Inside Broadcast V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interferencejail.jpg

unico said:

However in an internet forum, where the mission is to provide that free exchange of ideas, there will be as many disagreements as there are agreements, both amongst members and between members and moderators. Telling people not to post images as an act of disagreement is, IMO, actually sort of scary. Because if you think about it, in a way it is saying that the mods don't want these particular images because it is offensive to them, which then puts them in the same bag as an avatar or sig that was specifically defaming you, which, again, I don't believe it is the original intention. It isn't about you or one other mod, it is simply a disagreement. I think outright banning such pictures is going to (and already has) cause more of a stir and disruption in the environment than allowing them to run their course. People will move on.

I don't think that you should feel that a request to refrain from using certain images is scary. I'd tell you that I think you may be taking this too seriously...but that's not really fair to you, because I think many of us (myself definitely included) actually are taking this too seriously. :laugh: Yeah, many argue it's "just the internet", but a lot of us include Interference as part of our daily routine, so it's understandable why we can get riled up and so passionate about things that happen. Honestly though, I don't want you to be fearful of the direction Interference is headed in or anything. I don't like to hear you say that something we did sounds scary, I don't want us to make people feel that way. Like you said, people will move on. Eventually, this will be a non-issue. It sure is a hot one right now though. :wink: I just hope that some good will, or has already, come from it.

Bonochick said:

I don't think that you should feel that a request to refrain from using certain images is scary. I'd tell you that I think you may be taking this too seriously...but that's not really fair to you, because I think many of us (myself definitely included) actually are taking this too seriously. :laugh: Yeah, many argue it's "just the internet", but a lot of us include Interference as part of our daily routine, so it's understandable why we can get riled up and so passionate about things that happen. Honestly though, I don't want you to be fearful of the direction Interference is headed in or anything. I don't like to hear you say that something we did sounds scary, I don't want us to make people feel that way. Like you said, people will move on. Eventually, this will be a non-issue. It sure is a hot one right now though. :wink: I just hope that some good will, or has already, come from it.

You know, perhaps "scary" was probably not the right word, I think you're right about that. :)

I thinkwhat I meant to say was too strict. Haha yeah that sounds much better. And I think good is coming from it actually. These candid discussions for example, they speak a lot to the mods' concern for us and the overall feel of the site. So while on one hand I felt that banning avatars/sigs was too strict, on the other hand I think it is great that such discussion is encouraged.

oooh! More bannings/suspensions! Yay! Made my day. :)

...as for the avatar/sig line debate -- anything that puts more Bernese Mountain Dog pics up is a good thing in my opinion. Those dogs are the cutest damned things ever! I just want to hug them. :)

I just hope the girl who had the Bono crotch shots as an avatar never gets banned.... :yikes:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I also think that aside from rules, it's a matter of opinion if someone is "offensive" or "unfunny," and if the majority believes that a suspended/banned person isn't either of those things, that should be taken into consideration.

So some people think whether someone is offensive and/or insulting and unfunny is up to a majority opinion? And how would anyone here know what that opinion is anyway? The majority here isn't made up of just your friends :) It is up to the mods and the rules to decide that, not anyone's friends or any majority opinion that anyone has or anyone thinks exists. I really dislike message boards that are run as popularity contests-and what you are suggesting sounds like that to me. ylime U2 is corrrect, what is offensive/not and unfunny/funny is subjective-and that's not the only reason for the suspension anyway the way Sicy described it.

You can defend people because they're your friends and in spite of whatever they do if that's your choice, but that has nothing to do with what the mods have to do around here and shouldn't have any influence in their decisions in my opinion. So I think that is what might be causing the perceived conflicts here. But really there is no conflict.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Trolls don't have to always be 'offensive' to be a troll. Trolls intentially post to stir up shit, and that's what he did all the time...

It has nothing to do with sense of humour.

I'm quoting this post again because it sums it up perfectly regarding the person in question. It appears most defending them simply glazed over it and ignored it.

The person in question did this on a semi daily if not daily basis over the last 1 1/2 to 2 years. According to the mods they warned him over and over that this behavior was not acceptable and he continued to do it intentionally. Its flat out against the rules here. Even if it wasnt, its still not an acceptable practice. In your own personal life if someone antagonized, stirred crap up and provoked you and your family and friends on purpose or even not on purpose (which there is no way thats the case here) would you want to be around them? I dont think most if any would. Sure its the internet, but that doesnt make it right. Its human beings interacting with human beings and that type of behavior is not deemed acceptable by most people. Just because they are hiding behind a monitor and keyboard is no excuse to behave that way and it doesnt make it acceptable.

I think most of you know they did this all the time. If you dont then you just werent paying attention to his posts/threads or dont visit the board that often. I think some of you are either friends with him in some way and/or are guilty of similiar behavior at times and are basically trying to defend your own actions in the process or you think you may be next because of your similiar behavior.

The mods gave the person alot of chances over a long period of time. I think its a credit to them for being so patient and showing restraint for so long. After dealing with this for at a minimum of a year (if not more) and giving out many warnings on public posts and apparantly in private also they finally had enough and took action. How are they rewarded? With a puppy avatar/signature protest. I dont blame them one bit for being upset with that. You may not say its a slap in the face but it really is. For the most part they are criticized no matter what they do. A thankless job. But there are rules here and its what keeps this board together. Its one of the reasons this board is one of the best out there and the mods here are a large part of that. Really, there are about 10 to 15 maximum of you participating in the little protest. Out of 54,000 registered members. Do you really think you are the majority? Your just the most vocal about this and I think for most its the reasons I outlined previously.

Its not even a permanent banning.

Bonochick said:
Trust me, I personally am not as uptight as I come across sometimes. There are things I've posted at a Ryan Adams board I go to that I would never say here...but they are two completely different environments.

But why is this? Why would a Ryan Adams board be so much different than a U2 board? Are U2 fans so much more sensitive than Ryan Adams fans where we have to be more strict and careful about what we say? Is an uptight enviroment really what we are going for here? Out of the few boards I post on, Interference is definitely the most tightly controlled. And while it definitely has it's benefits, there are some drawbacks as well. Fun can be a good thing.

MrsSpringsteen said:

So some people think whether someone is offensive and/or insulting and unfunny is up to a majority opinion? And how would anyone here know what that opinion is anyway? The majority here isn't made up of just your friends :) It is up to the mods and the rules to decide that, not anyone's friends or any majority opinion that anyone has or anyone thinks exists. I really dislike message boards that are run as popularity contests-and what you are suggesting sounds like that to me. ylime U2 is corrrect, what is offensive/not and unfunny/funny is subjective-and that's not the only reason for the suspension anyway the way Sicy described it.

You can defend people because they're your friends and in spite of whatever they do if that's your choice, but that has nothing to do with what the mods have to do around here and shouldn't have any influence in their decisions in my opinion. So I think that is what might be causing the perceived conflicts here. But really there is no conflict.

:up: Nice post, I wish I had read this before I made my last comment. :)

elevated_u2_fan said:
Holy Shit!

I go away for a couple of days and I come back to dog Avatars everywhere...

now I'm affraid to leave my computer in case something else happens!

I know this stuff is supossed to ba adictive but...

This is the most action this board has seen in ages! Can't believe you missed it! Hopefully puppyboi will be back. :( :wink:

Chizip said:

But why is this? Why would a Ryan Adams board be so much different than a U2 board? Are U2 fans so much more sensitive than Ryan Adams fans where we have to be more strict and careful about what we say? Is an uptight enviroment really what we are going for here? Out of the few boards I post on, Interference is definitely the most tightly controlled. And while it definitely has it's benefits, there are some drawbacks as well. Fun can be a good thing.
Fun and failure both start with the same letter. :shame:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom