Layoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Gosh, I feel bad.

I've been at my new job for just over 6 months. They're letting people go today in my dept. Some of these people have been here for 5 years or more, and they're gonna be gone. I've been told I'm safe, but today is gonna suck. I'm afraid they'll be mad at me because i'm so new, and staying. Feck. I hate Black Wednesday.

:mad: Yes-I hate layoffs! they never seem entirely fair!1 Never-except for the Highest on the list-CEO's, etc..,! And I have heard stories from both sides of this! My friend told me she was layed off from her job after 18 years-just now is getting her 'retirement' from that job-$118.00 per mo! Most of the Ex employees are dead now!!:madspit: I am glad that you still have a job though, really tought without one!:)

A close friend of ours worked for Xerox Corp. for nearly 24 years; he was assigned a trainee...within two months, she succeeded him and he was cut loose...

Sad to see that he is now clerking at Kaiser Permanente's Records room.. :(

I've been laid off so many times in the past few years. It sucks. I've been at my new job for 1 month as of today but before that I was out of work for 3 months due to a layoff. Last year it was 4 months.

My advise to you is never believe you're safe once people around you start getting laid off. You just never know when it'll be your time. I'd start to look around for another job just to have a back up plan. Trust me. I've been "safe" too and a few weeks later I got different news. At my last job there was a guy who was told for weeks he wasn't getting laid off and then he saw his name on the official list of people who were going.

Good luck. :hug: I hope you don't have to deal with being laid off and/or out of work. :(

ahh yeah, corporate layoffs suck my right buttcheek. i remember the first time my dad got laid off, it was due to a big merger (martin marietta and lockheed). they basically laid off half of their employees. they kept the girl at lockheed cuz she was someone's girlfriend. :tsk:

congrats on not losing your job though. don't feel guilty, hopefully they're just keeping the good workers. :D

It's a mirror of the 1980s, down to a president who doesn't give a fuck.

This time, though, it's the non-union, white collar world getting the axe. Looks like the union, blue collar jobs that were beaten down in the 1980s were only the first step; but I guess we have to know the cardinal rule of business: profits at all costs. Profits above loyalty. Profits above ethics. Profits above seniority. Labor is as expendable as the machinery they operate, and business people learn this in Economics 101. Needless to say, I never left a class more angry ever, considering I read the same textbook and could argue how the current interpretation of economic theory was, in fact, a bastardization of capitalism. After all, though, I guess it matters in how one focuses capitalism: towards the people or towards big business. Colleges, however, teach economic theory to favor big business always, and this is the end result. Job instability. All so some "investors" can get dividends. Well, I'd like to shove those "dividends" right up their old crusty......

I'd suggest looking for a new job, when possible. In five years, you could be the one laid off next. After all, you now see what kind of "ethics" this company has: none.

Melon

melon said:
It's a mirror of the 1980s, down to a president who doesn't give a fuck.

This time, though, it's the non-union, white collar world getting the axe. Looks like the union, blue collar jobs that were beaten down in the 1980s were only the first step; but I guess we have to know the cardinal rule of business: profits at all costs. Profits above loyalty. Profits above ethics. Profits above seniority. Labor is as expendable as the machinery they operate, and business people learn this in Economics 101. Needless to say, I never left a class more angry ever, considering I read the same textbook and could argue how the current interpretation of economic theory was, in fact, a bastardization of capitalism. After all, though, I guess it matters in how one focuses capitalism: towards the people or towards big business. Colleges, however, teach economic theory to favor big business always, and this is the end result. Job instability. All so some "investors" can get dividends. Well, I'd like to shove those "dividends" right up their old crusty......

I'd suggest looking for a new job, when possible. In five years, you could be the one laid off next. After all, you now see what kind of "ethics" this company has: none.

Melon

melon got it right.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
There's no such thing as job security anymore. Sad, but true. :|

I doubt there ever was such a creature. It is more a romantic vision of the job market. Unless you start your own business, you will always lack control over your employment.

Back
Top Bottom