Sort of like "racism"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
I felt like I was a bit "racist" today - but mainly because I feared for my life.

I was at the airport today exchanging some UK pounds for USDollars for my uncle. The exchange area is near where the people coming off of International flights depart through customs to connecting flights. The Tokyo flight just came in (the flight actually originates in China), and there were a ton of people walking out of the area with face masks on. I was trying to avoid all of them at any cost for fear of SARS.

But then I realized I was walking away from anyone I saw that was Asian. Very weird how the mind works.

:( :ohmy: :sad:

Don't worry. I will be avoiding you because you work in a high risk place. :D

It's not racism, it's called protecting one self, and all you may come in contact with. This is a serious illness with no cure or treatment, as of yet. It's only natural. Being safe doen't make you a racist...

Don't feel too bad. There are public transport drivers here who are beginning to avoid nurses and doctors because of SARS. There's a fine line between paranoia and protection, sadly.

Anyway, it's better to be safe than sorry.

:hug:

I agree that it was a natural (and obviously unintended) action. At least you realized what you were doing....that's not racism.

G.I. Joe, American hero!

Recondo- Don't hid in the frig
Remember, never get in anything that could close up and trap you.

I have many friends of Chinese descent who fear to even venture into our local ChinaTown, even though our city hasn't had any reported cases of SARS yet... I don't think it's a racist thing; I'm a little wary of talking to anyone who's been in Toronto in the past few weeks... regardless of who they are...

I wouldn't call it racism either... Zoney, you're not avoiding these poeople because of their race, gender, or religion...you're only protecting yourself because of a known, deadly virus that is known to come from a location where they're from.

Stay safe
:hug:

Back
Top Bottom