Sometimes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
..I still miss my Italy. (shhhh, this is a secret)

this is nearly 6 years ago..

And why do I miss Italy? I don´t know. I don´t think back too often. Sometimes I would just like to.. breathe it again, for the first time.

weird, isn´t it..

I really don´t know why. I haven´t been there in the last couple of years.

And I don´t want to go there. But hey, I miss the way.. people were.. Italian nonchalance, elegance, the food,

Last edited:
I have a friend who's a finalist for a Fulbright fellowship to go to Italy from October to July. If she gets it, I might try to swallow my fear of flying and go visit her and her husband and baby while they're there. Even if I don't get there next year, it's still one of the countries I most want to visit in the future, along with Ireland and Spain.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
..I still miss my Italy. (shhhh, this is a secret)

this is nearly 6 years ago..

And why do I miss Italy? I don´t know. I don´t think back too often. Sometimes I would just like to.. breathe it again, for the first time.

weird, isn´t it..

I really don´t know why. I haven´t been there in the last couple of years.

And I don´t want to go there. But hey, I miss the way.. people were.. Italian nonchalance, elegance, the food,

i'm the same with South Africa - haven't been back in 3 years and can't imagine living there again, but sometimes i just miss it soooo much.
its just the feel of the place you know, and the familiarity of it (something i'm still to achieve in london after almost 5 years).
and i also try not to look back because i know that if i went back it would never be the same, but sometimes i wonder what it would be like and whether i really should be there instead of here.

i'm going back for a holiday next year hopefully though, maybe that'll purge it from my system for another 3 years

I used to feel like that about my old house. It was in the same city, but in a very, very bad part of town. We left because it just wasn't safe. The house itself was a small, but lovely two story farm house, built over 100 years ago (it wasn't on a farm, but a hundred years ago that area was a farm and ours was the only house). We also had a double lot so plenty of room to play and "build forts" in the backyard.

After we moved, I'd start feeling like I missed it there, then I'd remember the gangs and the shootings and quickly change my mind.

I have fond memories of living in the house and playing in the yard.

Italy sounds lovely, so many places to go and different geography and climates. Maybe someday....

i miss rural, small town new jersey. :ohmy: :huh: yeah, it's true.

when i was younger, i couldn't wait to escape my hometown, that area and it's apparent stagnancy and limitations.

and so, i've been around the world, met new people, experienced new cultures, etc. etc., but after all is said and done, no other place compares.

perhaps it's nostalgia for a place where a lot of fond memories were imprinted in my soul. while none of these memories can be replicated even if i were to return now, i've come to appreciate the environment that helped bring about many of the positive, meaningful virtues and ideaologies i espouse today.

my current sentiment is also partly due a personal belief that man was never designed to live in a city context and that to do so long-term is essentially to thwart and damage one's soul. yeah, i say that while presently residing in singapore. living here has indeed proved to be a wake up call.

thank you for your replies.. apparently i´m not the only one to remember all that you can´t leave behind

Back
Top Bottom