when i was 4...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
i watched my grandad die. it was a really strange thing, cos through it, and at the funeral i didnt cry, i was upset obviously, but for some reason i didnt cry, because i knew id see him again somwere.

now i feel really guilty about not crying.

I wouldn't feel guilty. The reason that you didn't cry is very sweet.

I sometimes feel guilty because I didn't go to my grandma's funeral. But my last memory of seeing my grandma is sitting at her kitchen table with her, watching a funny game show and laughing so hard. That's how I wanted to remember her.

People cope with death in different ways...it doesn't mean that any of those ways are wrong or should make us feel guilty.

Not everybody is...there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sorry about your bunny though. :( My family has always had tons of pets, which has always meant we've had lots of deaths to experience. :(

I am an extreme crier when it comes to people dying. I didn't go to my grandfather's funeral because I was going to head down to Texas within the month and he was going to be cremated. I'm glad I didn't although my mom has his ashes in our house and it was quite strange sitting next to them :huh:

i am an emotional wreck when a loved one dies. i dont hide my feelings well.

i didnt go to my grandmother's (my mom's mom) funeral when she passed on. it was too much for me to handle as i was really close to her. i can't imagine my other grandmother dying. im really close to her also.

:(

I've only experienced the death of a relative once -- my paternal grandfather over ten years ago. I didn't know him that well and only saw him once or twice a year, but I cried at the funeral and when we got back, my stepmom talked about it to everyone that called to see how we were, saying that I'd only cried because my dad was crying and that I couldn't have really been upset because I didn't know him very well. :mad:

When my dad died 7 years ago I didn't cry that much. I mean, I cried, but just in kind of bursts. Whenever you see people on telly and stuff who have lost parents unexpectedly (my dad died in an accident when I was 20) they seem to cry constantly.....and I didn't do that. Obviously you can't tell how you'll react when one of your parents dies suddenly, but sometimes I'm not sure that I've actually dealt with it yet. Like I sometimes wonder if one day I'll just wake up and suddenly be unable to get out of bed for days. then again, I might have already been through the whole grieving process....

who knows :shrug:

My grandmother died January 13 of 2004. Just a few months ago. It was the most horrible thing that ever happened in my life. Her and me were really, really, really close. It was summer vacation here and my grandma used to spend it with us. When my dad is not at home, my little sister usually goes to sleep with my mom and my grandma (who in the summer used to sleep in the same room with my sister) used to go to sleep with me cause in our beach house I got a big bed on my room. We used to talk and laugh a lot, my grandma was not your usual grandma, she was very young in a way, she was a very fun, funny and was always happy person. Nothing could stop her. Her life was very difficult, yet she managed to pass through a lot of things and raise her kids on her own in a time where a woman that raised her kids by herself was not well seen and she wasn?t even well seen by her family who thought bad things about her. Her ex-husband never did anything for her, never gave my mom and uncle any money for collage or school or anything like this. She worked her whole life! An amazing, amazing woman she was.

We used to talk a lot, older people are really funny. So she woke up in the night and wasn?t feeling too well, I stayed with her, she didn't wanted me to call anyone cause this had happened before. But I had to call my mom, my mom took her to the hospital and my grandma had a heart attack and died there. When my dad had to come home to tell me I thought I was having a heart attack. I never felt like that, my legs and hands started shaking at one point and I couldn?t even feel my face anymore, don't know why. It was a big shock. Going to her funeral was the most heartbreaking thing, cause just a few hours before I was with her. I never cried in front of people before, I?m not that kind of guy but I couldn?t stop, I could not control myself, it was very weird. I cried in front of a lot of people and I didn?t give a damn about it, I felt kinda embarrassed some weeks later when I stopped to thing about it. In her funeral she didn't look the same on the coffin, looked different, not like my grandma so I still feel like she left and didn't came back. I still feel like she is alive.

Only recently I had the nerves to look at her picture again, I couldn?t even do that. I think the fact that I'm writing this means that I'm getting better. Months before she died my grandma did a lot of things she didn't used to do at the same time, she went to see all of her brothers and sisters and stay with them some time, she didn't used to do that, she did a lot, it almost felt like she knew something was going to happen, she told me to kiss her goodbye before she left to the hospital and I did for the last time. But I still see her every time I close my eyes, cause I got a lot of very good memories of me with her.

My grandad just died about a month ago in the most horrific and painful way-in a car crash then a week in intensive care. I did have a tear or two but i wanted not to cry and stay strong for everyone else because i know that my grandad wouldn't have wanted everyone to cry because i no he would have blamed himself which i wudn't want him to do.

SWlondnr said:
My grandad just died about a month ago in the most horrific and painful way-in a car crash then a week in intensive care. I did have a tear or two but i wanted not to cry and stay strong for everyone else because i know that my grandad wouldn't have wanted everyone to cry because i no he would have blamed himself which i wudn't want him to do.

:hug:

When my first friend died I didnt cry. I became so ill that I didnt attend the funeral and I ended up in Emergency.

Next one who died, I cried a little.

Now when relies or friends die I let rip. I am now known as the Sobbing Woman at funerals. And I like it that way. A priest told me that he could determine what I was feeling as I was so open with my emotions.

For me, it took a number of funerals before I felt comfortable crying in front of my friends and family and strangers. I think its an acquired skill. Nobody teaches you how to not cry at work/school and then all of a sudden be able to open up during times of grief and then close when you go back to school/work.

IMHO.

:hug: to everyone.

All of us definitely feel and grieve in our own ways. I'm always fascinated by the way my body chooses to physiologically react to certain situations. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I go cold, and other times I seem to feel nothing when I know I should feel something. And sometimes I'm just stubborn, or I want to be strong for people around me when things get rough.

:shrug:

Ultimately, though, we all "carry each other," and that's the main thing.

Back
Top Bottom