I'm proposing to my girlfriend tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stammer476

Refugee
Normally, I think a lot of this personal posting gets a bit too much like group therapy, but the soon-to-be upcoming events in my life show me how much benefit it can have.

I'm supposed to be writing a paper right now, but I can't concentrate for two seconds because tonight is one of the biggest nights of my life. Finally, I am going to ask my girlfriend to marry me.

I've spent all morning talking to my parents, friends, and loved ones about this big occasion. I've gotten everything in place (t-minus 4.5 hours and counting), yet I'm so tired of staring at a blinking computer screen I've gone against my own standards and written this up on this site for everyone to read.

In case you can't tell, I'm as nervous as Carrot Top at an NAACP convention. I know she'll say yes, but that knowledge won't seem to stop my hands from shaking (which makes it really hard to type, by the way). I've loved her for so long, and I can't wait to make her my wife. But I can't help but go through the normal questions of "Am I the one for her?" or "Do I really have what it takes to make her happy for the rest of her life?"

I know it's just nerves. I know we'll have a great life together. There, now I feel better. Thanks for listening, and putting up with my ramblng about my personal life. I'm a longtime U2 fan but new to this forum. Looking forward to good times ahead.

SHE SAID YES!!!

Allright, now the full story . . .

I called her that night to see if there was anything specific she wanted to do. Since she said no, I told her that I was not really feeling especially social, and just wanted to come back to my house and watch a movie or something. What I had planned, however, was that three of my best friends and three of her best friends were placed in different sites around the city that were special to our relationship (i.e. the place of our first date, the place I first told her I loved her, etc.). When she went down to the lobby to see me, my best friend Steve was waiting for her with a rose in his hand. He told her to get in the car, and he took her to the first spot. Once he let her out, he gave her a card that I had written about everything I was thinking during our first date, and then told her that once she finished reading it, her next driver would arrive. And so it went for five more destinations around the city, each person dropping her off and giving her a card about that special place. Finally, the last driver blindfolded her and drove her to a park, where I was waiting in a gazebo. The last driver walked her up to me and untied her blindfold. By this point she was bawling. I pulled out the last card from my pocket, which had a poem in it I had written for her. I read the poem, got down on one knee and asked if she would marry me. Thankfully, she said YES!

It was a wonderful moment, and my friend Steve was hiding behind a tree getting the whole thing on videotape. I'm sure it will be fun to show everyone at the wedding in August.

Thanks for all of your support, everyone. The U2 community is truly the greatest fan community in the world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom