Some Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
BD and I decided I should go down to London, for a fun day out by myself... and also for the huge Harrods sale :)shifty:) in the next couple of weeks.

But I have a fear of crowds :reject:
Whenever I'm in one, big or small, i start to become really panicky and have to find a way out as soon as possible.

To get to Harrods from King's Cross, I'll have to use the London Underground, because its quicker and cheaper.

When I was in London last year we had to use the Underground to get to the hotel. It was scary, and I vowed never to do it again. The crowds were terrible.... and it seemed everyone was in a hurry.

BD has reassured me, been supportive as always and believes that if I go to London and face this head on, I will overcome it in some way.

I genuinely believe her, but I'm recalling how uncomfy I was there last year.

I need to get over this. Does anyone have some advice or... has experienced this themselves?

Well ... I don't know that "just do it, it'll help you get over it" isn't the way for everyone to get over their fears.

It might work for some, but it doesn't work for everyone.

If this is a trip you really want to do, then maybe it's worth going for it. If it's not something you're really gung-ho about, then maybe it's not the best time/way to tackle your fears.

I'm not saying you should avoid crowds for the rest of your life or anything, but "just do it" isn't always the best thing for everyone. Do you have to do it alone? Can someone go with you to help guide you through it?

Good luck with it, though. Overcoming fears is hard.

I want to do this trip.

Its just this barrier I need to get over.
Also I'm thinking long-term too, I know I cant be like this forever.

To hold someone else's hand helps;) Or just have someone to talk to. I know because I used to hate crowds too... Though it was never some kind of a phobia... I just didn't like it and sometimes I got a little out of breath when I had people all around me in a train or something... Now I use the subway everyday and usually I don't have problems, just when it's really crowded and I feel people all around me, and I'm unabble to move... Well, sometimes I get a little sick in situations like this:wink: I used to go with a friend and when things got a little too ccrowded she would talk to me about other stuff like music, movies or whatever. It helps :up:
Anyway your fear is way bigger than mine was, but I think you can get over it...

Aha :hmm: problem solved.
I think all I need a distraction to take my mind off it, because normally when I do go out, someone is there with me so I have someone to talk to and keep me at ease.

I wanna do this alone, so I'll just take my iPod.

I also feel that everything will be fine everywhere else, its just the London Underground thats giving me the jitters.
But after looking at the LU website, King's Cross to Knightsbridge is just a 7 minute journey. Thats 2 songs :)

It's weird, because sometimes I love being a part of a huge crowd, I like getting lost in everything. Other times, I get terrified and just wish I was in the comfort of my home. I can relate to you.

I saw one U2 show on the last tour, and I went alone. After being lined up all day, I got in, found a spot, and started crying because it was just upsetting to be alone and surrounded by so many people, all squeezing in. I came so close to leaving before the opening act had even come on. I just knew I'd hate myself forever if I left after buying a ticket, making the trip, and then waiting outside for hours though, so I stuck it out. It was so worth it, of course...but it can be hard to deal with the anxiety in order to have some fun. Even though I didn't handle it very well, I managed, and I have a great memory. You may have some stressful moments on your trip, but it will surely be a lot of fun, so I hope that you will give it a try and enjoy yourself for the most part. :hug:

You can do it! To face a fear that hinders your life, the only thing you can do is face it head on.

The only way we got my son over his fear of dogs was to get one. And now he can go near any dog!

You'll be going to London all the time soon enough!!!

:hug: :hug:

I don't have any advice to give Wayne. Whenever I start to feel a bit panicky in crowds I do have a tendency to assert my personal space somewhat aggressively (read: I start shoving and pushing my way past anyone who walks into me) which isn't something I'd advise to start doing! But I just wanted to say good luck :up: Mind over matter and all that.

waynetravis said:

I also feel that everything will be fine everywhere else, its just the London Underground thats giving me the jitters.
But after looking at the LU website, King's Cross to Knightsbridge is just a 7 minute journey. Thats 2 songs :)

Try and travel at off-peak times, it shouldn't be too busy :up:

Go to a health food store and get some Rescue Remedy. It really works. And breathing. You might notice when you're panicky that your breathing is fast. Concentrate on slow, deep breaths and you'll see your anxiety levels decrease.

waynetravis said:

whats the peak times? lunch and 5pm?

I guess earlyish from 7.30-9.00 when people are getting to work and 4.30 onwards until late. From travelling on the underground I wouldn't have said it was any busier at lunch though :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom