home from college one summer a little on the chunky side, my parents suggested joining a gym. i studied up on proper exercise and diet and lost 40 pounds that summer and it was the best thing for me, as now i know how to better take care of myself. if they had never said anything i probably would have continued being lazy. so frankly, i think a relative or close friend saying something can be a good thing.

Re: Re: You know you gained weight and.....

fly so high! said:
^ No worries!

What i'm concerned about is what the thread starter is implying....that it is OK for someone to comment on a persons weight gain by using the following examples(see below!)..........No it's not OK and you will harm their self-esteem intended or not.

As i have suggested before.....making some lifestyle changes yourself and show them by example is far more effective.

No, I'm asking everyone here if someone said the above comments to you how would you feel?

you got a picture of yourself ? maybe then we can see where the problem lays.

If you have a proble with your weight try a diet and then when you feel confident enough that you are trying to loose weight go for a jog somewhere quite and relaxing.

Music + jogging/ excerising = fun

Diet + TV = ok

Deal or no deal + Diet - beer = great

u2 + led zeppelin = what else do you need

Bush + blair - public support = out you go

Back
Top Bottom