My Sponsor Child From Africa passed away...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Today I found out that the 8 year old girl who I have sponsored and who lived in Niger passed away in September. She was 8 years old and died from malaria.

I made sure that she had bed nets every year and a bed so she didn't have to sleep on the dirt. I sponsored her for the passed 4 years, we wrote all the time and sent pictures back and forth. Even though you weren't supposed to send material things I still sent her quite a few things. I knew she got them when she thanked me in a letter.

Along with a letter I received telling me what happened I was sent a new child to sponsor. Oddily enough, her birthday is New Years Day.

I am soooooo sad, she was a beautiful little girl. :angel:

scan0010_crop.jpg

I'm so sorry, JC. :hug: I saw the picture of her you posted on FB earlier today and it broke my heart.

That's really incredibly sad. At least you made her life better for the time that she was alive.

It really is a bigger problem than I thought. I thought because I sent bed nets she was safe. I guess your really not safe.

Bono is very correct when he talks about Malaria etc. I fully understand and don't understand at the same time. :huh:

:hug: I'm so sorry, that's so horrible. :sad: Children should never have to die. Yet you hear about it everyday over in these third world countries. This should be inspiration for people to try and help out over there.

You inspire me. In an unfair world, you made her life happier. :)

Thanks everyone, I just wanted everyone to know that the problem is huge. She had bed nets and still ended up with the disease.

Thanks again. :heart:

What a terrible story and a gorgeous little girl.

Bed nets only really protect you at night, but remember that it gets dark a lot earlier than that and the mosquitos will start biting in the evening. I just spent a bit of time in Africa this past summer (and was taking anti-malaria pills), and most people I met there have had malaria multiple times.

If only she had those pills. I'm having guilt and feel bad I couldn't save a life, her life over there.:doh:

Oh, no, please don't blame yourself because the locals don't take the pills. They are prohibitively expensive and they have terrible side effects, so you can take them for a short time as a tourist but they're not practical for daily use over many years. People there live with malaria in the way that we live with the flu - it's an accepted way of life, unfortunately. The problem is that there are several types, and one of them is particularly lethal (I can't remember the name).

You were one of the good things about this girl's life, and I bet she was super excited every time she got a letter or package. :heart:

Very sorry to hear it, but don't beat up yourself because of it - I'm sure she was very happy to have you as a sponsor, especially since you took that extra step in making her life more pleasurable.

Back
Top Bottom