What is your definition of love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought I knew what love was. I've been married for almost 9 years and figured after all that time I had a clue. Boy was I wrong! I think you can be a good person and care about someone and not neccesarily be in love with them. Or be showing them the true sense of the word.

I've never given my full heart. Its always been "love" on my terms. Holding things back and having my own life. There has always been lust, but I didn't know what it was truly like to make love with someone till recently and to really understand what its like to give someone your heart.

I believe truely loving someone involves giving up part of yourself willingly and being willing to combined your life with theirs. Putting them before yourself and being willing to take a leap of faith with your feelings and emotions. For years I never wanted to put myself out there. I was hurt way to many times as a child. I never wanted to feel that way again, so I closed part of myself off. But I've realized that if you truly love someone its worth the risk. The rewards are so amazing that its worth the possible pain.

I don't know ..... I think it is appropriate for everyone to have their own definitions and extremes of love. A lot of people don't want what I want, and that's okay. Relationships mean different things to different people. Everything is relative, :blahblah:

But I think you can only be in love as much as you feel you can be in love. I know my depths, or at least a .... relative awareness of how deeply I can be in love.

Different depths for different people. But it is integral that you find someone with a simlar depth to you.

I'm on the deeper side, so, I know that deep love is existant. But easy and existant are not synonamous, if you know what I mean....

Oh, and one more thing, deeper doesn't neccesarily mean better.

I'm not tryin to sound superior because I say I 'know' I can love deeply (for one, I'm sure we can all love deeply, :blahblah: ), but the point I was trying to get at is I think it's more important for everyone to know and understand their own way of loving. Different people have different needs/capabilities.

That being said, I don't think people should get married unless they have every intention to stay married. What's the point of getting married for 2 years and then "not" being married?

That's one thing I will always disagree with (at least on a personal level)

But on a realistic level, I do understand why and how.

Love=empathy+heart+soul+undefined, mysterious 'dark matter' variable binding all creatures together.

In short, the number 9

ok... 15 year olds definition of love...because i believe i am in love, i know that sounds rich... but thats another story.

anyway, Love is being able to talk to a member of the opposite sex comfortly (and i mean deep and meaningfull talks here) and also to feel comfortable doing "other things" not sex, what ever floats your boat!! Love is just when things click! you know when your not inlove! and when you do...it's a feeling that can not be described

well thats my 2cents!

Chocolate does it for me at this point:)Your thoughts are great.
I just wanted to say that for me love means sharing. By that , i mean not just me and other half, but me & he & world.

DAMN!

that is one thing I do not LOVE about interference.

I just spent 20 minutes writing something for this thread, and now it was lost, because it made me sign in again......

:mad: :mad: :mad:

GRRR!!

I don't have the time to write it all out again
But maybe I will come back and try again tomorrow........

man, I don't like that.

:mad:

It was about how love is a great representation of the human condition itself

the last part was

to love is to be human
or to be human is to love

or maybe, just maybe,

to love is to eat chocolate
or perhaps
to share chocolate......... :hmm:

briarrose said:
"In love" and infatuation are the same thing.

Genuine love is I Corinthians 13 love, like Mrs. Springsteen posted.
Love is a choice. You chose to love or not to love a person.

I just learned all of this is the past 9 months.

I don't agree -- but it's just because of words.

I consider "infatuation" a one-direction love: you like someone, you think you are in love, but the other person doesn't care/love you that much.

While love is bi-directional: you both feel a deep feeling, you want to share time together, do things together, know the things the other person likes.

One of the greatest phrase about love is the one Tom-tom says to Eloise in The Million Dollar Hotel, while they're in Tom-Tom's room.
Unfortunately I can't remember it well, and I just know it in Italian...

"you say

AttnKleinkind said:

"love is a temple, love a higher law"

love is a temple, love a higher law

you ask me to enter
but then you make me crawl
and I can't keep holding on
to what you got
when all you got is hurt"

=========

Heh.........

You forgotvone of the most important parts

I think a lot of people should read that line - especially if you are in a relationship with a Loser who has only got hurt, in return for your love......

========

did I ask too much?
more than a lot?
you give me nothing, now thats
all I've got

My definition of love involved a rather large keyword

"reciprocation"

but that is in the mix with: loyalty, fidelity, compromise, effort, perseverence, teamwork, communication, the "want" to be in love.

I ..... can't love someone if they don't show love to me.
I'm just not that way.
I mean, I still have memories, but.....
I can't function completely when it comes to love if it's just me.

I KNOW I can't invest more than I can afford to loose, because I'm serious about love.

Quoting from my fav U2 song:

love is "let me bring you to where two roads meet"

Perfect.

Love?

Why... "Love" is Tom Cruise hopping on Oprah's couch, is it not??

Perhaps not.

Here are some interesting quotes I came across while trying to find some clever love quote to post here (so that I may appear intelligent and thoughtful, of course):

Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke.
-Lynda Barry

Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less.
-Rabbi Julius Gordon

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
-Matt Groening, "Life in Hell"

The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.
-Morrie Schwartz, 'Tuesdays With Morrie'

I believe love is primarily a choice and only sometimes a feeling. If you want to feel love, choose to love and be patient.
-Real Live Preacher 'Anonymous author of RealLivePreacher.com '

True friends are those who really know you but love you anyway.
-Edna Buchanan

Love is the big booming beat which covers up the noise of hate.
-Margaret Cho

Try to love someone who you want to hate, because they are just like you, somewhere inside, in a way you may never expect, in a way that resounds so deeply within you that you cannot believe it.
-Margaret Cho

If there’s one thing I know it’s God does love a good joke.
Hugh Elliott, ' Standing Room Only weblog'

One word
Frees us of all the weight and pain of life:
That word is love.
-Sophocles

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.
-William Shakespeare

The things that we love tell us what we are.
-Saint Thomas Aquinas

One is very crazy when in love.
-Sigmund Freud

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair.
-Gilbert K. Chesterton

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage.
-Ambrose Bierce

Young love is a flame; very pretty, often very hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. The love of the older and disciplined heart is as coals, deep-burning, unquenchable.
-Henry Ward Beecher

..For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
...Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.
When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, I am in the heart of God."
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.
Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.
-Kahlil Gibran, 'The Prophet'

My understanding of the Scriptures has been made simple by the person of Christ. Christ teaches that God is love ... and as much as I respond in allowing myself to be transformed by that love and acting in that love, that's my religion. Where things get complicated for me, is when I try to live this love. Now that's not so easy.
-Bono, 'Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas'

As for my opinion, Love is a choice, not a feeling (Infatuation is a feeling). Love is a mature, responsible and conscious decision to live outside of one's own self and one's own interests for the betterment, the joy, the support, the fulfillment, the 'lifting up' of another human being(s), or of an idea or a cause. It is a gift that expects and asks nothing in return (henceforth.. a "gift", duh!!) and is not given under conditions and expectations.
It is a choice. It is work, sacrifice and surrender.

^ I agree with your personal thoughts, and here are the quotes I like the most/relate to the most.

=========

I believe love is primarily a choice and only sometimes a feeling. If you want to feel love, choose to love and be patient.
-Real Live Preacher 'Anonymous author of RealLivePreacher.com '

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.
-William Shakespeare

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
-Mohandas Gandhi

My understanding of the Scriptures has been made simple by the person of Christ. Christ teaches that God is love ... and as much as I respond in allowing myself to be transformed by that love and acting in that love, that's my religion. Where things get complicated for me, is when I try to live this love. Now that's not so easy.
-Bono, 'Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas'

^
(I respect Bono a great deal for this. I don't neccesarily share his idea exactly, but I sure do respect that view and understand where he is coming from. A veiw like that, I say, is something I can really understand and respect)

===
my favorite:

Young love is a flame; very pretty, often very hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. The love of the older and disciplined heart is as coals, deep-burning, unquenchable.
-Henry Ward Beecher

===

girlhappy said:
For HOnor, i read Bonos quote about God and love and dont get it, how can you explain his idea?

girlhappy,
here is the website I took the bono quote from. Its from his new book. I "condensed" his comments in my original post, so perhaps you can understand his point of view if you read the whole thing.

Its the usual three w's, dot, then type in:

christianitytoday.com/music/interviews/2005/bono-0805.

then "html"

Seems I'm allowed to post a weblink...

Check it out.

TripThruUreWires said:
quite simply put,
Love is Christ Jesus.

so what is a Hindu, a Jew, a Muslim, an agnostic, an atheist, a Buddhist, a Shintoist, or any one who isn't a particular stripe of Christian to do?

i'll be honest: i don't know what love is, though i feel like i know it in the negative -- as in, i don't know what i'd do with my life if i lost those i love. it would feel as if a part of myself had died, and perhaps that's how you know someone -- they have become a part of you, assimilated into how you see and understand the world and experience life, and were they to do, the world would get smaller and colder and darker.

(to be terrible, does anyone else have "I Want to Know What Love Is," by Foreigner stuck in their heads after reading this thread?)

(i want you to show me)

Back
Top Bottom