stress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blindinglights7

The Fly
I've been really stressed out lately... but haven't really found a good way to deal. Stress is a crazy thing when you let it get to you.

So, just wondering, how do YOU deal with stress?

take on thing at a time
focus on something exciting in the future
get rid of all unnecessary stresses if possible...

:hug:

Well.... there are some proven and undeniably effective ways to reduce stress. Though it could lead to more later............

(*ahem*)

But really, you don't find external means to reduce stress, you do it from the inside out. One way may be to only focus on one thing at a time, and don't worry about tomorrow or yesterday, just do what you can do now.

And get lots of sleep. Sleep is the best for stress.
But sopmetimes it's hard to sleep if your stressed :shrug:

blindinglights7 said:
I've been really stressed out lately... but haven't really found a good way to deal. Stress is a crazy thing when you let it get to you.

So, just wondering, how do YOU deal with stress?

breathe in
breathe out
then have sex
oh look - no more stress :D

what I do is listen to music and take a long walk outside. it usually relieves a bit of stress. but at other times I run and listen to music. it's beneficial for the body too :up:

but I suppose stress relieving is different for each person. some people find relief by smoking, and other find playing a musical instrument (eg. drums) to take out their stress out on as relieving too.

^ that's true. My stepmom started dancing, jsut a few lessons, and then it evolved, and now she dances all the time. She so much happier now than I ever remember her.

listen to music loud w/ headphones, preferably while taking a walk if the weather's OK

just relax and watch TV, have a snack

play with my cats

read a book NOT for a school assignment

go shopping! :D

I'm horrible at dealing with stress. :( I usually end up crying and/or calling one (or both) of my parents, because they always make me feel better. I think I've been talking to my mom and dad at least 3 times each everyday lately. If I'm in a situation that at allows me to, I go for a walk with my iPod or just curl up on the couch and read or watch TV.

I can try to be, in a way, "carefree". Just brush things off. But then, at some point it just all comes rushing back at you, which is probably worse than dealing with it in the first place.

I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with my eating habits... I think the two (stress and eating) might go hand in hand. Eat like crap = feel like crap. Too much sugar and caffeine, not enough vitamins. I have started taking vitamin supplements though. But, of course, I can't only count on that. So, I may not be eating right because of the stress, and I may be stressed because of not eating right. :scratch:

I listen to Acrobat. That song is my soul.

And I go for walks, long walks, with my iPod. There is this building that is under construction yet no one ever seems to be there, it's like a two hour walk from my house, I walk there sometimes and it's real quiet and peaceful. Reading is great, another means of going to another place for awhile, so to speak.

Sleep is also good. And crying can help though sometimes it gets bad and I can't stop. Writing your thoughts out can make things better or make things worse but it works for some people. I sometimes play guitar or even drums (and I don't play drums, for the record) to let out my frustrations. I also have one final method of dealing with it but, uh, I wouldn't reccommend that to anyone.

I'm stressed a lot too. School, thinking about college, my social/love (ha!) life problems, other stuff... sometimes you gotta just not think about it, escape from it all. But also at some point you have to deal, you know, just try and relax and focus.

I'm definitely telling myself this more than you, sorry :huh:

Go to a good music store and find music desinged to help calm and relieve stress.

My favorite song for destressing is a Chinese classic, "The Maidens Of The Tea Mountain". But there are a lot of good songs, and they can vary from new age stuff to traditional stuff. If you have any sort of cultural thing that interests you, or a time period in US history that you like, maybe get some relaxing music from there.

As far as eating - just eat smart. Unless you have a disorder, I don't know how stress and eating works together. But you can prevent stress by taking care yourslef- preventing the "worry".

Work on calming yourself.

Try........

well, here is one exercise I know:

Stand up straight, but comfrotably so. Not rigid, but not hunched.
Focus for a bit on relaxing the very top of your head. After a few moments, (it's best to go slow), think about the sides of your head, and your face, and those things relaxing. (or some like to think about the flow of energy, in and out, or breathing patterns). After that, think of your jaw, and neck relaxing. Then shoulders, etc, etc.

It helps a lot.

Oh, and make sure that your bed is for sleep only
Unless, well, I don't know what your stance on sexual activities are. But that's not the point.
Don't do homework on it - that's the worst. Especially if you are really working your brain.

Oh yeah, although medications or things don't work on me, I do like tea. Like Camomile, or however you spell it. It doesn't really relax me, but it does for others. And, regardless, it does have a soothing aroma. There is one brand that has "Tension Tamer", which is camomile with vanilla, and that is plesant tasting.

Physical activity is another common and useful means at reducing stress

I either go running or shopping.

The latter is much more satisfying, and also much more expensive.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:yes:

Add to my list: flipping on a trampoline

Oooh... I like that idea!!! I used to be a gymnast, can still do quite a bit, and I do have a trampoline!!! But it's getting cold outside. :der:

Yes, I find that I'm highly dependent on physical activity. Whenever I sit around for a couple months inbetween athletic seasons I feel so bad. Right now I have winterguard, so it's okay. But I'm really out of shape. :hmm: Maybe I should run cross country like the coach wants me to...

I would have liked to have done more sports and stuff in HS ....

I don't "need' it to keep my feeling "well", but I realize I should implement it to balance out everything else.

Physical activity - :up: :up:

yes:up: I am in totally agreement with all the physical activity people:yes:

I workout every morning and it helps wiht stress..alot! If I miss a workout I am always grumpy and end up having a not so good day.

I have been SO stressed out lately. I'm behind in my schoolwork because I have so much to do that I don't even know where to start. I can usually take a deep breath and plow forward into what needs to be done, but I feel like this time I've reached a breaking point.

I've spent a good chunk of today listening to Xanax and Wine, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, and several other songs that usually make me feel better when I'm down.

Hopefully I will snap out of this soon. :huh:

I have a hard time recognizing stress. There for I don't know how or when to deal with it. I honestly feel I'm lucky in the sense that I have rarely if ever been stressed out. I'm pretty good and keeping things in perspective. I think that's where stress comes from. It's when you start losing that perspective on what's really important. I know when I feel anxious though. maybe that's a symptom of stress. I like to walk and listen to my ipod. Work outs really help to. A good workout clears you mind as well as exhausting your body.

Hallucination said:
I have a hard time recognizing stress. There for I don't know how or when to deal with it.

EXACTLY... I can feel the stress. I know it's there. But I'm not really sure where it's coming from. I know school causes a lot of my stress, but that's not all of it. And, you deal with different types of stress in different ways, so I'm not really sure how to deal with it. Identifying the source is the difficult part...

^ and the most important

It can be misleading, too, since you may not even realize what is causing you stress, even when it's right infront of you

Back
Top Bottom