What is your definition of love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
I know this might be a silly thread but seriously, what is your definition of love? What is the difference of loving someone or being in love?

If you were to say to your significant other you love them for the first time, would you say I'm in love with you or I love you?

I must quote Meet Joe Black on this one...
That's not love. [It's] some aimless infatuation which, for the moment, you feel like indulging. It's missing everything that matters. ...Trust, responsibility, taking the weight for your choices and feelings and spending the rest of your life living up to them, and above all, not hurting the object of your love. ...Multiply it by infinity and take it to the depth of forever and you will still have barely a glimpse of what I'm talking about. ...Reveal everything there is to know about yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

My mother and I love this part of the movie. And yes, basically that's it. Especially the spending the rest of your life living up to your choices and feelings by being reponsible and thus allowing the other person to trust you.

I wish my ex-girlfriend could understand english because it's so well worded, I would send it to her in a heartbeat ...or two. :huh:

Last edited:
I don't really have an articulate definition of my own, but I like this one

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

For we know in part and we prophesy in part,

but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

:hmm: U2Girl, are you in love??? :hug:

It's hard to top what Mrs. Springsteen wrote. I think love is what you do, not what you say...and those actions related to love entail support, nurturing (physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, etc) and respect.

i do think romantic love (i.e., being "in love") is an emotional or affective state that gets confused with "loving someone." While the former is emotional and often based on physical attraction and idealization, the latter is based on partnership, respect, and "for better or worse." Western cultures conflate the two, which I think explains our very high divorce rates. Hard to base something that is supposed to last a lifetime on volatile emotions.

I'm not sure I've answered the question. At all. :slant:

U2Girl1978 said:
You sorta did. I like hearing interpretations from different people.

:)

And to me being in love......

Well... I'm not sure yet. :wink:

:love: :up: :D :applaud::

Heh heh heh heh.........

This is one ZC thread that I will pass on stating my opinion...

for now............

"In love" and infatuation are the same thing.

Genuine love is I Corinthians 13 love, like Mrs. Springsteen posted.
Love is a choice. You chose to love or not to love a person.

I just learned all of this is the past 9 months.

I've never been in love because girls don't like ugly guys like me. Looks are the most important thing. Eye Candy is critical to society's well-being.

Love is a feeling of caring and concern and attachment you have for human or animals.

Unfortunately, I no longer believe there is such thing as 'love' as in a couple. In all my years (nearly 36) I must say I have come to see and believe that there is a difference between LOVE and ROMANCE. Romantic love, infatuation, and sexual attraction are a form of nature, where 2 people are attracted to each other, usually for reasons of repopulating the earth.(I mean this caused by nature, not the people thinking it) or companionship needs. This fades in time, and either turns to attachment, or apathy, or even hate. I do not WANT to think this, it makes me very sad, but it is a conclusion I have come to recently judging by everyone I have ever known. I also think some people especially the young have unrealistic idealistic impressions of what they feel or expect love to be and this causes them much pain and disappointment when it life does not live up to this. Okay I am getting old and cynical but that's how I see it. I don't believe in love, anymore.

briarrose said:
"In love" and infatuation are the same thing.

Genuine love is I Corinthians 13 love, like Mrs. Springsteen posted.
Love is a choice. You chose to love or not to love a person.

I just learned all of this is the past 9 months.

Pssst ........ Me too .....

:| :up: :|

my tale of love, or what I believe it.... will probably unfold slowly.

But like the above................

I believe that is why love - the purest and real kind, be it with family or another loved one - is not a thing that rises and sinks with the tide. Real love is just that, a choice. That is why it can be eternal. You can choose every second of every day what you think and feel inside your mind. Emotions come and go, ability comes and goes, but that choice is always there.

Circumstantial effects, such as emotion, can make that choice easy, but real love stays true when emotion turns sour. Real love, perhaps, is a question that doesn't need to be answered.

Perhaps it is alo a sort of.... state of mind.

I believe real love can last forever - and I say this first and formost because I know my true love for another can last forever. I speak only for myself, but I'm sure others are this way. And I say this because I do know, I know who I am, and I know I can have that enduring mentality. I know I am willing to put forth effort, and will always make the decision to love, if it is the right way/person/etc.

Part of my definition of love, true, real love, (couple style) is this:

When two people make the choice to live together forever. From the point of that decision, it is no longer you and your mate, it is "us". It is a team to the greatest level of that word. If one person has a problem, the first person to be there should be the other, because the other realizes it is their own problem. I don't mean to quote Dr Phil, but he does say some good stuff -

It's not 50%/50% - it's 100%, 100%

That being said, as much as two people should support each other to the fullest.... you must sacrifice for the couple, or as it were, for the marriage. Even Marriage of souls.

heh....... for me....... I could almost "define" it.
There is so much to say - my definition of love has changed and grown so much. When I say love

I say it in the most serious way possible

That is just me, but that is who I am. That's why I don't use that word much. But so be it.

That was part of my ''definition of love''

America troubles me a lot..... I mean, if you break your marriage vows, then....... you are a liar, and... it's like....

:|

---------

I guess marriage isn't for everyone, but it's for me.

But I think to be in real love, you either need to be tremendously lucky, or (the more likely situation), you need to be a strong person who is willing to put forth time and effort, and not crumble when the sun doesn't shine. Sadly, I really wonder how many people are capable of making absolute commitments in this way. The way things go no, taking the easy road and being selfish is the "in" trend. But I shouldn't speak for other people.

I think people see marriage/love, or at least the idea conveyed to me from American media, etc, the views shown at me (as in, what I would think if I didn't analyze and philosophize), is, that it's a very conceited thing. Oh, I want to have the perfect mate, and I want to have the perfect home, and I want to be happy forever, and I want to be loved forever. I me my....

And love really isn't about you. It's just about your choice to love someone else. It's hard to be in love, real love, because, in my opinion it's hard to match up with someone who feels that way.

Or more so, for others - it is hard to find someone who thinks the same way you do about love.

You know - expectations and communication....................

Well, I will stop posting for now, because I could easily get into this subject rather intensely, and I've already posted 3 times in a row, so......................................

until next time

Can I quote Meet Joe Black again? I love this movie...

I know it's a cornball thing but love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? I say fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I'm not hearing any heart. Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love -- well you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived.

Awesome movie that gives me hope that love is still out there. ....:reject:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I don´t define Love.

The heart is wild, like a jungle...

:yes: :love:

You don't define love, it's the other way around.

That said, whatever the def if there is one might be, it' s decision, not a 'feeling'. Love is an action, whether making love to your man or woman, kissing a child's cheek, snuggling your favorite cat, praying to whatever God you might believe in, or call a friend to check on him or her or goof off together.

BrownEyedBoy I meant this quote. I really :love: this...

I know it's a cornball thing but love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? I say fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I'm not hearing any heart. Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love -- well you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived.

Back
Top Bottom