The best week of my life.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
So I just got back from a six-day youth leadership/personal development type camp, called "Rotary Youth Leadership Awards" (RYLA).

It was the best - and most fun - week of my entire life to date.

No phones. No TV. No internet. No outside world. No booze. We boarded a bus Sunday morning and none of us knew each other.

We left earlier today, many in tears. I didn't cry but fuck was it hard. The people I have met are truly fucking amazing people. Like the guy who was homeless for 15 months but finished his VCE this year. Or the girl who was in an abusive relationship now in a better one and supporting the White Ribbon organisation. The girl who has depression and was about to throw it all in before turning her life around at RYLA. The beautiful girl I met and made a great connection with. I don't see a relationship ever forming - but she is incredible and I'll gladly take a friendship. We hugged today, as she cried. It was the most fulfilling hug of my life.

My "buddy" - everyone had a "buddy", it was a way of checking we were all there. Again I don't think we'll form a relationship but she is amazing too and my heart feels great again talking about this girl, these girls, these people.

I met like-minded people. People who are truly passionate about changing the world. It was fucking incredible. I feel more confident and self-assured than I ever have.

And it was so much fun. I threw myself right out there, right out of my comfort zone, and embraced the week, did as much as I possibly could. Fuck the possibility of embarrassment right? Just make people smile and laugh.

We all wrote each other "warm fuzzies" - notes for each other. And people have written some great things about me, and my passion and my confidence and my personality and all these things that I did doubt.

People throw the words "life-changing" around a lot but I think this program really may have been life-changing. I've resolved to make our family better, and I think I really mean it this time.

I'm so emotional. My chest is swirling. I can't eat. I can't describe how I feel. I'm listening to Destroyer's Thief, and the music is just so perfectly accompanying my feelings right now.

I'm so happy, happier than ever, but I'm also really depressed. It was such a great time, and the chances are we'll all never ever be in a room together ever again. How can I settle back into reality when I was so incredibly moved by the vibe of the past six days?

Holy fuck.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

:cute: Aw, sounds like you found a bunch of friends for life there. Reading this gave me a big smile on my face Cobbler.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I absolutely love this! :up:

I am so happy for you. It really is amazing how one thing can change your life, but it sounds like this is exactly what has happened. Sometimes when you really put yourself out there, you can be amazed what you get back. I'm glad you are starting to see what we all do...you are a wonderful person!:hug:

Sounds like it was bloody awesome. :up:

I wouldn't mind doing something like that sometime. How did you catch the gig?

Ohhhh Bonnie! I could not possibly recommend this program to you strongly enough. You would get a huge amount out of it.

Here's a link - Error

You don't pay a single cent for it. You find a rotary club in your area and get them to sponsor you (and you can apply for the program without a sponsor, they will find you one). It goes for six days, and you get everything for free. I didn't spend a single cent, from getting nominated by my local rotary club to coming home yesterday. I'm not sure what time of year RYLA happens in the Adelaide area, but yeah, please, please, please do it. I'm not normally pushy but I feel so fucking incredible (got home like 30 hours ago and haven't stopped thinking about it for a second) about it that I feel implored to tell you that you must do absolutely everything in your power to go.

The beautiful girl I met and made a great connection with. I don't see a relationship ever forming - but she is incredible and I'll gladly take a friendship. We hugged today, as she cried. It was the most fulfilling hug of my life.
Come on now, don't let an opportunity like that drift away so easily.

It's obvious that it isn't easy, everything has to be built and worked on, but give it a try.

I have personally said the same thing to myself several times and have regretted the fact that I did not take any action a thousand times afterwards.

What were the actual techniques they used to brainwash you? Did they strap you into a chair and pin your eyes open like in Clockwork Orange?

Sorry for being late on this, but this thread brought a smile to my face. Glad you had such a great experience cobl04! I'd like to have connections like the ones you had.

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom