Love is tough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read this entire thread, and I really feel for you man. I’ve been in a very similar situation recently.

Let me preface this by saying this is a very abbreviated story. I'm in my second year of university and I have had a very similar thing happen this semester. I met a girl in early September who had a boyfriend of two years at a different university (A&M, no less) and we got along perfectly. Same taste in everything. Same sense of humor. All that good stuff. I've been apprehensive about dating or having feelings for someone since my well-documented break up with the infamous former Miss imp13. So I decide that I really have feelings for this new girl early on, and wouldn't you know it, one night she cheats on him with me. She told me she has feelings for me and all that, but they were still together several months later. We went to shows together (Broken Social Scene, Rolling Stones, and Imogen Heap) just like you did with this gal, so I suppose they're pretty similar relationships. We were together constantly and made each other really happy. Like your girl, she’s also exceptionally attractive and gets a ton of attention as such. That was tough for me to deal with, but I had to bite my tongue, just like you did. Get ready for that though. It’s college and most guys are assholes like that. Fuck, we even had a “Kyle” type character that was hurt really bad when we did things alone. Very similar situations.

They finally broke up in early December, which had been coming for sometime since that guy was a complete cocksucker to her. I laid low for a little while to give her some space. That worked fine, we still were getting along great. When we were both heading back to our respective homes from Austin, she told me she had feelings for another guy and wanted me to know. The guy is a mutual friend, but that's neither here nor there. She basically strung me along and took advantage of me for the last three months.

Basically what I'm telling you is to be cautious. It's a tough situation, because you don't want to get too close and you don't want to get too distant. If you're distant, she may think you're 100% not interested. If you get too close, like I did, she'll only see you as a best bud.

I'm all for you continuing trying this deal. I can tell you care for her very much. But in the meantime, don’t hesitate to try other things and meet other people. You have no obligation to this girl. Hell, at a party midway through the semester I got the number of a UT cheerleader (whom a mutual friend told me was quite smitten with me) and I never called her because I was so caught up with the other girl. A TEXAS CHEERLEADER! There’s a decision I regret. Don’t make those same mistakes. You’re in college, and when opportunity knocks, you’ve got to take it.

You’re a fine young man, Lance, and I’ve respected you and appreciated your posts for awhile. I don’t want to see you make the same mistakes that I did. If it’s not there, it’s not there, so don’t waste time, effort, sweat, or tears if you can help it.

Epilogue: She’s with that guy now and I haven’t talked to the bitch in three weeks. I don’t miss her at all. She texted me yesterday asking if I wanted to buy tickets to see David Sedaris, and I flat out said no, not with her. I know it seems like if she doesn’t work out you’re going to be miserable, but it’s quite the opposite. Then again, maybe I’m just saying that because she totally fucked me over. My girl told me she had feelings for me for awhile too and then she did a 180, so there’s no telling what the deal is.

This post is incoherent, but hopefully you find something useful in it. I don’t want to see you wait forever and it not work out. I’ve been there and it absolutely fucking sucks. Give her that time, but do your best to make yourself available to others in the event it doesn’t work out. I regret not dating more and getting to know more girls. I don’t do it because I’m still very much in love with my ex (who is a freshman in college now....at UT as well.....living two floors below my apartment), but this girl struck a chord in me and I decided to give it another go. I got fucked, and now I’m not opening up for awhile. I don’t want to see that happen to you.

I apologize if it seems like I tried to make this about me. If I did, it wasn’t my intention. I just find the relationships remarkably similar and wanted to use my experience to illustrate what the worst case scenario is.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. From the start, our situations do seem remarkably similar. You didn't really tell me anything I don't already know, but that's not to say your post isn't 100% appreciated. I'm just saying that I know full well the dangerous position I'm in, and what I have to do to make things work. I'm not going to wait forever, but I am going to give her a little time to work a few things out before trying again. I have a feeling that she may actually need to be pushed a little to make a healthy decision for herself, one way or the other.

So I guess, we'll see how things go. But again, thank you for your story, from what I can tell you're a great guy too, and it blows you got shafted so hard. Best of luck to you as well.

Lancemc said:
Thank you for posting this. From the start, our situations do seem remarkably similar. You didn't really tell me anything I don't already know, but that's not to say your post isn't 100% appreciated. I'm just saying that I know full well the dangerous position I'm in, and what I have to do to make things work. I'm not going to wait forever, but I am going to give her a little time to work a few things out before trying again. I have a feeling that she may actually need to be pushed a little to make a healthy decision for herself, one way or the other.

So I guess, we'll see how things go. But again, thank you for your story, from what I can tell you're a great guy too, and it blows you got shafted so hard. Best of luck to you as well.

Yeah, I didn't figure any of it was going to help. You seem to be on the right track and Kate seems to be a genuinely good, beautiful girl. I just thought it'd be good to tell you to be cautiously optimistic. I don't want to see a good man hurt.

As pessimistic as these posts of mine seem, I'm not at all. I'm hoping you two have yourselves a fruitful relationship. You certainly sound like you deserve it and so does she. Despite my last two endeavors, I do very much believe in the power of love being a magic thing. Being in a loving, deep relationship was the best thing I've done with my life thus far.

inmyplace13 said:

Despite my last two endeavors, I do very much believe in the power of love being a magic thing. Being in a loving, deep relationship was the best thing I've done with my life thus far.

Well, I'll drink to that. Amen, my friend.

inmyplace13 said:
Epilogue: She’s with that guy now and I haven’t talked to the bitch in three weeks. I don’t miss her at all.
"The bitch is dead."

That's so pimp :cool:

snapshot20070108181800vm5.jpg

Inmp, what did you really expect? She cheated on her boyfriend to be with you. Then she wanders off from you to be with someone else. You expected to keep her loyal?

You blokes aren't seeing the forest for the trees, huh.

Angela Harlem said:
Inmp, what did you really expect? She cheated on her boyfriend to be with you. Then she wanders off from you to be with someone else. You expected to keep her loyal?

Good point. She obviously doesn't have much regard for anyone but herself.

Which is why I'm not all that worked up about it.

Angela Harlem said:
Isn't it the truth, though. Why do we lose our sight when we fall for someone?
I don't know, but it feels really good and really bad at the same time. Most emotions are simple, you get angry at someone that harms you, you get happy when someone is nice or helps you, you get sad when things don't go the way you hope, but romantic love holds so much mystery. The feeling of almost being at something great, but not quite there. The natural instinct is to leap for it, especially when you've never experienced it before.

I've had crushes on women, I've dated women, but I've never been in a relationship. Objectively at this point in my life, it doesn't make sense to me to bother. So much to do, living in two or three different places in the course of a year, it would take one heck of a bond and a hell of a lot of trust, patience, and understanding to sustain a relationship. So why would I bother trying? Unfortunately I'm human and I can't help myself.

Lancemc said:
I'm not going to wait forever, but I am going to give her a little time to work a few things out before trying again.

:up:

I don't have anything to add really because other people have said it already, but I do keep up on this thread and wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry things haven't gone smoothly, but in such a situation they weren't likely to, and at least you have a chance now. giving her time is probably the best thing you can do... you can't wait forever, but you're obviously not just gonna give up at the first sign of danger.

I'd tell you to date other girls, and you should eventually if in a couple months the situation seems to be the same, but I know when you're in love often times you don't even see any other options.

Lance, I'm sorry it's headed this way. (Sorry for my absense too.) I am going to go back to my initial advice to you in that email: you should wait it out, without physical contact or romantic involvement, tough as it may be, and in the mean time, you know, though you love her, she might not be the optimal or even a good person to get into a relationship with unless she somehow does a lot of learning from her time with Jordan and a fair bit of emotional maturing. So I know it might take time to get over her, but go on the rebound, date, keep an open and hopefully clear mind to her AND to other girls. Because you told her about your feelings and became intimate, it may be difficult to be there as a friend and only a friend, but that's what you have to do to be fair to yourself.

:hug: and good luck.

I got dosed by you, and
closer than most to you, and
what am I supposed to do, and
take it away, I never had it anyway
take it away, and everything will be ok

So I get back into school Saturday afternoon, and give her a call to fiund out when she'll be back. She says Monday, so I hang out (it's been more boring than usual around here, btw :shrug: ) and wait around. Today was kind of nerveracking because I just had no idea what to expect, I mean, I haven't seen her in person since for about a month. So I'm hanigng out with Kyle (who by the way seems to have come to terms with everyone and is pretty much back to normal) when she shows up around 5 and asks us to come to dinner with her and her friend from home who's here for the week. Of course we agree, because hell, we haven't all hung out together for a long time now.

But the weird thing was seeing her again. Especially like that, because she was running around, real busy having just gotten back in and all. So there wasn't really any time to chat. But for that quick moment, I just got a whole, shocking rush of emotion that I really didn't expect. And all during dinner my emotions just kept swinging all over the place. It's hard to explain. It's like half of me was unbelievably happy to see her again, and another half of me was incredibly upset to see her again. I've never felt so emotionaly backassward and split in my entire life.

I think some of it had to do with the way we both seemed to completely ignore the fact that anything had ever happened between us. I mean, it's not like I expected anything to be brought up, especially not with her friend and other people with us, but it still struck my the wrong way for some reason. And the whole night I kept looking for that connection we had when we looked into each others eyes. That sort of silent "I love you" that we could exchange across a room in complete secrecy. I'm not sure if I saw that tonight or not. I think I did once or twice at dinner, and I'm really too fucked up right now to rationally decode any subconcious body language bullshit or whatever.

I wish I could just do myself a huge favor and move on. But I don't know if I'm strong enough for that. I could say I wanted to, but that would probably be a lie. And I also know that it's definitely too soon to be certain of anything, including my own feeling right now, but I can't help but think. I said to her once over break that I'd alway be able to be her friend whatever happens between us, and I want that to be true. But if that means every minute we spend together feels like this, I don't think I can do that for her. I can't stand this "phoney" sort of "yeah we're just good buds" behavior together, when we definitely aren't at that stage yet again. I mean, we could get there in time. But right now? I don't think so. And yet I know she acts differently when she's hosting company and I understand that, but still. It's a brutal feeling.

I mean you can't get that intimate with sombody for 3 or 4 good days and then seperate for a whole damn month, leaving on an extremely positive note, and then come back the first day and fool yourself into feeling like nothing ever happened. I wish I could move on. I wish it was that simple. But I don't think I can do that and still maintain this fake sort of friendship with her. Which is a shame, because we really were each other's best friend here at school before this whole thing started. Yet, I don't want to do that to her, and if I end up moving in with Kyle this week (which is looking like the plan) then how can I stay away from her, when the 4 of us always do shit together? I mean, it's impossible to stay close to one, and not the others. And like I said, I don't really want to move on. Not yet. I've invested too much of myself in this to convince myself the best thing to do is let it go.

And, I also have trouble believing that God would guide me into this so strongly, only for it to turn out so sourly. But, I'm rambling, and not making any sense. So hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow with a clearer head. Ha. Here's to hoping.

Whatever you do, keep God out of it. I'd suggest meeting other women real fast. You're young. You'll fall "in love" with someone else, believe me.

Lancemc said:

I mean you can't get that intimate with sombody for 3 or 4 good days and then seperate for a whole damn month, leaving on an extremely positive note, and then come back the first day and fool yourself into feeling like nothing ever happened. I wish I could move on. I wish it was that simple. But I don't think I can do that and still maintain this fake sort of friendship with her. Which is a shame, because we really were each other's best friend here at school before this whole thing started. Yet, I don't want to do that to her, and if I end up moving in with Kyle this week (which is looking like the plan) then how can I stay away from her, when the 4 of us always do shit together? I mean, it's impossible to stay close to one, and not the others. And like I said, I don't really want to move on. Not yet. I've invested too much of myself in this to convince myself the best thing to do is let it go.

No Pryck2U, it doesn't have anything to do with God. It was you, Lance, who made the choice to chase a girl who has a boyfriend and fool around behind his back.

This might come as a shock to you but I suspect if you speak to a lot of people they will have been in a situation where they thought they really liked someone, thought something was going to happen and then it all turned sour when they were your age. Probably more than once too.

Once I thought that a friend really liked me but after a few months of always going out on Friday and Saturday nights, him always arranging everything, wanting to drive me there and getting me little gifts he said he wasn't interested in me. Of course it sucks and you wonder how you'll be able to hang out with each other when you have the same friends. You realise something else, the same people you call friends now, you probably won't even see in a few years time.

3 or 4 days? That's nothing. Blink and you miss it. You didn't start a relationship with her in 3 or 4 days especially when she already had a boyfriend. And yes, yousins were apart for a month. Who did she see during that month? Her boyfriend. She dithered over dumping him, went away with him, put off breaking up with him. There have been indications along the way that this girl wasn't going to come running to you. You might be hurt now but you were willing to let her hurt her boyfriend (and even poor Kyle) not so long ago. Someone was always going to get hurt in this charade. Cease contact for a while. Date other people. You've gotta stop going over something that never really was and realise there are countless birds out there to date and have fun with.

Last edited:
Lancemc said:

And, I also have trouble believing that God would guide me into this so strongly, only for it to turn out so sourly. .

IF you want to drag God into this, maybe you could interpret this as Him wanting to teach you a valuable lesson regarding what you want vs. what you need, which,in this case, are two completely different things alltogether.

See what you can learn from this whole experience rather than mourn over something that never was :up:

the soul waits said:

IF you want to drag God into this, maybe you could interpret this as Him wanting to teach you a valuable lesson regarding what you want vs. what you need, which,in this case, are two completely different things alltogether.

See what you can learn from this whole experience rather than mourn over something that never was :up:

I am trying to interpret it that way. I did think of this this morning actually. Thank you.

Lara Mullen said:
Date other people. You've gotta stop going over something that never really was and realise there are countless birds out there to date and have fun with.

Easier said then done, because, as one famous Irish singer once said, "Love Is Blindness"

But...I Think it is true

Now I'm going to hijack this thread, if I may, just for a moment :)

I would say I am in a simalar posioton as Lancemc (the original post), execpt the Girl I am interested in doesn't have a boyfriend at present

So...We became good friends more so around the time school was finishing up...so...lets say October 2005. We started hanging out a bit, movie nights ect ect, i asked if she wanted to go out for tea one night, ok, so it was only pizza..(and yes, I had a Ham And Pineapple, and she had some pasta :) )

Anywho, one weekend when she was a way I decided to write an e-mail and see if she wanted to do the dinner thing again now....and ...I remember writing that the night would be on me...I don't know if thats crossing the thin line or not...I didn't think it would cause any harm or anything to the friendship, but as it turns out , she didn't really speak to me for a few months.

It wasn't until her going away party in April last year ("The E-mail incident" happened in January)...that she started talking to me again, which I thought was great...the downside, she was going to Edinburgh to live from April To January this year (She got back last friday :hyper: )...She was missed terribly by me, I was actually going to go and visit for a month or so...but lack of funds ruled that out.

Since then I've seen her a bit. I actually spent most of the day at her place on Monday, In the end I was invited (albeit by her mother) to stay for dinner (like I was going to turn a free meal down anyway :wink: )....but that whole day, I wanted to say to her how I feel, and that she's the most lovely person that I know...how much i love spending time with her, and (before this turns into a script from a movie)...how I would love to just lay and watch a movie or something with her, even if it was crap. ahhh its become a movie script!.... script...you get my point!

Anyway, I just don't know what to do from here, I guess you can say I'm a bit of a shy person when it comes to these sorts of things, and do Lack confidence when it comes to these things....but...yes....some advice would be lovely....
She is off to Uni (Australian Readers) College (American Readers) ...at the end of February, so If I'm going to do anything about this, I think I should probably do it before she goes?....I dont know...I really don't

Even if it kills me to be just friends, I'll accept a friendship rather than If i was to ask her and screw everything up.....

Awww, Love sucks, but I bet when all the pieces fall into place I bet its the most wonderful thing there is.

P.S we're going camping this weekend....well there is a group of us, we're going to the beach, it should be awesome!

Last edited:
bono_man2002 said:

Easier said then done, because, as one famous Irish singer once said, "Love Is Blindness"

But...I Think it is true

I would say I am in a simalar posioton as Lancemc (the original post), execpt the Girl I am interested in doesn't have a boyfriend at present

Ah...but it is true, and not because Bono said it. That stems back to Eros who we know as that blindfolded little chap called cupid who enjoyed firing arrows at random people to amuse himself and create all sorts of trouble. It was blind love that they say started the Trojan war so that one has been around for a while.

Your situation is a bit different from Lance's. He wanted to go out with someone who had a boyfriend.

Of course it is scary, exciting and thrilling when you like somebody and you're anxious to ask them out, but when both parties are available. Everyone thinks differently about that though. That's just my opinion.

It's never nice to be hurt or feel rejected no matter what the circumstances...lots of us have been there. Hopefully you'll get the courage to ask this girl out soon and Lance will move on too, I'm sure. :hug:

Bonoman 2002 is right. We've all been there before. Back in the early 90's when I was in college, I had a female friend who I wanted to have as a girlfriend. She went away to school, while I stayed in my hometown. We'd write to each other and she'd always hang out with me when she came home from school. I thought she was the perfect girl. Smart, funny, hot, sexy and a little crazy too. But, I wasn't boyfriend material for her. We were close friends, but nothing more. We'd go out to bars in our little group of friends and she'd go work the bar, while I made sure that nobody was out of line with her. I loved her so much, I was content to at least be her friend. I didn't take it personally when she would flirt with other guys when I was with her. Most of the time, I was the one that dropped her off at home after one of our nights out. Her father trusted me to look after her. But after 3 years and 3 failed attempts to woo her into being my girlfriend, I finally decided I wasn't going to hang out with her anymore. For me, she was just a reminder of a failure from the past. I was in my early 20's. I had to let go and try to meet someone else. Now, there will never be a girl like her, but that's ok. There was only room for one of her. Fast forward 10 years later, I'm engaged to a great lady and very happy. I guess my point is that all young men and women go through these wacky relationships where they spend a lot of time evaluating their feelings. It's all perfectly normal.

Well. I really didn't want to update this again. The story has pretty much run its course, and things are back to the way they probably should have always been. A lot has happened since my last update. We've been back to school now for almost a month, and things are generally pretty good.

Basically, she decided that her relationship with Jordan means too much to her to let it go without a fight. They're never really had to "work" on their relationship before, so they're going to stick together and work out their problems. Basically this left me with two decisions. One way or the other I would have to move on, but I could either do it with or without her friendship.

So I decided I didn't want to loose her for good, so I took a couple days and sort of meditated on the whole bloody ordeal. At first I was pretty upset and felt pretty shitty. But after only about a day I came to a good state of mind. I understand my role in this, and it really is the "right" thing for them to stay together. I was just a detour from the road in her path with him. I think I genuinely want them to be happy together. They deserve each other from what I can tell. And I think that's a good release for me to move on. I want to move on, and I think I have been moving on fairly well. I haven't met anyone yet, but I'm at least trying now. :)

So, our friendship is actually stronger than ever. I told her how I feel about this, and we both agreed that it's great if we can continue like we were before this happened. I'd like to believe that's possible, but I've never been in this position before, so I'm not entirely sure. But things have been going very well so far.

That was until tonight. Jordan came up from NC to spend the weekend with her and start to work out their issues. And, while I do want to be happy for them, and think I can eventually, I wasn't really ready for the emotions that came with seeing them together tonight. It basically felt like a swift kick in the jewels. Without getting into too much detail, I'm feeling incredibly low right now. The worst I've felt since she told me for good that we weren't going to happen. I can't shake this awful feeling, and I suspect it's going to stay until after the weekend.

I don't know what to do in the short-term. I've been trying to focus on other things, like music and my Audio Production classes (I've been listening to Blood on The Tracks a ton...probably not a great idea :lol: ), and hanging out with my other friends as much as possible. I'm just doing my best to avoid them this weekend.

:sad:

:sad: I've been watching this thread since it started, but never said anything...but I just wanted to say that I am so so sorry. :hug:

The reason I've been following this was because I went through something really similar about two years ago, and it tore me up for the longest time. I honestly know what it feels like, especially to have to watch the person you care about with someone else. I know that people say all the time that things will get easier with time but it just feels like the most impossible thing, that it will never get better, and you will always love this person...but it's honestly true. And maybe that doesn't mean much, because it sounds kind of cheesy, and I know that I didn't believe it when I was angsting over a guy, but it is true.

Well, I wish you all the best, and you seem to be a really great, well-balanced guy, and you certainly seem to be handling this sort of situation much better than I did, so I have faith that you'll make it through. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom