Question about applying for jobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
How does one apply for and interview for jobs while employed full time? I'm on a temporary contract which expires in February and will probably not be renewed because our library is going complete self-service (I'm being replaced by robots! :D). I'm looking at other jobs now, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to attend interviews due to my current job. There are no dates in the next four months where I can take any more holiday time because only one person can be off at a time during term time, and I can't call in sick a dozen times. I can take one flex time day off per month, but if I have more than one interview in a month or someone else has requested that day off, I'm out of luck. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to suddenly end up unemployed in February.

You come in late, leave early, and take vacation or sick days. Use the "I have a doctor appointment" alot.

There is no other way.

But if you're boss knows your job is ending, you may be able to just tell them, "I have an interview for a job after this one ends." Everyone has to eat.

Unfortunately I can't come in late or leave early without getting fired (and I'm applying for jobs in London so I'll need a whole day, so I can't use the appointment excuse either). :slant:

Is there flexibility around your lunch hour?

For example can you take lunch from say 12 to 1 and go the interview in that time? Are there any flexi time arrangements in your current job?

Or else just schedule interviews during your lunch hour or outside normal office hours. Explain to the companies you are interviewing with that you can't do it in normal office hours. In a way this actually makes you look committed to your employer which is an attractive feature for a prospective job candidate to have.

My job is ending soon and it's not because of either my boss or my wishes (work reduction task :mad: ), so he told me if I get any interviews to just let him know and he'll let me leave and come back once the interview is over.

If it's a known fact the job is ending in February hopefully your boss would let you seek employment elsewhere? If possible, see if you can get appointments during lunch hours.

In any case, good luck with the job hunt. :hug:

I think they should cut you some slack if they are aware of the fact you are being replaced (by a robot). I know that we are letting somebody go in about a week and there were many accomodations made to her schedule, although in the end she decided she would just as well retire.

If the new jobs you are applying for don't have an immediate start time maybe try to schedule a couple of them in the same day so that if you do take a flex day you can get as much done as possible.

I would explain to your potential job what your current situation is and see if it is possible to schedule an interview after hours or on a weekend, as you have obligations with your current job that you can't break. That shows that you are responsible and actually care about your position with the company you presently work for. If the potential company isn't willing to be understanding and accomodate you, they probably aren't worth working for anyway.

"Just give me what I want, and no one gets hurt" - try that........

Well, I don't suppose singing vertigo at the top of your lungs would help much... :hmm:

I don't have anything to say. But I like Mr. Braus advice. And really, they should be understanding, especially if you are going to be replaced by..... robots..... :eyebrow: :huh:

Everyone does need to eat
I know I do :yes:

I think I'll be mistaken for a broken record soon, lol, but I reckon honestly Meg, hand the responsibility over to someone else. Send off your details to an agency when Feb is drawing closer. Any agency that tells you they are not hiring, ignore them and turn up unannounced when it is convenient for you. Send them copies of your resumes and references and go armed with hard copies as well, and go dressed for an interview. You will find that they may have an email or phone policy of turning people away, but will never shut the door in your face if you take as much iniative as turning up to get assessed to be put on the books. Tell them you want work - you dont care how or where, tempoary, fulltime, perm part time, contractual. You want it and need it. When work starts filtering through, you can start getting choosey, but you will already be marked as a 'go getter'. Let them find the work for you. And shop around if you have any significant complaints about your agency. They can be great.

...But I have been under contractual employment for way too long. So long, that I have come to love that I can come and go as I please, and am not limited to a mere 4 weeks annual leave and a higher pay rate and ....etc lol.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my boss is really strict so there's no flexibility with time off, and the university regulations require my employer to give me information about finding employment within the university if they don't extend my contract, so they don't have to give me time to seek employment elsewhere. I think I'll probably have to go with the agencies idea or just deal with being unemployed for a couple of months. My husband is looking for jobs in London now, so if he finds something before February I'll have to quit my current job before my contract is up anyway. :slant:

Back
Top Bottom